Competition entry fees - alternatives to cash

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We've not started official comp's yet but our "virtual swindle" is being done on credit. You advise the organiser (in advance) if you are entering. And send him your score afterwards. He keeps a rolling total of who's played and who has won (or owes) what. There'll be a mass reckoning in due course - probably by bank transfer. (For anyone reluctant to settle, when its safe to do so, the boys will be sent round - cos by then, it will be safe for them to relieve you of hard cash...)
We're doing that for our group. The way my sites are going, I may have to set up a savings account to make sure I've got enough money to pay my balance! :eek:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Wow, that's incredibly judgemental. I hope you're not crushed by knowing I'm not bothered whether you feel it's acceptable or not.

I'm not crushed at all. It's my view. If I go into a shop / club / business and they can't process a card payment that is my opinion of that business. I'm fairly sure I'm not alone in a) thinking it's not a professional, customer focused set up and b) the inconvenience is annoying.

As the discussion has moved to other businesses, I actively avoid takeaways that don't take cards. Yes - there is the assumption that they are not declaring everything for tax purposes (that's up to them and most businesses will find a way to fiddle tax if they really want to) but it's just inconvenient.

YandaB

Visit site
We're about to start comps again. We'll be paying for them via our members card linked to the IG system. You'll only be able to book a comp if there's credit on the card.
We use IG too but for some strange reason we have to load it with PayPal (which costs money to do!). I don't see why we cannot use the standard fuctionality and load it from our credit cards :-(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We're starting comps in July and entry will be via the Pro shop using our bar cards or vis the HDIDO app.....

We are simply entering at the gate and the club do the rest. I assume if we were to put a competition booking sheet up and enter the system could be set up to take the money off the card. Not sure we have got it set up yet but assume it's easy to do. In the good old days we'd enter via the HDID screen on the bar/pro shop which would do it