XR pro vs Nike vapor pro combo irons

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hey all,

Need some advice and experience from anyone who has used and tried either the xr pro irons or the vapor pro combo irons.

Looking at grabbing a set of either second hand. Both are similar price points but the xr pro are 4-Pw and the Nike are 5-Pw. Both have similar kbs shafts yet the xr are v90 and the Nike are 120.

I am currently playing off 17 but been taking lessons and looking to reduce handicap over next season.

Read a few reviews and even though the xr aren't forged, people are saying they do feel quite soft. Do the nikes feel soft?

I am currently playing ping g25's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I switched from Speedblades to XR Pro recently. I'd say they're slightly less forgiving but much softer to hit, the feedback on a mishit is more obvious as well. I'm impressed with distance control, I'd quite often get a random "flyer" with the Speedblades but with the XR they appear to be consistent with only a small loss of distance with an off centre hit. Ain't hit the Nikes so can't comment on them but my pp had Nike Vapor irons and hated them.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I switched from Speedblades to XR Pro recently. I'd say they're slightly less forgiving but much softer to hit, the feedback on a mishit is more obvious as well. I'm impressed with distance control, I'd quite often get a random "flyer" with the Speedblades but with the XR they appear to be consistent with only a small loss of distance with an off centre hit. Ain't hit the Nikes so can't comment on them but my pp had Nike Vapor irons and hated them.

Thanks for the reply.

The feedback on miss hits is actually what is appealing me to the pro irons as the Ping's dont give much feedback. Also like how they sit behind the ball.

I think I am going to go with the XR as they are slightly cheaper with one extra iron

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got the XR Pro, they are a good club longer than my old clubs but feel a bit clicky. I find them easy to draw but difficult to fade (which is a bit unusual as I used to fade my irons), the stiff shafts need a bit of hitting as well to get the best out of them. Probably doesn't sound like it but they are great irons they go far, high and stop quickly.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've got the XR Pro, they are a good club longer than my old clubs but feel a bit clicky. I find them easy to draw but difficult to fade (which is a bit unusual as I used to fade my irons), the stiff shafts need a bit of hitting as well to get the best out of them. Probably doesn't sound like it but they are great irons they go far, high and stop quickly.

That seems to be what everyone is saying, they go a long way! I used to play the Taylormade rocketbladez tour in stiff and they needed a good hit to get them going, I changed to the Ping G25 for a bit more forgiveness but now I've knocked a good few shots off my handicap and much more consistent ball striking I am looking to go back to a bit more of a players iron for the feel and more slim lined look behind the ball.

Thanks for the reply!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Have a look at the Snainton website, they bought up a load of Nike irons which they are now selling off very cheaply. I bought the Vapor Pro's (full blades) and they are lovely to hit.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi mate,

I've recently bought the Pro Combo's they were 4-PW. Very good clubs however if you are off 17 - no disrespect but you may be better off going for a cavity back option - perhaps look into the Ping G range - or even the Nike Vapor irons. If you are getting lessons - speak to your pro and he will advise! Also look into shaft types!

The nikes are lovely irons - you feel every shot - and gives good feedback. Lovely clubs - but I'm a 9 handicap and struggled at first to give it my all. But now my confidence is back - they are brilliant! The odd shank is there - but only because the irons aren't as forgiving been forged and not cavity back!

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I moved from the Nike vapors to the TM RSI1s and they're a lovely club IMO

And believe me you get definite feedback when you miss the middle....I'm not sure what the feedback is on middle hits yet, as I'm yet to find it

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi mate,

I've recently bought the Pro Combo's they were 4-PW. Very good clubs however if you are off 17 - no disrespect but you may be better off going for a cavity back option - perhaps look into the Ping G range - or even the Nike Vapor irons. If you are getting lessons - speak to your pro and he will advise! Also look into shaft types!

The nikes are lovely irons - you feel every shot - and gives good feedback. Lovely clubs - but I'm a 9 handicap and struggled at first to give it my all. But now my confidence is back - they are brilliant! The odd shank is there - but only because the irons aren't as forgiving been forged and not cavity back!

Yeah completely understand where you are coming from. I did use the Rocketblade tours previously and hit them well but was just not consistent enough but I feel I have improved a lot since then. I tried my friends AP2's the other night and could hit them well as well. I feel my irons arent keeping my handicap at 17. It was my driving but I've sorted that now and keeping the ball in play a lot more and had two recent rounds at +10 and +9 so I feel I can get my handicap down. I should add that this was on full courses and not my home course.

I would love to go in and buy a set brand new and try lots of different types. But the Callaway and nikes are only £180 for the set, so if i don't get on with them I can just sell them again and keep my old ones so seeing it as quite a low risk purchase.

Been speaking to the guy with the Callaways and he says the ferrule is cracked on the 7 iron, no head movement though and can come inspect etc. Would this put anyone off? To get the head glued and aligned is only like £5 anyway but doubt any serious damage has been done.