Cobra One length

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I loved the PW and 7 iron I tried, 5 iron was going similar distance as 7 though. Shame as I really liked the idea and wanted them to work.
May have to give them another go as I was swinging like a dog at the time (or is that all the time :D).

There's a set in my mates shop
Pop over Saturday
Give them a go....

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
They’re fantastic!! Can’t believe everyone hasn’t tried them, and them appearing in greater numbers. Definitely worth a punt Chris.

D

Deleted member 18121

I'm not sure I'm 100% qualified to answer fully....but I chopped my clubs in recently for the Cobra one legnths (the F7). I've only played 1 round with them but off of 13 I played to 11 around the Woosnam course at Dale Hill.

I personally found them incredible to hit, the "longer" irons are an absolute dream to hit. Just need to get used to how far the shorter irons go.....but from my one use I found the flight/trajectory no issue at all.

Vote up for me!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
With all this positivity going on, here's the "Grumpy old Git" angle.

Club and ball development to make the game easier has gone too far and continues headlong down that path.

Yes, the you can hit the shots more consistently and longer with all the new club developments but the challenge of golf is lessened with each change, and it's the challenge that's half the fun of golf.

The thrill of mastering the difficult clubs is vanishing as modern clubs make life so easy, if it carries on like this then pretty soon you might as well just turn up at the club and piss into a bucket.

Go Old School, accept lesser scores but enjoy golf more, have I said that before?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I recently made a set of Wishon Sterling's SLC for the first time for a friend who is a 3hc player. He had Pings but thought that the SLC would suit him better due to his rhythmic sweeping swing. So I got him fitted to 8 iron length of 36.75" which was his current 8 iron length, and tip trimmed a regular shaft to firm. The set up consists of 5-PW he uses a hybrid for 4 iron shots and he plays a lot of knock down type shots with his shorter clubs. He's had them now for 6 weeks and duck and water comes to mind. Loves them and says it's made the game so much easier for him. He's gained about 10yds on his PW which he's happy about.

I've tried them myself and found that I can hit his irons as far as my own and are pretty easy to hit. I can see a lot of sense in the concept which I think lady and senior golfers would benefit from.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I say this every time the topic comes up, but - I would love a 5 iron the length of 7 iron, but I'd hate to have a PW the length of a 7 iron. At least I think I would.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
With all this positivity going on, here's the "Grumpy old Git" angle.

Club and ball development to make the game easier has gone too far and continues headlong down that path.

Yes, the you can hit the shots more consistently and longer with all the new club developments but the challenge of golf is lessened with each change, and it's the challenge that's half the fun of golf.

The thrill of mastering the difficult clubs is vanishing as modern clubs make life so easy, if it carries on like this then pretty soon you might as well just turn up at the club and piss into a bucket.

Go Old School, accept lesser scores but enjoy golf more, have I said that before?

Isn't the challenge whatever you want it to be? To many, its about hitting the lowest number possible, legally.

A by-product of the club development is not being able to move the ball as easily, but you need control to start with. Give someone a 1970's blade is just going to make life really difficult for them. Personally, I hate it when I set up for a feathery fade or draw and it just goes straight. Sometimes the amount of 'fault' you have to put in with modern clubs to achieve a bit of movement is crazy... equally, I'm not good enough anymore...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I told you I was not going to buy any new clubs 😁😁😁😁😁

Mmmmmmm got some secondhand ones coming Friday 🤗

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Isn't the challenge whatever you want it to be? To many, its about hitting the lowest number possible, legally.

A by-product of the club development is not being able to move the ball as easily, but you need control to start with. Give someone a 1970's blade is just going to make life really difficult for them. Personally, I hate it when I set up for a feathery fade or draw and it just goes straight. Sometimes the amount of 'fault' you have to put in with modern clubs to achieve a bit of movement is crazy... equally, I'm not good enough anymore...

This is a forum Brian, so I'm right and everybody else is wrong.

When you're first starting out it doesn't matter what club you've got in your hands you'll still miss the ball a fair few times.

You could argue that starting with a blade will make the beginner a better player in the long run as it's more important to get sweet spot to ball than with a GI club and so their technique will need to be better, and didn't we all start with blades back in the day?

I'm a pretty poor golfer but still find the reward of hitting a good shot with vintage/classic clubs a much greater attraction than using the latest techno-wiz to shave a couple of shots off a round.

It's not all about the score. ;)

(All of the above is my humble opinion.)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just had a very interesting session with Moogie this afternoon, dodgy swing but distances were much improved with longer irons compared to the last time I tried them. Went through the whole set, gaps were sometimes very close due to naff swings but good shots were decent.
Lots to mull over, 5 iron was going really well once Moogie had put me right on my swing/set up :thup:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played 9 holes yesterday with, as expected, some mixed results. I slightly fatted a few shots but I think my ball position was a fraction too far forward. My last hit was a 5 iron 183 yards and I nailed it ! The wedge, 9 iron went higher than I'm used to but I was happy with the distance and spin.

I did a range session today and its quite clear, for me, that i need a consistent set up with every club and not try and hit the 4 and 5 irons harder than the 8 or 9. When everything is consistent the shots are long and straight. I will leave them in the bag for tomorrow's team comp