Comedy moment at the range

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
At the range today with the FIL and BIL, hitting the ball reasonably well but losing them to the right a bit. Wind was off the left and we were on the top level, but not convinced that was the main issue.

Anyway, 2 lads come in having a pretty loud chat about how well they have been hitting it lately, with one of them commenting how much his swing path training aid has helped him, he proceeds to get said training aid out of his bag and sets it up with the cylinders to encourage an in to out path. After a few loose practise swings he drops his first ball ready to launch it out into the range, he then makes his swing and clatters into his training aid launching it about 30 yards out in front of him. His mate burst out laughing, which triggered me off too. Fortunately he saw the funny side of it too and laughed with us. Only bettered when the guy from the front desk appeared 10 minutes later asking if anyone had misplaced said training aid.

Diamond

Visit site
I played with 2 chaps who are 7 handicappers today...I am +36 (28). I hit a drive on the 17th and said can they have my driver. Gotta laugh as it is a 2014 Callaway. On a sad note I think my drives are better as on my practice swings I am looking at a target on the ground then again on my shot I am looking a the back of the ball. Simple stuff I know...

dronfield

Visit site
A few years ago I bought a used Callaway Warbird 3 wood from a golf shop here in Sheffield. Took it to my local range and on the 3rd shot the head flew off - I had to shout down the range asking everyone to hold fire while I ran 70 yards to collect the head!

It actually worked out very well for me - I took the club back to the shop who then sent it back to Callaway for repair, but because they no longer made the club, Callaway simply sent me a new "latest" model, which at the time was the Hawkeye. Very impressive service from Callaway.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours is open but following England Golf guidelines. Which I know at least one person here is going to complain about.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few years ago I bought a used Callaway Warbird 3 wood from a golf shop here in Sheffield. Took it to my local range and on the 3rd shot the head flew off - I had to shout down the range asking everyone to hold fire while I ran 70 yards to collect the head!

It actually worked out very well for me - I took the club back to the shop who then sent it back to Callaway for repair, but because they no longer made the club, Callaway simply sent me a new "latest" model, which at the time was the Hawkeye. Very impressive service from Callaway.
Saw this happen to my mate once as well. He was hitting driver at the driving range and the head flew off about 100 yards down the range. He didn't bother trying to get it, just tossed the shaft in the bin on the way out. :LOL:

Chico84

Visit site
I’ve been on the bottom tier and had it rain balls over the edge from above, presumably as someone has knocked over a basket.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’ve been on the bottom tier and had it rain balls over the edge from above, presumably as someone has knocked over a basket.
It's happened to me at Silvermere. Bit off putting as your playing the shot to suddenly have all these balls dancing around in front of you. Even seen a range basket in their catch netting on the top tier so assume someone had the hump and kicked it

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I once skied one really badly so much so that it hit one of the roofbeams and came down on the bloke in the bay next to me, hitting him squarely on the bridge of the nose. He was strangely OK about it, I was absolutely mortified!:eek:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
when i was having lessons with the driver a few years ago, we had to work outside the pro bay at the range in inverness because of my early extension, its is around a corner so you can't be hit with a ball. Pro was showing me how to swing and a ball hit the head of the club and gave us both a shock. was from a group of Indian tourists in the range and one had shermaned it. as we both looked around the corner 2 more balls hit the wall next to us:LOL: