Cobra S3 irons - opinions greatly appreciated

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Basically as the thread title asks.

Does anyone used these clubs either past or present?

I currently use cobra s9's with NS pro 900 shafts.

I have seen the above at a bargain price with a very similar shaft (NS pro 1030)

Love the s9 but want to refresh the bag.

Thanks

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used them with good results for over a year. They are very forgiving and super long although they have very weak lofts. Decent clubs, I really liked the shafts and stock grips too. How much are they going for?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers Deke

£229 (5 - SW reg steel) which is an absolute bargain. Best thing is that Golfbidder have offered me £90 for my S9's so i am only going to fork out 130 quid.

mykweb

Assistant Pro
www.mykweb.co.uk
I have the s3 max irons, can't get enough of them. Best set I have owned. Bought them in march, since then my iron play has vastly improved.

only downside about them is no 3/4 iron. Also I can't get the hang of the pw for green work, much prefer my 52 vokey.

seriously recommend them to anyone.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks both

Just purchased them.

I spent yesterday morning being custom fitted for a new set of sticks, but tbh i was left slightly underwhelmed at the thought of paying 500 quid for very little gain.

I still had an itch to scratch though and the S3's will do just that (at a fraction of the cost).

I use S3 Driver and 5 wood currently and i love them. I am a bit of a cobra fan boy at heart, so it was only natural that i would get another set.

Hopefully they will be here early next week, so i will let you know how i get on with them.

Regarding the AMP irons, 299 is a great price, but there is something aesthetically unpleasing about them personally. Its not the orange either as i think the forged version are some of the most handsome irons going.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty much all my gear is Cobra apart from putter and wedges.

Dont know why i originally got into the brand, but i have enjoyed their products for years.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I've got the S3s as they came out best when I got fitted a few years ago against the usual suspects at the time (TM, Titliest, Ping, Mizuno, Nike). Nice club, but in my case the user needs a bit of work doing on them.

mykweb

Assistant Pro
www.mykweb.co.uk
Pretty much all my gear is Cobra apart from putter and wedges.

Dont know why i originally got into the brand, but i have enjoyed their products for years.
Snap.. I love cobra clubs. Bold and nicely designed.

I started my collection with the amp driver and went from there.

I did look at the trusty rusty but was not overly impressed with it enough to replace my vokey

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well

After 4 (or 5?) years of ownership, the S9's played their final round today.

The pulled of a couple of crackers and were surprisingly well behaved throughout. Shot of the day was a 220 yard 6 iron approach to our par 5 7th. Caught it sweet as a nut and the rock hard fairways did the rest of the work for me.

To be honest i hit more than my usual amount of greens today, it was only the fact that our greens are like concrete than my GIR for the day was not loitering at around the 40-50% mark.

So it is with a heavy heart (yes i do get sentimental about clubs :D) that i will be giving them a final wash before sticking them on the "bay".

Itching for my S3's to arrive now. Looking forward to seeing my ugly mug reflecting of the high gloss finish!

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well the new bats arrived today.

Have to say that the finish is very pretty and the heads are much smaller than i remember (which is good)

Getting off at 6:15 tomorrow evening for a bit of match play action

Cant wait

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hope you enjoy them mate, I had a great first round with mine, hopefully you do the same! Let us know how you get on. :thup: