Club's compensation package for lockdown 3.

D

Deleted member 1147

You pay to be a member for a period of time, not to use somewhere a certain amount of times.

The club hasn’t stopped you using its facilities, the government has.

As such the club should not have to refund, as you are still a member for that time period (even if you haven’t had access to the facilities)

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
No increase in subs and a decent sum to spend in the bar or pro shop. Lots of work done on the course too.

If I had the option to get money knocked off / paid back or that they cracked on doing a great job looking after the course, I’d choose the latter every time. There may not be an immediate benefit but the course benefits in the long term.

They’ve renewed 2 sets of stairs, upgraded some pathways to rubber and returfed several worn high traffic areas. All of this is for the greater good of the club and it’s members.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Nothing from our place and they even put the subs up this year ?
Ours went up a couple of % but as the club had compensated us for last time and many put the compensation on their club account, we didn’t add the normal club account ‘levy’ that is paid on renewal so in effect we paid the same as last year.

Also what’s important for us as a members club was the course forum held couple of weeks back - 200+ members attended...when the Club Chairman, Club Manager and Head Greenkeeper presented all that has been done on the course over winter - and explained the rationale - and described what our course architect is recommending for four of our holes (significant changes). That’s important for me as it shows where my subs are going...and why - plus what further financial compensation to members would put at risk.

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Golf clubs do talk to each other. It is a very small circle.

I know of two people in out area who took their respective golf clubs to court (for what ever reason). Their renewals at their clubs were terminated, and both have found it incredibly difficult to find a new club which will take them.

Mandofred

Visit site
You pay to be a member for a period of time, not to use somewhere a certain amount of times.

The club hasn’t stopped you using its facilities, the government has.

As such the club should not have to refund, as you are still a member for that time period (even if you haven’t had access to the facilities)

For me, it still comes down to the fact that I paid full price last season because I paid a little early. Those people who waited until the last second got by without paying full amount since the club/govt shut things down before the end of March. I (and a bunch of other people) didn't pay the same as I would assume was the majority of members.....I think I deserve at least a tiny bit of that money back since we were not all in it together equally. They are offering this years membership at £185 off full price.....I intend to take it. I've talked to some others who are more than happy to donate their amount to the club.....I support their choice.....it's not mine though.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our subs were due on 1st January and that has now changed to 1st April. Anyone who continued to pay their monthly DD's during Jan - March this year will have a payment holiday in Jan - March 2022.

D-S

Visit site
I can see some rocky times ahead for clubs in the next couple of years, in a very uncerTain economic climate, for clubs that have given back 20-30% of their income to members. I really wouldn’t want to be going into the next couple of years with a deficit irrespective of how buoyant things are now.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can see some rocky times ahead for clubs in the next couple of years, in a very uncerTain economic climate, for clubs that have given back 20-30% of their income to members. I really wouldn’t want to be going into the next couple of years with a deficit irrespective of how buoyant things are now.

Unless they’ve reduced their expenditure by 25-30%......

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Not in my view, when you join a members owned facility you become a share holder and have a say on how that facility is run and financed and therefore you will have a say in the level if any of compensation. This is in no comparable to any gym or airline I know.

How about proprietary clubs?
Run for profit. Club and course separate entities.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
How about proprietary clubs?
Run for profit. Club and course separate entities.
As I said In an earlier post I suspect the legal position would be similar to gyms, airlines etc, whether though it would be right to take legal action to recover money from them would depend on a number of factors for me.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
My last round at the Proprietary club on Tuesday. New pastures from today.
I'll leave you with a parting shot from one of the course bunkers, I'd have been embarrassed to open the course looking like this, but I guess it saved the £££'s from having the green keepers working through lockdown! I just wonder where all the subs went from 800 or so members for 3 months?IMG_20210330_180226.jpg

Pjwgov

Hacker
Visit site
Unfortunately, having now heard from my club regarding renewals, I am saddened and disappointed. It’s a proprietary club and they are doing absolutely nothing for the members. In our golfing calendar we have lost 4 months of golf. The club then informs us they will be freezing the price of renewal, but what they forgot to mention was this amount was for 10 1/2 months and not the full year. I just find this slightly underhand and misleading.

Mandofred

Visit site
Paid my fees yesterday, at the reduced rate for this next year of £185 off. Now I'm still trying to talk myself into joining another local club and a 2nd place to play regularly.....I'm being a it of a coward right now.....no reason not to though.

sunshine

Visit site
Golf clubs do talk to each other. It is a very small circle.

I know of two people in out area who took their respective golf clubs to court (for what ever reason). Their renewals at their clubs were terminated, and both have found it incredibly difficult to find a new club which will take them.

I know. I had to join the witness relocation programme in order to rejoin another club. I now sit in a dark room with a digitally altered voice, all because of one careless comment to the lady captain about trimming the bushes next to the second hole.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No offers from my old club at all from lockdown 1 (we didn't close again), it didn't have to be money or discount but they could easily have offered a couple of 4 balls or handful of free guest tickets which cost nothing but bring revenue to the club and potential members.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have heard a rumour that our subs will actually be going up from what I thought they were going to be. Never mind getting compensation. :LOL: