Cobra One length

U

User62651

i have the fmax one lengths and each iron goes the same distance for me as my last set. The difference i see is the height all my irons now fly higher and stop quickly on the green. I used to struggle with irons and I find these irons much easier to hit for me.

Have they tried a lob wedge the length of a 7 iron yet?:p

Seriously if you're hitting a 9 iron the same distance as before on the same swingspeed something ain't right. The longer club length should have a faster clubhead speed by the laws of physics so it should go higher AND longer, not just higher. Maybe you're just slapping 9 irons and wedges with the longer clubs?:confused:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Seriously if you're hitting a 9 iron the same distance as before on the same swingspeed something ain't right. The longer club length should have a faster clubhead speed by the laws of physics so it should go higher AND longer, not just higher. Maybe you're just slapping 9 irons and wedges with the longer clubs?:confused:

Something strange happens when you try them, even though the lengths are identical my swing speed gradually increased as I worked down from GW, Moogie was recording my shots so he can testify to this. Not sure if it's the weight difference (5 is a lot heavier than the GW) or just a mental thing where you just naturally hit longer irons harder.

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site

i have a slow swing speed about 75mph with driver and low 60 with irons I swing my irons smooth and if i want to i can make them go further, i am getting more carry than my old set and stopping quicker. So that`s probably why i am seeing sort of the same distance With my old set i was getting less carry more run due to lack of height. Now i get more carry and less run out which suits me better.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Played with some old duffer yesterday who has these clubs, couldn't hit a barn door. No idea why he even bothered turning up...

:whistle::whistle:

Funny cos I played with a much younger wassock who's right handed driver suggested he might unknowingly be left handed 😂

Thats why they are boxed up and ready to send back - what do i look at next??

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thank you very much for your response, I have found the way in and are very grateful for your help. As for the post, as you say, perhaps as a new old boy on the block got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Tyrion is spot on Ron, I played in a team comp with the poster yesterday and the clubs were ok but didn't do anything that my current bats don't do. I decided to return them and consider what to do next. I did hit a few decent shots with them though

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
With all this positivity going on, here's the "Grumpy old Git" angle.

Club and ball development to make the game easier has gone too far and continues headlong down that path.

Yes, the you can hit the shots more consistently and longer with all the new club developments but the challenge of golf is lessened with each change, and it's the challenge that's half the fun of golf.

The thrill of mastering the difficult clubs is vanishing as modern clubs make life so easy, if it carries on like this then pretty soon you might as well just turn up at the club and piss into a bucket.

Go Old School, accept lesser scores but enjoy golf more, have I said that before?

This post, and many of yours, remind me of the vegan guy at work.

Im sure we all have one, who scoffs when you eat something that he wouldn't and calls you an animal because you enjoy to live your life the way you want too. Im all for trying other things but not when there is one person trying to ram their choices/opinions down your throat.

People enjoy what they want to enjoy about golf, you enjoy it how you want too, it comes across judgey when you make posts like this because people want to try the newest tech and such. It is 2017 after all.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Fair enough.

Not the way it's intended but I'll reserve my thoughts for the Vintage Golf thread henceforth.

For every opinion, you'll find an opposite view. I have no problem with what you posted, certainly don't find it "judgey" in slightest. And if you do stop posting a different opinion we'll be the poorer for it.

Alternatively, we can have a sanitised string of threads with everyone agreeing...

U

User62651

Fair enough.

Not the way it's intended but I'll reserve my thoughts for the Vintage Golf thread henceforth.

Nonsense you keep going.....the joy of the click of balata on persimmon and shaping an iron shot is lost to the drive-wedge-drive-wedge titanium, composite and distance ball generation..... Quite glad I started golf playing courses as they were designed to be played and had to learn to hit fairway woods on par 4s a as a nescessity......:D

Odd thing is we scored just as well back then on the same courses as we do with modern equipment despite it's 'advantages'. Drive for show and putt for dough I suppose.;)

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

When I was fitted for mine the whole point of the tech was that you didn't suddenly have PW's that flew 160yds. I won't pretend to know how the science/tech works behind it but when I was hitting the wedges with the one length shaft the adjustments were made to ensure that they flew exactly the same as my existing setup to ensure gaps remained as they should etc.

