Blooming "Collectable" Plates!!!!!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My wife returned from her mum's house last week with boxes and boxes of Bradford Exchange plates of various collections from the 80s and 90s. About 100 of the things.

Mum in law was an avid collector and thinks they are valuable. 🤔

Quick look on eBay and there are billions on there, at tuppence a hundred-weight.

There's all sorts, canal boats, WW2 Planes etc... I guess they'll end up in the attic !

Unless anyone on here knows better!🤞

D-S

Visit site
My wife returned from her mum's house last week with boxes and boxes of Bradford Exchange plates of various collections from the 80s and 90s. About 100 of the things.

Mum in law was an avid collector and thinks they are valuable. 🤔

Quick look on eBay and there are billions on there, at tuppence a hundred-weight.

There's all sorts, canal boats, WW2 Planes etc... I guess they'll end up in the attic !

Unless anyone on here knows better!🤞
Don't forget, the attic is just a bin you live under.

RichA

Visit site
We've recently had to clear out MiL's house. Amongst the hoarded tut were 7 extensive sets of Royal Doulton and Royal Worcester fine china dinnerware and teaware. The places that deal in such stuff weren't interested. We can't give the stuff away.
I sympathise.

Grizzly

Visit site
My parents ran a glass and china business for the best part of 35 years - a lot of these things were valuable once upon a time, held their value like a Scotty Cameron limited edition no less. But there was a sea change around the turn of the century as new generations started to live very different lives to their parents, such that nowadays there are very few such items that retain any meaningful worth. To put this in context, when they married in 1975, Mum's wedding present was a pair of hand-painted Royal Crown Derby urns - one of a kind, I thought them ugly but she loved them, and I know as late as 2000 their book value for the home insurance was well into four figures for the pair. By the time they passed in '14, that was down to £100. Didn't matter to us, she had got what she wanted from them, but indicative of the market.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll join in the eye rolling. My mum has various bits of pottery which she thinks have value but in reality they are worth diddly. I keep telling my mum to enjoy them yourself, forget any value, but she wont let it go. After she has gone either my sister will have them or they will go to the charity shop.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was something very satisfying about the sound of china hitting the bottom of an empty skip.
Thats what we did when my mum went. Loads of china and glass, charity shops didn't want it and the professional boot fairers wanted paying to take it away.
Couldnt belive we actually filled the skip fully.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We've just cleared out my Mum and Dad's old house. The amount of stuff they had that had no value, not even to the Charity shops. It was memorable to them but not to anyone else. It was sad to see so much of their stuff having to go to the skip. In the end, I got a professional house clearance company to take them all away.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My wife used to collect BLA Poole stoneware animals., and certain plates.
They used to be quite valuable but nowadays only the large pieces still hold any value.
She has a phobia of crocodiles so was in a right state at an antiques fair where she could have bought a BLA one for £10 knowing that it was worth [at that time] over £100. :)

However .........my collection of Highland Stoneware seems to be on the up and up (y)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Sad but true, although there will always be one or two valuable things in such house clearances, it's having the expertise to recognise them amongst the tat.

The best thing to do with fine china dinner services is to use them to eat your dinner from rather than storing them away, live the high life!

(A bit like old golf clubs ;) )

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My in laws had a mahogany dining suite, extending table, chairs and carvers along with matching wall units. They thought it was all valuable, no-one wanted it and it got smashed up and dumped in a skip.
From personal experience Waterford Crystal and Royal Albert 'Old Country Roses' items still have value.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Blimey..sorry folks! That was the first tranche. I'd forgotten I wailed on here about it.

I'm wondering if I should applaud @chellie or be concerned!😁

Ian, I thought I'd read it before but it shows up on Similar Threads at the bottom of the thread so I knew I had. Not stalking you:)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I have some Wedgwood frog service plates and stuff. When you look at the work gone into them and how much they’re worth. 😳
But times move on. Me bro made a fortune on star wars Stuff. That’s gone quiet and now he is making a Fortune on Pokémon cards. There crap but a fool And his money.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I have told missis T if any of her mums Lilliputian lane rammel finds its way to out house am having an affair.
But me Mums Alan Young stuff is welcome 😁👍