Club v pay and play

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
As a beginner, would I be better off joining a local club or would I be better off paying visitors fees whenever I wanted to get out there?

Or does it depend on the individual?

D

Deleted member 16999

There’s a number of ways to look at it, if it’s purely financial then workout how many times you believe you’ll play and what gives you the cheaper option.
Personally I’d choose memebership over pay and play for the benefits being a member of a club brings.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Or does it depend on the individual?

It depends what you want out of the game ?

Are you just going to play socially or do you have a desire to improve. Everyone I guess wants to improve but playing socially may be more important. If you really want to improve I'd suggest joining a club, getting a handicap and judge your improvement on that.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
It depends what you want out of the game ?

Are you just going to play socially or do you have a desire to improve. Everyone I guess wants to improve but playing socially may be more important. If you really want to improve I'd suggest joining a club, getting a handicap and judge your improvement on that.

Yeah that was what I was thinking. From your experience are clubs okay with beginners or can they be a little awkward?

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Yeah that was what I was thinking. From your experience are clubs okay with beginners or can they be a little awkward?

Again, that may depend on the club. If you're an absolute beginner, I would pay and play to start with, play off peak if possible. Playing at peak times while being a member of club is unlikely to make you many friends :ROFLMAO:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Don't over estimate the ability of everyone else at the club either.
I spent a whole winter on the range getting "good enough" to join a club when I first started. Watched the members going out every weekend while I was bashing balls.
Eventually I reckoned I was good enough.
Joined, put my cards in and got a 15 handicap - could have joined months before and wouldn't have been out of my depth.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Again, that may depend on the club. If you're an absolute beginner, I would pay and play to start with, play off peak if possible. Playing at peak times while being a member of club is unlikely to make you many friends :ROFLMAO:

Yeah I'm quite lucky from that point of view of having a day off midweek every week

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Don't over estimate the ability of everyone else at the club either.
I spent a whole winter on the range getting "good enough" to join a club when I first started. Watched the members going out every weekend while I was bashing balls.
Eventually I reckoned I was good enough.
Joined, put my cards in and got a 15 handicap - could have joined months before and wouldn't have been out of my depth.

I certainly don't think I'll be a 15 handicap lol based on what I've seen so far somewhere around the 30 mark would probably be accurate

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Given how close we are to winter golf and how many courses are closed for longish periods, I'd probably play and pay until spring then join a club, at least you won't be paying for times that you can't play.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
If you have mates to play with and you don't mind not being able to play on a Saturday morning, then pay and play will probably get you into it.

If you don't have mates to play with then it will be better to join a club and get into competitions and get more regular games that way. But will probably cost more and mean a bigger commitment.

Playing yourself is ok, but it would be very easy to lose interest while getting into friendly matches or competitions will give you a focus and greater interest.

Lee73

Visit site
I’m a total beginner and joined a club... I might be lucky in the fact that everyone seems really friendly, I played a 13 handicap player and he was very helpful and I’m playing with him and another member I haven’t yet met Saturday morning.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like people have said - depends what you want to get out of it. If you want to continue to play with mates and maybe get better or just to play, have a lesson or 2 and maybe practice when you can - just pay and play.
If you can play once/twice a week then join a club. Don't worry about your handicap there will definitely be members to a similar standard to yourself, if you can play with members around your ability for a few games then I'd try do that. Also sign up for the rabbits, golfers of similar handicap so you'll be fine.
Depends what the club is like but most members are more than happy to take new members round, If their proud of their club then it'll be a pleasure for them. They'll give you some do's and don'ts, who to avoid playing with, what comps to join in with, when to get down to the clubhouse etc.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
joined a club as a complete beginner. i played a lot and got involved, with roll ups etc.

if you can play regularly a club will work out cheaper depending on where you are

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I waited until I was at least good enough to play to 28 before I joined a club, as that was the maximum at the time and I thought it would be pointless to be playing off 28 if I had no chance of getting decent scores. (Ended up being given 24 to start.) But now that the maximum handicap has changed, I guess the whole point is that anyone of any standard can join, so you might as well go for it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I spent the first 8 years just using pay and play mainly because my brother and other mates enjoyed playing lots of different courses. We lived in the Surrey/ Berkshire / Hampshire area and there were loads of different P&P courses at very reasonable cost.
It enabled me to be more subjective at what type of course I wanted to become a member of.

Playing with mates all the time we worked roughly who should get what in terms of shots so handicaps were very unimportant to us and I personally never had a problem getting to play some more prestigious courses without one having explained roughly what level of golfer I was.

I had put my name down to join a club after about 5 years of playing but the waiting time was in XS of 3 years

When I moved house I never thought twice about the choice and went for membership straight away , luckily the club I chose accepted members straight away.

At this time of year it worth looking out for club's that offer winter membership so you can try without a long term commitment.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I would join a club, means you can play whenever you want and paying a larger amount will ensure that you make good use of it and hopefully make you a better player by playing more.

A lot of clubs will start doing deal at this time of year giving memberships till the end of 2019. I got a deal last year at my new club, from end of November 2017 till end of March 2019 for the same price as a years membership.

Visit site
Given how close we are to winter golf and how many courses are closed for longish periods, I'd probably play and pay until spring then join a club, at least you won't be paying for times that you can't play.

I think this is the best advice.

I spent the first 8 years just using pay and play mainly because my brother and other mates enjoyed playing lots of different courses. We lived in the Surrey/ Berkshire / Hampshire area and there were loads of different P&P courses at very reasonable cost.
It enabled me to be more subjective at what type of course I wanted to become a member of.

This is another benefit to initially just pay & play.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I started playing golf it wasn't too easy to get into private golf clubs (5+ years waiting lists etc), so I used to play on P&P courses with mates & I joined a golf society, by the time I could afford to join a private club I could play to a reasonable standard and could afford the fee's & joining fee.

Being a club member for a lot of people is the best way to go as it gives lots of competitive golf at all levels, plenty of swindle/bounce games and imo the benefits of being a club member.

Enjoy your golf whatever way you decide to go.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Depends where you live. There might be only one or two clubs in the area.
I have over 20 P&P courses within easy reach. On Monday I paid just £5 (twilight) to play one 18 hole course.
A couple of years ago I played 76 P&P courses for about the same amount as joining a private course.
But not for those who need the social thrown in. However, many private courses operate a clique system.