Clubs in East Dunbartonshire

LegendOle

Medal Winner
Visit site
I know its probably not the right time of year but thinking of joining up at a club again - Anyone got any recommendations or otherwise for clubs in East Dunbartonshire area?

Cant see many deals about that i would have thought there would be coming into Autumn / Winter.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know its probably not the right time of year but thinking of joining up at a club again - Anyone got any recommendations or otherwise for clubs in East Dunbartonshire area?

Cant see many deals about that i would have thought there would be coming into Autumn / Winter.

I would keep watching as any join now and get 15/16 months for the price of 12 deals usually appear for the start of Oct.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Are you looking for the best deal or the best course? And the best course will be down to personal opinion. I tried a few when I joined mine and East Ren was the one that really blew me away, even though the rain was coming sideways on the day I played.
There may be less deals around at the moment due to the influx of people who have been joining clubs over the Covid lockdown period. The ones who are offering the best deals may not be the best courses but the best way is to decide what you want from a course, then play them and make your choice that way.
Asking people their opinions, like you have done on here is another good way but you have to try for yourself.

www.hiltonpark.net
I play at Hilton Park. It has the advantage of having 2 courses which are very distinct and 3 starting points. I think if you enquire now they are offering a 15/16 month deal for 12 months. If 8ts not available now it soon will be.
Like Robster suggested I played a few local courses and liked it the most plus it's always easy to get on and play

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Hi mate,

I had a few years at Clober Golf Club when I took the game up. I'd still be there if I lived north of the city.

It's a decent enough course to play and always options for a regular sweep and medals every Tuesday and Saturday. Not a championship layout at all (par 66), but it's kept in decent nick and doesn't have as many 'gimmie' holes as you might think looking at the card. Busy clubhouse and doesn't take too long to play, or take too much energy out of you.

Their website is in need of updating, but I think they'll be a couple of hundred less than other 18 holes places in the area. I'd guess around £800 for the year.

Bearsden is another one if you are budget conscious, but I'd tip Clober over Bearsden. Bearsden has c. 12 greens and they cobble together 18 holes across the land with only 1 or 2 holes playing the exact same on both 9s. Nice clubhouse and central location tho.

Balmore is a really nice course that I'd recommend if you don't mind the drive. No par 5s, but probably the best course in the area I have played. A bit out of town and not much happening in the clubhouse.

Cawder is another option. I've played the Cawder course (big course) which is a good test & has lots of good holes. Maybe wasn't in excellent condition when I played this year, but still very playable. Not played the Kier, which is apparently very enjoyable. They do Sat medals on the big course and midweek medals on the Kier. Apparantly takes a long time to get round on a Saturday. Also a big membership - 650 or so - so might not have the personal feel to it that other places do.

Glasgow Golf Club - nice, if slightly unremarkable course (given the reputation). Posh place who don't exactly invite new members to apply and used to be a few years waiting list to get into the Glasgow site, during which you could only play in Ayrshire. V nice clubhouse when I played there, but had a bad fire last year.

Dougalston is run by Nuffield - it's a long and tough course that I didn't enjoy playing much. Might be improved if they have managed to get a lot of trees taken out.

I've heard Milngavie is really struggling financially but didn't play it when i was up there. Windhyhills has apparently been going under for years, but seems to cling on - again didn't play it.

Never played Hilton Park or Douglas Park when I was up there, or Bishopbriggs.

Most places will be doing a deal now where you pay a full years subs to get 18 months membership i.e. through until Spring 2021. Prob check their facebook pages for these types of promos.

Last edited:

LegendOle

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Always found Balmore to be a great course and they are currently doing the Play More Golf scheme which may be an option just to get back into playing properly. Think their standard membership runs Oct - Oct so don't think they will be doing any deals or anything, sadly.

Ive contacted a couple of other courses (Kirkie & Hilton Park) to see what offers they have on. Will see whats what and, hopefully, make a decision soon (y)

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Always found Balmore to be a great course and they are currently doing the Play More Golf scheme which may be an option just to get back into playing properly. Think their standard membership runs Oct - Oct so don't think they will be doing any deals or anything, sadly.

Ive contacted a couple of other courses (Kirkie & Hilton Park) to see what offers they have on. Will see whats what and, hopefully, make a decision soon (y)

Eest Ren now advertising an 18 months for 12 deal.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If you don't mind travel I'll throw Buchanan Castle into the mix.

If you want to stay a bit more local Hilton Park or Balmore would by my choices. Clober is too short, don't mind Douglas Park, Milngavie is nice but gets very wet. Douglaston is going to 9 holes I heard.

Kirky is a good shout to be honest.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
As you say this time of the year is probably not the best time to try/ judge parkland courses in that area , but there's some good deals to be had.
Haystons GC is also worth a look, as is Cawder GC , sadly the big course is too tough for me these days, the shorter Keir course is flat but still a good course, both usually in good nick.
Add Bishopbriggs, Milngavie, Kirkintilloch , but this time of year they'll all get sodden wet and mats will be in use.

Visit site
As the name suggests I’m in Milngavie and also thinking about joining somewhere so I can get out and play alongside my winter lesson programme. I’ve whittled it down to Balmore at £350 play more golf rate or Douglas Park who are doing 15 rounds a year for £450. Balmore a 10 minute drive while Douglas Park is about 5. The pro at Douglas Park, Robert Irvine is a really top guy. Post lockdown i have bought most of my gear from him so it’s a tough call.

If your over Kirkie way I used to play there back in 2015 when I lived in Lenzie and it’s a cracking course. Really nice setup and very friendly.

Let me know if you ever fancy a game.

LegendOle

Medal Winner
Visit site
I was also looking at the PMG option at Balmore. Great practice facilities up there and they are included in the PMG membership i think. My only concern was, potentially, running out of points once we get back into the better weather and longer days.

Eest Ren now advertising an 18 months for 12 deal.
I tried to test that course last week, was told visitors need to be in a group of two minimum. Said i was alone and wanted to try before possibly joining, woman said she would talk to the pro and get back to me. Still waiting.

Visit site
I was also looking at the PMG option at Balmore. Great practice facilities up there and they are included in the PMG membership i think. My only concern was, potentially, running out of points once we get back into the better weather and longer days.
With young kids I’m likely to play later in evenings during longer days so could probably get 25 rounds for that membership. If your playing twice a week you could burn the points in just over two months though. I asked the club about this and they do a deal where you just pay the difference between £350 and full membership so you wouldn’t lose out.

LegendOle

Medal Winner
Visit site
With young kids I’m likely to play later in evenings during longer days so could probably get 25 rounds for that membership. If your playing twice a week you could burn the points in just over two months though. I asked the club about this and they do a deal where you just pay the difference between £350 and full membership so you wouldn’t lose out.

If that's the case then I think I'll definitely do the PMG membership at Balmore. Are you thinking you'll join up? Sounds like I'm similar to you in that I have young kids but definitely looking to play as much as I can.

Visit site
If that's the case then I think I'll definitely do the PMG membership at Balmore. Are you thinking you'll join up? Sounds like I'm similar to you in that I have young kids but definitely looking to play as much as I can.
I am looking to join up. We have a caravan at Crail so was toying with idea of joining there but think would squeeze bit more golf out of Balmore during the week, plus the practice facilities are excellent.