clubhead speed

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
clubehead speed creates distance so i believe, is it pure technique,strength,or both,got some strength,not sure about the other,last time i was measured my 7i was about 75mph, i'm 6'3,so got some arc on it,

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am like you but 7i distance and all irons has increased as technique has improved not swing speed

Proper weight shift made a huge difference in better contact, less deep divots, and distance 7i 150yds approx

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
clubehead speed creates distance so i believe, is it pure technique,strength,or both,got some strength,not sure about the other,last time i was measured my 7i was about 75mph, i'm 6'3,so got some arc on it,

clubhead speed is a major factor in distance - but has little to do with strength

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
It not all about club head speed for distance, technique, timing, tempo, ball flight, smash factor and I'm sure other things also play a part.
If you can generate good head speed though it will help provided your timing is good.
I'm only 5'8, but my 7i was head speed was somewhat over 80 at my fitting for the mag and was generating around 165 carry on the system, on the course I use my 7 for around 160 total, the machines can alter some things.
I would say though that as your improve your speed will increase as your technique does.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd disagree JT, in a non-argumentative sort of way :)

The only thing the ball knows is how much force is transferred to it and in which direction that force is applied.

All other things (launch angle, quality of strike) being equal, a horrible swing with a horrible tempo delivering the club at 75mph will hit the ball the same distance as the most graceful swing on the planet delivering the club at 75mph. One player might look like Ernie and the other like the Tasmanian Devil but the ball doesn't know that.

I agree that better technique is the way to faster club head speed. If it were strength I'd be doomed.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think maybe I miss understood, I'm talking swing speed as I got confused, I'm sure in principle its the same idea just diff speeds.
R3, I know what you mean, but I think there are far too many variables involved too say that everyone who swings x mph hits it same distance. I'm sure someone will set me straight though. :)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
the pro's dont neccessarily swing fast but they have a great contact and compress the ball correctly. That is why they are average 20-30 yards per club longer than me :)

If swing speed was the be all I would be over 300 yds with driver every timne, alas I am rarely over 230-240 :(

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree that better technique is the way to faster club head speed. If it were strength I'd be doomed.

I am doomed mate! :)

b.t.w. Remember Lorena Ochoa. - "Although only 5 ft. 5 in. and weighing 120 pounds, LPGA Tour Pro Lorena Ochoa's average drive is 271 yards."

She clocked in at 99 mph (average) on a LM and generated up to 150 mph ball speed. How's that for smash. :)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
One player might look like Ernie and the other like the Tasmanian Devil but the ball doesn't know that.

or Eeyore.

After all, one cant complain. I have my friends. Somebody spoke to me only yesterday. And was it last week or the week before that Rabbit bumped into me and said Bother!

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
but I think there are far too many variables involved too say that everyone who swings x mph hits it same distance. I'm sure someone will set me straight though. :)

Launch angle??? may be??

75 mph straight up I would think would go less than a flatish hit shot?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
IMO strength does not mean your going to hit the ball a long way. To me it is a combination of 2 things, clubhead speed and quality of strike. If you have a high clubhead speed and hit it out of the middle then it will go a long way, simple.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, you can't hit it far without some clubhead speed, and for any given clubhead speed there will be a maximum distance that can be achieved. But the speed needs to be correctly applied to work and most players would do better with a bit less speed and a bit better quality strike.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with the others that clubhead speed has to be combined with quality of strike.

The thing is that a swing like Ernies is probably more likely to deliver the force in the correct way (unless you are Jim Furyk or Tommy Gainey). That's why the pro's work on their technique. Not to look pretty but to increase the consistency and quality of the strike. I think they'll spend more hours on the range doing that than simply developing more speed. Didn't Luke try to increase his club speed and lose form as a result.

It would be interesting to know how much difference increase in club head speed makes in relation to quality of strike factors (i.e. ball hit from the middle of the club with a square face at the optimum angle of attack). I wouldn't mind betting that better quality striking is a more effective/efficient way of increasing distance. It'll be "better" distance too as it is more likely to result in ball flying on target.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It would be interesting to know how much difference increase in club head speed makes in relation to quality of strike factors (i.e. ball hit from the middle of the club with a square face at the optimum angle of attack). I wouldn't mind betting that better quality striking is a more effective/efficient way of increasing distance. It'll be "better" distance too as it is more likely to result in ball flying on target.

Too true.

How often have we 'swung easy' and the ball goes further than we expect.

The secret (which I'm still working on) is then NOT to think "Wow! Now if I just hit it a little bit harder it will go even further".

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The thing is that a swing like Ernies is probably more likely to deliver the force in the correct way ......

I think there is a big danger that people will interpret this statement lots of ways, and many wrong ones!

Ernie creates his club head speed from (1) longer shafts (2) a wider arc ....

Club head speed will be a function of the above mechanical elements applied through swing technique which will incorporate timing, which is itself a function of tempo.

Smash factor will convert the clubhead speed to ball speed - middling it on face, square face to clubhead path etc

Distance will then be a function of ball speed and launch angle; basic rocket science!

For us mere mortals it's normally the timing that dictates the club head speed at impact - most will release the club head too early and the club head speed then becomes a simple function of the hand/arms speed.

Get it spot on and the club head speed will benefit from the maximum angular release (ie the hands move the last 1" and the club head travels from waist height, or higher! through the ball in the same time period) plus an extra contribution from the shaft action - all delivering the club head square and centered to the ball :clap:

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i've been reading a really good book "swing like a pro" which is based on scientific research of tour pro's

they say if you aren't hitting your driver 250 yards (220 for a woman) then you will benefit from both distance and accuracy by working on your technique

if you aren't hitting it consistently at least this far i wouldn't work on improving club head speed

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
i've been reading a really good book "swing like a pro" which is based on scientific research of tour pro's

they say if you aren't hitting your driver 250 yards (220 for a woman) then you will benefit from both distance and accuracy by working on your technique

if you aren't hitting it consistently at least this far i wouldn't work on improving club head speed

as presented this doesn't make sense - golf swing technique delivers club head speed; it's improving technique that improves club head speed.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i must admit i can't remember the exact quote i'll have to dig it out........

i think its something along the lines of accuracy vs distance
work on improving your technique to improve accuaracy and distance will naturally follow up to at least 250 yards for a man

golf technique does improve club head speed obviously, as does simply trying to swing the club harder,
im saying don't try and hit the ball "harder" until you can at least hit it 250 yards swinging comfortably within yourself