Clubhouse catering

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
You would imagine that if it worth the while for a business to run catering and make a profit (even if revenue neutral for the club) then a well run club could manage it and retain the surplus.

My feeling is that all clubs need a general manager to make day to day decisions, manage staff and contracts. Clubs that still leave this to committee members / volunteers are destined to have problems or at least not maximise the most of their opportunity.

It is no way to run a club / business to have captains or committee members making day to day decisions who may only be a serving a year or two in their role and on,y able to commit a few hours a week to tasks.

Leave the committee up to organising the golf competitions, tinkering with course set up and running social events.

Grant, how much would it cost for a good general manager £30-£50K ?.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

I'd imagine so, yes.

Appreciate this depends on your club and the capacity you have to have catering, events and how many staff you have.

I've been at a club that was big enough to do these things, but had no GM and routinely arsed things up with regards to contracts and mishandling employee disputes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
GM did an article on the role of a GM at a club. They gave a number of examples of the benefits one can bring through a professional being at the helm, happier members, increased membership etc all helping to cover the wages. However, a big however, you need the membership and set up to be able to afford one in the first place so not all can manage it.

D

Deleted member 18588

GM did an article on the role of a GM at a club. They gave a number of examples of the benefits one can bring through a professional being at the helm, happier members, increased membership etc all helping to cover the wages. However, a big however, you need the membership and set up to be able to afford one in the first place so not all can manage it.

I really cannot see how, in this day and age, a Members Club can expect to be run without a professional Manager.

There are far too many facets to the organisation of a Club to rely upon volunteers.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our club has franchised the catering and bar. We just take a percentage of the sales.

The franchisee is responsible for paying for all staff involved.

The franchisee also does some the stuff that the steward used to be responsible for eg locking up the club house and car park. They are supplied with accommodation.
Same as our course.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Food is good in the bar, and at the halfway hut. Sausage rolls at the halfway hut, which are hand made by the chef, are the best I have ever eaten.(y)

Cost is very reasonable, as we seem to try to break even on food and drink. We do have a lot of societies that probably help subsidise cost for members.

Very rarely do I play and not eat at the club, so that must be a good recommendation.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Food is good in the bar, and at the halfway hut. Sausage rolls at the halfway hut, which are hand made by the chef, are the best I have ever eaten.(y)

Cost is very reasonable, as we seem to try to break even on food and drink. We do have a lot of societies that probably help subsidise cost for members.

Very rarely do I play and not eat at the club, so that must be a good recommendation.
The food at your place has always been top notch and always served with a smile from the staff