Competitions with "compulsory" meal after - what would you do?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So our major comps tend to have a meal afterwards and the entry fee includes the cost of the meal - whether you plan to attend it or not.

I can live with that but not the quality of food that is served up. Not a foodie and not a fussy eater but the fare on Sunday after 36 holes of the Mixed Foursomes was the worst yet - and the bar hasn't ever been set very high.

So I can put up with it and eat what's edible or I can pay and not turn up (some do) or I talk with my feet/wallet but then can't play the competition. I've made my complaint known but doubt much will happen to change the status quo...

What does your club do and what would you do in my position?

D

Deleted member 15344

Don't think we have any comps with compulsory meal for main section but I understand there was a seniors comp with one that they decide to get away with due to numerous complaints

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we don't have any comps as such that have a after meal, but the matches we have against Royal Dornoch and Nairn Dunbar do and if you don't stay for the meal you don't get picked again.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
First of all, a letter of complaint - not a brief conversation that's forgotten 10mins later. Secondly, if enough people are of the same mind, a letter with multiple signatures. And if you all feel strongly enough, don't play en masse.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
No compulsory meals for us after comps either but we do have them in club matches, I'm playing for the vets league team on Friday but shooting off to London for a show afterwards but will still have to pay up for the food. A lot of opponents now have changed to no change into jacket and ties, with a buffet, and then home much quicker - suits me

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
We do have them after matches and usually a breakfast before mixed matches. The last breakfast was stone cold bacon and not sure what the hell they did to my egg but overdone doesn't come close! So I ate a sausage and some beans and a piece of cold toast.

I've written to The Captain and have had a response which basically says the logistics of making any meal optional are tricky for the kitchen. Also only a handful of competitions have said meals BUT they are ALL the important ones. So many bitch about the food afterwards but seem to think they have to be supportive and say it was good - go figure!

We have to sort out the standard of catering for sure but until we do I don't think we should force members to make a tough choice.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
No majors with compulsory meal a couple of charity events, I skip them and play an early morning bounce game as time constraints would mean give me a major issue to play a 4hr + round and then meal for a charity event.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just as an aside the event on Sunday prohibits married couples playing together. So 36 holes and then an evening meal...guests can come along and pay for the meal as well though! Not great for them indoors...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd be complaining and trying to get support from others not happy with the situation and ask to discuss it further with the captain. Seems a very unusual affair to have meals after competitions. Matches yes, comps no.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Meals after are all an optional extra at ours. Seems ridiculous that you are forced to pay for a crap meal if you want to play in the competition. Out of interest how much money are you talking about?

Like Homer says I'd be trying to get support from others if loads are unhappy. Probably not easy though I know.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think it was £15 but hard to tell as it's all combined with the entry fee and two's (£20 total). Long dialogue with the club captain and getting nowhere so looks like I'll be absent from major comps this year!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think it was £15 but hard to tell as it's all combined with the entry fee and two's (£20 total). Long dialogue with the club captain and getting nowhere so looks like I'll be absent from major comps this year!

That would be a shame. I still think if you can get a number of signatures to back up your own gripes it would add weight to the argument and may force the captain to at least reconsider if there is sufficient support

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Oh Amanda that would be such a shame but I think I'd be feeling the same way as you.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
lets be honest, how difficult is it for the kitchen to cook a basic but decent meal for a field of competition golfers?
eg; 20 tee- times equates to 20 pies cut into quarters a handful of chips for each player and Doris is your Auntie

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
we have 5 comps that have a meal included in the cost of entering but we have a fabulous chef so no hardship,as for inter-club comps they range from the sublime ( ours and grange park) to an inter county match that consisted of petrol station sandwiches and a couple of flasks of coffee ( the red face on the captain as he had apologise for his sec.)

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems like a very strange idea. I'd be far from happy - especially if the food was bad. But I wouldn't want to miss the major comps... might even end up looking at other clubs, depending on other factors.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only Captains day really falls into this category - apart from matches.

Reason is it's a full field shotgun start at 0900h so it provides a buffer whilst the cards are sorted and the prizes established (then presented) - at least you get a spot of lunch at close to lunch time! Without it the kitchen simply couldn't cope with (say) 80% of the field ordering a range of meals at the same time either!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Only Captains day really falls into this category - apart from matches.

Reason is it's a full field shotgun start at 0900h so it provides a buffer whilst the cards are sorted and the prizes established (then presented) - at least you get a spot of lunch at close to lunch time! Without it the kitchen simply couldn't cope with (say) 80% of the field ordering a range of meals at the same time either!

Can't think of any other than Captains Day and Members/Guest Day where we have two fields am/pm for the first and 9 holes and then lunch and individual stableford. No food or requirement to eat after for club championships

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have quite a few competitions that have a meal and presentation afterwards, but they are paid for separately and the meal is not compulsory, although it is expected that you attend.