Competition divisions

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have a couple of members who think that there should be no divisions for the allocation of prize money.

I would be interested to find out what goes on at other clubs up and down the country. Does your club have divisions for the allocation of prizes?

D

Deleted member 15344

We have two divisions 1-14 and 15 above - top three get prizes in each

It hasn’t made much difference overall

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think our place does top three (or something like that) then prizes for best cat 1,2,3 etc scores for those outside the main prize money. For instance if I were to win a comp, I couldn't also win the cat 2 best score prize. Think that's how it is anyway 🤔

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It depends. For board events, it's winner takes all with no divisions although the club pays out top three in pro shop vouchers.

For all other events (monthly medal/stableford etc) we are in divisions based on how many enter. The club pays out top three per division and the winner per division will qualify for the end of season "Masters". HDID will register lowest gross but there is nothing for that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think in 2017 we didn't have divisions, but they brought them in at the start of 2018, same time as the over 28 handicaps were allowed. So now I think for the monthly medal/Stableford it's 1-18 division 1 and 19+ for division 2. I think it's that way for most of the comps actually, but the Club Champs (the only two-day comp that we have) it was different, as division 1 was 1-14, and division 2 was 15-28 (anyone over 28 had to play off 28 for that one).

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Def think there should be divisions.

For a low guy who plays to a good standard and takes pride in maintaining a single figures, or low double figures handicap, it is simply not on for pretty much all of the prizes to go to higher handicappers who have a good day.

With a big enough club and new members or regular turnover of semi-regular players there will be a lot of clubs with a fair number of guys in the 20s who are well capable but just don't play consistently enough or have problems with one area of their game.

Unless you are playing at a real Championship course, it is inevitable that a lot of higher handicap players will end up coming in with a load of pars and bogeys and shooting net scores that a decent 7 to 12 handicapper has no chance of matching, even on his best day.

Edit to add, I'm not a low guy but I can obviously see the fairness in these guys having a fair crack of the whip if they have a good day.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
No divisions in competitions, but I think seniors may have two divisions for their comps.

Prize money usually for top six in monthly medals and stablefords. Played over two days, so usually 150 plus play, so very decent money to be won.(y)

The Fader

Visit site
Monthly Medals and Stablefords are played in 3 divisions at our place. 0-12, 13-19 and 20+
Prizes paid 1st to 4th in each division at same rate regardless of actual division numbers.

Wolf

Visit site
Not 100% sure how it works at my place as only been there just coming up for a month next week but from looks of things I think there are 2 divisions 1-14 and 15+.

I think divisions is a good idea gives everyone a chance at something then remove them for the bug comps, plus must be nice to say start in Div 2 then as you get lower its almost like a promotion and boost to yourself if you then move to Div 1

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Depends on the number of entrants. Below 30 and only one division, 30 and over, two divisions (division is by playing handicap, 12 and below and over 12)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
No divisions.

Was reviewed a few years ago with an expectation that the lower handicaps would wish it - they gave it a resounding thumbs down! They couldn't see the point of competing in, and for, a smaller pool.

None of our swindle group's are handicap based either.

We don't have a lot of new entrants to the game at the course, and with the proper application of ESRs etc improving golfers get their win (as they deserve) but don't lie around with the wrong handicaps (appreciate Scotland have a completely different view on handicapping in this area 🤔).

Every year we review the proportion of entrants at each level that enter and compare it to the proportion of winners and prizes; it's rare that there is any deviation from a slight weighting to cat 1, relatively highest weighting to cat 2, slight under from cat 3 and significant under for cat 4/5/6 - and we have a high proportion of stableford events as well! Medals are even more skewed to the lower handicappers.

sunshine

Visit site
I think in 2017 we didn't have divisions, but they brought them in at the start of 2018, same time as the over 28 handicaps were allowed. So now I think for the monthly medal/Stableford it's 1-18 division 1 and 19+ for division 2. I think it's that way for most of the comps actually, but the Club Champs (the only two-day comp that we have) it was different, as division 1 was 1-14, and division 2 was 15-28 (anyone over 28 had to play off 28 for that one).

Surely your Club Champs can't have been a handicap competition?

Wolf

Visit site
Some clubs have simultaneously running events within them the overlap. Club champion is the scratch winner then they may have a shield trophy that runs along with it for handicap prize. That is what a club that used to be local to me used to do and it worked well.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Why not?

We have a fairly small membership and our Club Championships produce the Club Championships Cup winner (gross score) and the Championship Shield winner (net score).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some clubs have simultaneously running events within them the overlap. Club champion is the scratch winner then they may have a shield trophy that runs along with it for handicap prize. That is what a club that used to be local to me used to do and it worked well.
Full marks, Wolf! Yes, there's the two divisions of handicap competition plus a scratch prize at our Club Champs.

Wolf

Visit site
Full marks, Wolf! Yes, there's the two divisions of handicap competition plus a scratch prize at our Club Champs.
I think it's a sensible way to do it it gives everyone something to play for and doesn't alienate mid to high handicappers, the place I spent a year at before I stopped playing did exactly the same and they also had it that you had to qualify for the event by winning a medal or stablefirs comp throughout the season or if you had a certain number of high finishes. From what I can tell of my new place they have an Order of Merit system where you accumulate points over the season in varying comps and then in August they have champions weekend where the club Champ and handicap trophy are played for by the qualifiers

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's a sensible way to do it it gives everyone something to play for and doesn't alienate mid to high handicappers, the place I spent a year at before I stopped playing did exactly the same and they also had it that you had to qualify for the event by winning a medal or stablefirs comp throughout the season or if you had a certain number of high finishes. From what I can tell of my new place they have an Order of Merit system where you accumulate points over the season in varying comps and then in August they have champions weekend where the club Champ and handicap trophy are played for by the qualifiers
Of course. The Club Champs are one of my favourite events of the year, since it's in June and it's the only one that's over two days, so it feels 'special' I guess. If it was only a scratch though I wouldn't bother entering it, would be a waste of time and money.

We have other competitions towards the end of the year that you have to qualify for based on your year's performance. Order of Merit being one, Medal Winner's Final, and one that is done by points in certain comps through the year as well.