I went from 3 - 7 iron only because I didn't feel the need to have them in the higher lofts as I don't really struggle with that side of the game and it saved me a few quid.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I was fitted for mine the whole point of the tech was that you didn't suddenly have PW's that flew 160yds. I won't pretend to know how the science/tech works behind it but when I was hitting the wedges with the one length shaft the adjustments were made to ensure that they flew exactly the same as my existing setup to ensure gaps remained as they should etc.

I went from 3 - 7 iron only because I didn't feel the need to have them in the higher lofts as I don't really struggle with that side of the game and it saved me a few quid.

3-7 you say, hmm. Think I mentioned that in my thread earlier in the year why there wasn't an option for a "half set".

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
After being intrigued by the 1 length theory I decided to pop into an AG store today and see how they faired. I tried the new F8 irons on their trackman set up.Up first was the 9 iron, at set up it did feel a bit strange with the longer shaft but straight away I was hitting good shots, I was hitting the 9 iron 130 yards with approx 9XXX spin.Then the 5 iron, this actually felt much nicer at address, exactly as a 7 iron would.....which makes sense! A couple of dodgy strikes first, but then into a good series of consistent shots. total distance was 180 yards, with spin in the 5XXX numbers. I didn't really pay much attention to the shaft, or try any others as it was just the basic feeling I wanted to look at but I did like how it was the same set up for the 2 clubs and the same swing. Although I felt like they didn't go as far as my current clubs (this is something I would want to check), I did feel like I could be very consistent with them and the distance doesn't bother me as as I'm not a short hitter.So the question is, have many people taken up the 1 lengths, if so.....how are you getting on with them?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I tried a set for a couple of rounds. They did feel ok but no better than the clubs I already had. I fairly soon got used to them, but, I then worried, as a serial club changer, how difficult will it be to change back to normal clubs and decided not to change to one length

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I tried a set for a couple of rounds. They did feel ok but no better than the clubs I already had. I fairly soon got used to them, but, I then worried, as a serial club changer, how difficult will it be to change back to normal clubs and decided not to change to one length

I would be going back for a comparison against my current clubs to see what the differences were either way. Im sure spending the £400 it would catcost to upgrade on lessons would yield better results anyway!

D

Deleted member 16999

I got a second hand set last september and played them until mid-feb.
Absolutely nothing wrong with them, after about 4-5 rounds having one set up felt normal and it really helped with my ball striking (which incidentally was the area I wanted to improve)
I then saw the MP18’s and decided to change, no other reason than vanity, I’m hitting the mizzies extremely well and I believe the majority of the reason is the confidence the one lengths gave me.
If the mizzies hadn’t caught my eye I’d still be using them.
Two other points, also using Ben Hogans 5 fundamentals book and that advocates one ball position which helped with the one lengths set up, and I use hybrids up to 6I so never really used the 4-5 irons in the one lengths.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A friend of mine wanted me to make him a set of Wishon SLCs and plays off 3. He took to them like duck to water, no loss of yardage but gained 10yds on his pitching wedge. His dispersion is tighter, he plays a lot of knock down shots with them and just loves how simple it's become, one length, plane, and ball position.

I'm surprised not more ladies have thought about SLCs.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve just got rid of my one length irons and bought Ping G400. I’m glad I’ve done it as well. Whilst I loved the mid-long irons I found I could get a few crazy length flights from a pw and 9.
It sorted the problem end of my bag but I lost confidence at the scoring end. Before I got them I never used to hit higher than a 7iron as had no confidence, but since going back to normal irons I’m no longer bothered by what’s in my hand as they almost got me over my mental block with long irons.
The main issue I found which wasn’t too much of a problem was a low ball flight but you get used to it.
One length irons aren’t for everyone that’s for sure but certainly worth a trial if you’re considering them. they are a good thing just for me personally I decided I’d rather go back to normal irons. Guess it’s true what they say about a fool and his money!

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For every opinion, you'll find an opposite view. I have no problem with what you posted, certainly don't find it "judgey" in slightest. And if you do stop posting a different opinion we'll be the poorer for it.

Alternatively, we can have a sanitised string of threads with everyone agreeing...
Probably my favourite post on the forum :)