Clubhouse\Bar Levy

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've just had an e-mail from Camberley Heath GC telling me they have a joining fee offer which is now only £850 (50% off would you believe)

Clearly I'm not joining but I clicked the link anyway and was somewhat taken aback to find they have a 275 quid clubhouse levy. I understand why clubs do this but £275 seems a tad excessive to me?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
That does seem a bit high, I thought it was usually around £50. But then, if the club's joining fee is usually £1700 then I'm not too shocked!

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think our levy is £25 but i would think i spend about £400+ per year in our clubhouse.

My father was a member at Leatherhead for years and about 15 years ago their levy was £250pa. There was no way he would spend that amount per annum so he used to take us there for a nice meal couple of times a year just to use up his money.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Ours is £25 which is about the norm I think. Mind you some members at our place even moan at having to pay that as apparently they'd never use it. Go figure :D :D

My £25 lasts all of 2 weeks if i'm lucky :(

UP1.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
£50 here, it goes on in January and is used towards two of my daughters birthday party which I always book in the club function room. Id rather the club got it than someone else who doesnt put back into the local area.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
£50 here, it goes on in January and is used towards two of my daughters birthday party which I always book in the club function room.

Yep.
I'd heard you didn't use it on rounds of drinks for your buddies.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D
Half a Guinness and malt chasers I'll have you know mr Smiffy... Its amazing what those 7 year olds put away! :D

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
No bar levy for us. I see them as a bit wrong to be honest. If I don't think the clubhouse or bar is where I want to spend my money then I shouldn't be forced to do so.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No bar levy for us. I see them as a bit wrong to be honest. If I don't think the clubhouse or bar is where I want to spend my money then I shouldn't be forced to do so.

+1

if you choose to then fair enough, and no doubt you would spend it anyway, but if most levy's are £100, and y9ou have 500 members, thats £5k sitting behind the bar making interest in their bank balance.

Maybe im wrong.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just feel that if the bar is a bit sh1t and I wouldn't go to it otherwise then i'd feel quite miffed at being forced to spend my money on stale sandwiches and crappy beer.

If the club wants people to spend cash in the bar then make the bar a nice place to be rather than taking money from the punters to force them to.

Bacardibatman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

+1

if you choose to then fair enough, and no doubt you would spend it anyway, but if most levy's are £100, and y9ou have 500 members, thats £5k sitting behind the bar making interest in their bank balance.

Maybe im wrong.

sorry oddsocks yes ,you are worng so wrong i almost cant tell you ......... but i will

. 500
<u>£100 x</u>
£50,000

lol sry could resist ;) :p

seriously tho
i see them as an easy out
personally its up to the club to make ppl want to go for a drink

they get the money for not making any effort , ive no real problem if theyre small and for it you get a discount

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site

+1

Maybe im wrong.

Their bank accounts? If you are a member then it's partly your account too. If someone comes on and offers 100m to buy your course, who do you think gets part of this? I'm sure it wouldn't be us and them then! ;)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
sorry oddsocks yes ,you are worng so wrong i almost cant tell you ......... but i will

. 500
<u>£100 x</u>
£50,000

lol sry could resist ;) :p

seriously tho
i see them as an easy out
personally its up to the club to make ppl want to go for a drink

they get the money for not making any effort , ive no real problem if theyre small and for it you get a discount

even worse. ...

turbowoowoo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dont see a problem with Bar levy's although £250 is way too steep.

Unless you have to run off, surely it is a socially mandatory to have a drink and chat about the round in the bar after a game? I would be shocked and upset if this didnt happen as this is all part of the game as far as i am concerned. At my club we dont have a levy , but you put money on your card and then you get a whopping %25 discount!! quality in my book

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
This is the problem, golfers join a club just to play golf and ignore the actual club part and only turn up at presentations when THEY have won. This is way so many clubs in this country are unwelcoming to noobs.

Our club is £25 levy, spent that on a weekend.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Dont see a problem with Bar levy's although £250 is way too steep.

Unless you have to run off, surely it is a socially mandatory to have a drink and chat about the round in the bar after a game? I would be shocked and upset if this didnt happen as this is all part of the game as far as i am concerned. At my club we dont have a levy , but you put money on your card and then you get a whopping %25 discount!! quality in my book

+100000000000000

Car park members grrrrr

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
£200 levy goes on ours 1st March and I'll be topping up June/July onwards.

It's a club ffs. Not a pay and play.

It could be argued that because I pay my fees by monthly D/D, then that levy is spread over the whole year.

We get 10% off food, drink (including Sunday lunch with the family if you want), guest's green fees, and buggies. Paying for the levy and getting 10% discount is a much better deal than leaving the money in my bank account getting virtually no interest.