Collectible blooming painted plates, loads of them!!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My father in law died in 2000, mum in law is now 84 and going well for an older citizen! She is still living in the house my wife grew up in, they moved there in 1967. Mum in law has been doing her nut about clearing out the loft in case she's needs to move to an old folks flat soon.

Anyway. They both collected painted plates years back and there's dozens and dozens of them. They used to hand on the walls of the house :)eek:) but have been boxed up in the loft for 20 years or more. War planes, Marilyn Monroe goodness knows that else.

My wife has just filled her car with the dam things and brought them here. :rolleyes: They are now filling the spare room. (All in their boxes and with the certificates "Bradford Exchange is the make)

Anyone any good plans for how to move these on or know anything about them? Ebay seems full of similar at 5p per tonne! :) Seem too nice to stick in the skip, but not worth much. Tatt in fact!

Last edited:

JSims

Visit site
Some individual ones or complete sets can be worth quite a bit. But research/knowledge is required.
A local auctioneer could well be the best option. They will identify the valuable ones and any dealers/collectors will compete for them. the dross will likely simply be bundled and sold as boxed lots.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Car boot
Or Facebook marketplace,
You really need another collector who wants to add to their pile
This is the answer. They may not mean much to you (or me) but they did to the two who made the collection.
Just keep hold of them until you come across someone who would like them. You owe it to ma and pa in law to not simply chuck 'em.
I've got similar useless stuff from my mum in the loft, though not as bulky as stacks of plates. I'll get rid sometime, but in a suitable way.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They will be worth no more in 30 years than they are now if they are just tat.

Auction house every time and you get free expert advice.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Doesn't matter what they are worth now or in 30 years time. They are and were a close loved one's treasured possessions. It is that fact that needs to be taken into consideration.
They are things of little or no monetary value, sure.
That is not their value.
Bear the inconvenience of storing them for a while, merely to avoid regret of not respecting and acknowledging the previous owners' love of them.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The problem is that what was personal to the people that bought them, and they bought them because they had a passion for them. Whoever gets them later in life, more than likely does not share that same passion. It then becomes clutter. The stuff my mother has given me over the years ( to clear out the house), some of it I will keep. Other stuff is going. Just decorated the spare/kids room and the crap we have collected over the years. Flippin eck.
In an ideal world they will end up with someone who shares that passion for plates. Good luck me man.