Clubs for a pencil bag trip

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Off in a rental campervan for a week in Scotland next week.
I have permission to play some nine hole courses if I take a pencil bag.
Realistically five clubs.
What would you take.?
I'm thinking 3 wood, hybrid 7i sand wedge and putter.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Depends on the length of the course, and what the second shots are likely to be.
I’d perhaps swap 7, hybrid for 9 & 6.
No idea what course I will be playing, we're basically wandering around in Scotland North of the central belt according to the weather. Starting in Fife so will probably try Anstruther.
Wanting holiday courses rather than pricey ones.

D

Deleted member 23270

How big (small) is this pencil bag that you can only fit in 5 clubs? Why not take a full set?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it were me I'd take driver, 7 wood, 7 iron, PW, 56°, putter I think. That's six rather than five but a good mix through the bag I think to cover all bases, more-or-less.

Don't really agree with those not saying driver. If you just take a wood instead you'll be hitting every first and second shot with it, how boring is that?? I'd never be without my driver. :D

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I've been carrying a pencil bag round ours recently, and took it with me to Scotland last week, but I took 9 clubs..... Driver, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW, SW and putter. I played pretty solidly with that setup but I'm still looking at refining that a bit. My 2 iron is great off the tee for 200 - 220 yard shots but I'm not so good with it off the fairway. The 6 then becomes the longest iron for second shots. It's fine around Leighton but on some of the longer par 4's in Scotland I struggled to get near the green in 2 into wind. For future travels I'm thinking of dropping the 2, 6 (& possibly 8) in favour of a 3 wood and 5 iron, don't want to drop the driver though. That would still only drop me to 8 clubs. Need to make my mind up before my trip to Lofoten in 2 weeks time.

Mrs Wedge also uses a pencil bag and has done for the last year or more. She only carries Driver, 3 hybrid, 5 hybrid, 9 iron, SW and putter.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would probably take driver if I was looking for best scores but I am not taking it for a couple of reasons.
One is that there is a all chance the longest club could be damaged in the travelling.
In a couple of weeks I'm going away on a golf trip for golfing rather than this which is basically a touring holiday where I'm lucky to get some golf thrown in, I expect the courses will be shortish.
Practising alternative shots is part of the fun, so no driver.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
When I take a partial set out its usually ‘built’ around the course I’m playing

Driver and putter are a given. So that’s 2]. Other than that I need;
3] A 2nd shot club to advance the ball on a fairway where total shot distance doesn’t matter much, and choosing either 5w or 4H depending on how tight the course is and expected wind

4] I need a club for medium shots into greens/par 3's etc and that’s my 6I

5/6] Then I load most suited approach & short game clubs usually picking 8I & 50°

If I had to cut it to five clubs I'd drop the 5w/4H and just use 6I for 2nd shots

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can get 10 comfortably into my pencil bag, so I’d take 10. It’s the bag taking up the space so fill it up!
Mine is a small bag definitely couldn't get 10 in. It's also a single strap bag and keeping the weight down is an advantage .

DCB

Visit site
Some cracking "holiday" golf courses in most parts of the country. Dont discount the wee 9 hole courses, many have two sets of tees to give a bit of variety over 18 holes. Some of the smaller places even have an honesty box for you to pay your greenfee. Given a good day, you'll find somewhere to play and I will be bold enough to say, "you'll not be disappointed "

Have fun wherever you go

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I would take the 4-wood from this set.

002.JPG

I hit the 3 and 5 quite well round Painswick this week, but I did not take the 4-wood with me that time.

I would take the 4, 7 and 10 from this set.

SDC11306.JPG
The 10-iron is 54 degrees. The shaft length and loft of the 4 and 7 are an exact match with a 6 and 9 Sim Max.

(Which makes me wonder... Did all the manufacturers get the numbers wrong all those years ago or are the current manufacturers in a complete muddle with their numbering?)

Then any putter I might fancy.

Well, you did ask. :cool:

Last edited: