Compressed Hours- holiday entitlement

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
My place of work has a compressed hours scheme. I thought about working my weekly hours over 4 days, instead of 5. However, I then learned that they take 20% off your holiday entitlement.

Is this normal practice?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
My place of work has a compressed hours scheme. I thought about working my weekly hours over 4 days, instead of 5. However, I then learned that they take 20% off your holiday entitlement.

Is this normal practice?

Where I work, we get allocated a set number of hours leave per year dependent on the hours you work, so it doesn't matter if you work four or five days, you'd still get the same leave.

GregKael

Medal Winner
Visit site
Seems iffy to me, almost like your bosses have found some way of getting people to work more for less, and think it's a good thing. It's probably entirely legal but it's definitely unfair.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Is this normal practice?

My wife works with the Local Authority, she does her 10 days over 9 and has every second Friday off. There is a complicated way that it is worked out, depending if a compressed hours day falls on a public holiday etc and having to pay back for holidays. She reckons she may lose 1 day over a year but certainly not 20%, she has over 30 days anyway. pm me if you want

tincup

Head Pro
Visit site
I work compressed hours in the NHS and work 37.5 hours over 4 days instead of 5. Because I still work full time hours I get the full entitlement which is 300 hours including bank holidays. And when bank holidays fall on a Monday (the day I dont work) I get them hours to take elsewhere.
Although when i want to book days off i have to use 9.5 hours per day instead of 7.5 hours like other members of the department unless it is a Friday when I only have to use 9 hours.
Hope all that makes sense

So my understanding is that if you work full time hours no matter how many days you work it over you should be entitled to the full entitlement of annual leave

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Is it weird that it seems fine to me

If you reduce the days worked by 20% it seems to follow that the holiday days are also reduced by 20%

Otherwise folk would have too many holiday days relative to their working week

25 days holiday on 5 day working week means 5 weeks off
for a 4 day working week only 20 days holiday is required for the same time off as only 4 days holiday are required to achieve a week off instead of 5

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

If you reduce the days worked by 20% it seems to follow that the holiday days are also reduced by 20%

for a 4 day working week only 20 days holiday is required for the same time off as only 4 days holiday are required to achieve a week off instead of 5

It's the wording that matters - if you working full time hours, you're entitled to the same number of hours. But obviously, for this individual, that will mean less days off.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site

It's the wording that matters - if you working full time hours, you're entitled to the same number of hours. But obviously, for this individual, that will mean less days off.

And therein lies the confusion. I 'get' that I'm off one day a week and as such in the office only 80% vs my colleagues.

However, I still work the same hours as my colleagues. I put in what they put in.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Yeah I guess it depends on whether the OP holiday entitlement is specified in hours, days or weeks

If its days or weeks then it must be reduced in line, if its in hours then it needs to remain the full amount

(i've never had a job where my holiday entitlement was set out as a number of hours)

edit: actually if its weeks it remains as is

Its only if its days that it needs to drop

Last edited:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Yeah I guess it depends on whether the OP holiday entitlement is specified in hours, days or weeks

If its days or weeks then it must be reduced in line, if its in hours then it needs to remain the full amount

(i've never had a job where my holiday entitlement was set out as a number of hours)

edit: actually if its weeks it remains as is

Its only if its days that it needs to drop

My current job is hours and it's actually much easier to keep track of in my mind!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yep- it's days plus public hols

Yeah fraid I’ll need to side with the company on this one then

Understand you’ll feel peeved due to working same hours as a 5 day worker (although there are social and financial benefits to a 4-day week that they wont get) but to get holiday parity the number of days should drop

(I imagine a part timer working 4 hours a day for 5 days a week currently gets the same number of holiday days as you, but they only work half the hours.
Essentially the number of hours don't come into it since its 'days' holiday with the amount of entitlement being based on a 5 day week)

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I was always under the impression that it was based on your working hours. Normally a working week is 35 hours (Appreciate it can differ vastly) for an employed person. If you are able to compress these hours into a shorter working week it should not affect your holiday entitlement as you are putting in the same number of hours as someone who chooses not to. I had plenty of staff who worked short weeks and were entitled to full holiday and I did the same for 2 years while it suited our lifestyle.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I was always under the impression that it was based on your working hours. Normally a working week is 35 hours (Appreciate it can differ vastly) for an employed person. If you are able to compress these hours into a shorter working week it should not affect your holiday entitlement as you are putting in the same number of hours as someone who chooses not to. I had plenty of staff who worked short weeks and were entitled to full holiday and I did the same for 2 years while it suited our lifestyle.

He'll get the same hours off, but this will equate to less full days.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try thinking of it like this, each one of your days is longer than your colleagues, it’s actually 1.2 days.

So if you have a week off it is 4x1.2 = 5days
If your colleague has a week off it is 5x1 = 5 days.

It’s the exact same amount of leave, you haven’t lost anything in this scenario, it’s just your days off are now “worth” more than your colleagues, so you get fewer overall. Through the year you get the exact same amount of time off because of the day a week you don’t work.

It’s easier to think of your leave entitlement in hours, rather than days, since your day is no longer a traditional day in the compressed hours secnario.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

No it doesn't work because he wouldn't be working 4 normal days, he's talking about working longer hours on those days. So if a standard work day is measured as 7 hours, but instead he works say 9 hour days Mon-Wed and 8 hours on Thursdays, then he's still working a 35 hour week and his holiday should be exactly the same.

Basically, if your work has flexible working hours, then your holiday should be measured in hours rather than days as well. If he chooses to work 9 hours instead of a 7 hour day, that doesn't mean his holiday days should then be measured as 9 hours as well - they should still be the standard number of hours, otherwise he's being mugged off.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
No it doesn't work because he wouldn't be working 4 normal days, he's talking about working longer hours on those days. So if a standard work day is measured as 7 hours, but instead he works say 9 hour days Mon-Wed and 8 hours on Thursdays, then he's still working a 35 hour week and his holiday should be exactly the same.

Basically, if your work has flexible working hours, then your holiday should be measured in hours rather than days as well. If he chooses to work 9 hours instead of a 7 hour day, that doesn't mean his holiday days should then be measured as 9 hours as well - they should still be the standard number of hours, otherwise he's being mugged off.

I might agree but that's not whats happening here

Later posts explain but he gets days holiday not hours holiday, he cuts his work days he cuts his holiday days in-line

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

If his set pattern is to work nine hours on a Monday, then he needs to book nine hours to take that day off. That's the same as one day.