Club Lie Angles

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Stupid question I know, but i'm trying to get an understanding of this.

If you look at the lie angle of a club, lets say my R7 6 iron. It has a lie of 62.5*.

Compare that to, say the PING G15, which has a lie of 61.5*

Is this 1* flat or upright?

Sorry in advance for the, probably, stoopid question.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure there is a standard number. Lofts may be different (pointing to more of a 5.5 iron for the TM usually), also shaft lengths, etc etc

But just like shaft thickness there is little to compare between most manufacturers these days.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not sure there is a standard number. Lofts may be different (pointing to more of a 5.5 iron for the TM usually), also shaft lengths, etc etc

But just like shaft thickness there is little to compare between most manufacturers these days.

Not so much about a standard between manufacturers BT, more about how its measured.

Is the lower (from 90*) the number a more flat or more upright?

Jackooo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The way I thought it worked was the baseline was the standard lie for that manufacturer, so +/- 1*would be based on the lie for that brand.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not so much about a standard between manufacturers BT, more about how its measured.

Is the lower (from 90*) the number a more flat or more upright?
Sorry, the number is measured from the horizontal so lower number is flatter.

If you look at the whole iron set you can see the numbers changing thru the set.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sorry, the number is measured from the horizontal so lower number is flatter.

If you look at the whole iron set you can see the numbers changing thru the set.

That's pretty much what I though. So, based on my example the PING (Std black dot) are 1* flatter than my TM?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes you are right in what you think. But it does depend on individual manufacturers standards. I had a set of standard from one manufacturer, that were about 2* flatter than my latter set. But the shafts were 1" longer. So one cancelled the other out.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes you are right in what you think. But it does depend on individual manufacturers standards. I had a set of standard from one manufacturer, that were about 2* flatter than my latter set. But the shafts were 1" longer. So one cancelled the other out.

Dave. Using your example of a longer length shaft redcuing the effect of a change in lie.

Between the 2 different manufacturers I stated (PING and TM)

PING G15 (Black dot) 6 iron
Loft: 29*
Lie: 61.50*
Length: 37.25"

TM R7
Loft: 28*
Lie:62.50*
Length: 37.50"

Based on the 2 irons above. The PING has a 1* flatter lie and 1/4" shorter shaft. So would I be right in saying it would accentuate the difference (Flatter lie, shorter shaft) rather than reduce/cancel it?

I know 1* is almost insignificant but I'm just curious to know.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
it does make me wonder if this is the sort of info us club golfers do not need to know. but on the other hand, if your a taller player, knowing which clubs come more upright off the peg could influence your purchasing

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
it does make me wonder if this is the sort of info us club golfers do not need to know. but on the other hand, if your a taller player, knowing which clubs come more upright off the peg could influence your purchasing

Quite right OS, jst something I got to thinking about last night and couldn't make sense f it myself but knew some knowledgeable folk on here would know :thup:

I'm going to post a picture when I get in tonight and all will become clear why I ask.

BeachGolfer

Head Pro
Visit site
Its also true that a more upright club encourages a higher, right to left ball flight. This coupled with stronger lofts and longer club lengths i.e. greater distance, shows that the OEM's sure know how to play the feel-good factor for the budding new golfer.