Club Professionals - Lesson

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
As you know I have joined a new club. The professional there has a good reputation as a teacher.

I currently have lessons at a driving range but am keen to support my new pro and make use of the facilities at the club.

Basically my question is, is it worth having lessons in the nets or should I stick to range lessons for the meantime?

Thanks folks

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
wahey, another one racks up 1000. Congratulations. And I would certainly if it were me, use the range before a net. Plus whoever teaches you at the range will probably have a good idea about your swing already, where as the pro at your new club would have to spend time getting to know your swing.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done mate.

Forget using nets mate, they tell you hardly anything on how your hitting the ball. Dont really see how people teach a quality lesson only using nets.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I concur. It is crucial that you see the flight of the ball as you hit it to understand the swing concepts being taught. As you have stated before you get on great with the guys at the range and they know your swing quite well and sometimes offer freebie advice. If it were me I'd carry on using them.

If you want to support your new pro why not buy something like a club shirt or jumper if they stock them or even a few balls. That way you can break the ice. My pro and I get on well as I buy most of my golf clothing (jumpers, hats, shirts etc). As a result if I stroll past the shop I can always ask hime to check my grip, posture etc or ask a question about my swing.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Maybe a bit of both worlds. Continue with the lessons at the range and possibly invite the pro out on the course for some teaching lessons so he can analyse what your working on at the range? A fresh pair of eyes may even help?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't see the new guy sticking you in a net for lessons.....if you are aware of this happening, ask if it's possible to not do so.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
As you know I have joined a new club. The professional there has a good reputation as a teacher.

I currently have lessons at a driving range but am keen to support my new pro and make use of the facilities at the club.

Basically my question is, is it worth having lessons in the nets or should I stick to range lessons for the meantime?

Thanks folks

IMHO if he has a good reputation then it is not only from solely watching people in the nets. If you are happy with the tuition at the range then that's fine and the Pro will respect that. What the range Pros can't teach you though is playing the ball of the real green stuff and how to work yourself around the course.

When you feel the time is right, book a lesson with the club pro either in the nets or whatever facilities he has, or a 6/9 hole playing lesson. Hopefully, you shouldn't be disappointed.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I can see you've got a bit of a tricky one to balance here.

Could you not get your club pro to use the course instead? at my old club they used yellow golf balls with black bands so that anyone playing through wasn't confused.

As said elsewhere I can't see the nets being much use for anything other that chipping practice.

Buying some club bits is always a good move to break the ice and it's quite nice to have a club pullover(covers an unironed shirt too). A bag towel is a good one as it tells the marshalls at a glance you're a member as much as a bag tag does- well almost.

You could always just level with him and say that you are happy where you are for now and don't want to let down the pro at the range.

I suppose a pro will check your swing mechanics by looking at YOU rather than the balls trajectory but FWIW ive got some doubts about it overall.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Just found out that he only charges £35 for a 9-hole playing lesson.

This is great value when you consider that a 1/2 hour lesson at the range is £22.50.

Both have their benefits of course and the range-lesson is going to establish a rhythm because of the way it works. Also, the guy who teaches me at the range is fantastc.

Will probably go for the playing lesson with the club pro, seems a really good idea.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree with the suggestion of the 9 hole lesson. Had one last week and it was very helpful to have little adjustments made on the way round and to see the benefits.

You do pay a fair whack for your lessons down South though. Up here it is £12.00 for a half hour lesson and £22.00 for a 9 hole lesson.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
A second opinion shouldn't hurt unless there is significant disagreement. If they are the pro's you say they are that won't happen but the new guy will almost certainly spot something that may have been overlooked simply due to over familiarity.

Thing is it's your money and your game - it's nice to support your pro but you come first.