Competitions with "compulsory" meal after - what would you do?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Regularly get inclusive meal in entry fee, mostly for fund raiser/charity comps and agree it makes a huge difference if the food isn't up to scratch

Had what amounted to a chicken salad the other week and meal cost was equivalent of £17!

On the flip side 6 months ago the same cost got me a superb three course lunch from Michelin star hotel and was easily worth double

Trouble is the poor usually outweighs the great with too many fobbing you off with buffets that they can throw together for a fraction of the cost but most of the time the desire to play in the comp overrides what I know I'll lose out on the food

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like many have said no compulsory meals at my club, except for team matches. What we do have when we have roll ups is a choice of two or three meals we can pre-order if we want before we tee off.This seems to work well as people are not forced to eat.

Lambchops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Every competition at ours you get a buffet breakfast before, sandwich for your bag for during the round and a 2 course meal afterwards as well as a presentation. Its all covered in the entrance fee.

The meal is always soup then either goulash or meat,sauce and dumplings - easy for them to do and its pretty much ok so I don't mind

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Continued to debate with the Club Captain but to no avail as he and the Lady Captain have given the event a "tick" rather than a "cross"!

So I need to decide whether I make a stand and don't play Club Champs and Ladies Foursomes Champs or play and pay for a meal I have no intention of turning up for!

It's interesting that most of those that replied seldom have compulsory meals following the competition - much better if you ask me...

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
None of our own club comps have a meal included except perhaps for Captain's or Pro's weekend or similar where on the Sunday we'll have a fun 4-ball event with perhaps a running barbecue or hog roast for after our round.

Inter-club matches always have either a brunch beforehand or a sit-down 2/3 course dinner afterwards.

To answer the question. I'd have to pick and choose and I'd end up playing in a lot fewer comps myself as I hate a breakfast before a game - makes me feel bloated and really uncomforatble when playing - and I don't always have time for dinner afterwards.

Last edited:

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
hi,

None of our 'normal' competitions have any kind of meal after them, i.e. the medal and stablefords which dominate the calander. Interclub matches and seniors matches have a meal, and some of the one-off comps - like the gents vs ladies Trophy or Invitational days have a meal. Fortunately our kitchen is good and so if you can spare the time it is no hardship on those occasions.

To have a meal with every comp seems overkill in the extreme.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
None of ours have compulsory meal, several offer a meal before presentation but its optional (though most take it up as the food is good and cheap compared to most places - last mixed comp was £7 for roast chicken or salmon and a pudding and both were excellent). Matches have sandwiches/chips after and the club matches (non competitive) have a full english beforehand too

Id definitely be writing a letter in your shoes, and looking to canvas some support amongst others you know who dont attend

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My local club doesn't have compulsory meals/comps. My corporate society does have meals included in the price, but it's not mandatory. Seems like a bit of a dracoian rule where you are.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If I am rerpresenting the club and there is food afterwards then I think it is respectful to your hosts to stay for the meal/buffet unless something has come up at last minute that you can ask to be excused. If you are not willing to stay for the meal, or know in advance that you can't - then don't accept the invitation to play - let someone else foerm your club who is able to stay for the meal take your slot.

As for as 'home' comps I have mixed views. In 'major' comps staying for a meal, thanks and prize-giving are seen as part of the day and the meal is included in the entry fee - tends not to be optional. Most other comps that are of a format that makes a meal sensible have the meal as optional. So on Sunday we had a 4-man team comp with shotgun start at 8:30am. Entry of £10 included cost of brunch - a massive and fab Full English at 1pm. Most players say for that (which was nice as my team won).

I have to add that the attraction of food at our place is that it is of tremendous quality. Our chef is ex-Army chef and so knows how to provide high quality catering for large numbers.