Competition entry fees breakdown

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’m sure I’ve seen it on here before but can someone remind me how the entry fee for a normal Saturday medal is broken down.
If I pay £5 entry fee £1 goes towards twos etc. Who else gets a share on the entry money?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A % will be retained by the club to cover engraving and purchasing trophies. At some clubs a % might be retained to cover the Club 2000 handicapping software. Depending on the comp there might be a voucher + sweep, other comps, just sweep. Some clubs also pay the pro 20p - 50p per card.

D

Deleted member 16999

Ours is £3.50, £1.50 to 2’s, £0.50p to Club, £1.50 to Captain, Captain then splits the £1.50’s, £0.90p prize fund, £0.60p to trophies, engraving, teams costs etc.

D

Deleted member 15717

£3 entry, £1 sweep, £1 2s...I believe.

Might be £3.50 entry, 50p sweep and £1 2s.

1st - 4th get paid out from competition in various percentages. 1st - 3rd get paid in sweep

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So if you have a “magic 2” and win the medal is there any of that that you are allowed to take out of the shop in cash?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m sure I’ve seen it on here before but can someone remind me how the entry fee for a normal Saturday medal is broken down.
If I pay £5 entry fee £1 goes towards twos etc. Who else gets a share on the entry money?

I think you'll find that almost every club will have a different approach.

We pay £4 comp fee plus optional £1 for 2s. All the 2s money and 80% of the comp fee go onto your card which can be used for anything from Proshop, bar/catering, buggy hire or comp fees. The remainder goes to club funds

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
£4 entry for us ....£1 goes to the 2's sweep. 80-85% of the remainder goes to Competition Prizes (depends on the level of entries). The rest goes into the Competition committee coffers to fund trophy engraving, honours boards updates, Handicapping s/ware license, support of our various club teams in terms of buying club shirts and contribution to meals, printing consumables and funding of other competitions where the entry fees don't cover the value of prizes (typical example being our Turkey Trot where we take maybe £500 in entry fees but that is instantly wiped out by the purchase of 30 Turkeys....before we even get to the individual prizes that can be won on every hole).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So if you have a “magic 2” and win the medal is there any of that that you are allowed to take out of the shop in cash?
There should not be

An “amateur golfer”, whether he plays competitively or recreationally, is one who plays golf for the challenge it presents, not as a profession and not for financial gain.
An “amateur golfer”, must not play golf for prize money or its equivalent in a match, competition or exhibition.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Club comp entry for us is £3 plus optional £1 for 2s. The club takes a percentage to cover costs of trophies, engraving, etc. Winnings are pro shop credit.

We have some comps where the entry is all given in prizes. If they come from the proshop the can be exchanged or returned for credit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

All prizes from the organised club should be either vouchers or trophies or both

Clubs can’t give out cash prizes.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well considering the NMW is now £7.83 an hour's your club appear to be breaching that!

Various retired members volunteer money goes on their card , it's actually only 3 an half hour stint, but i'll let them know to declare it to the tax man, thanks for your concern :smirk:

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Various retired members volunteer money goes on their card , it's actually only 3 an half hour stint, but i'll let them know to declare it to the tax man, thanks for your concern :smirk:

I'd just tell them to report the club, no need to inform an IR.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We pay £3 to enter the comp. Two's and ball raffles are additional and optional. The money from entries goes to the club and is used to pay top three in each division and a percentage then goes towards the cost of trophies and engraving.