Lie angles

JamieB

Visit site
I was fitted for a new set of irons earlier this year as anyone will know if they have read the American golf thread in the lounge section of the forum.
After speaking with a friend who plays of 2 and in my opinion has a good knowledge of the game, he asked me if my clubs were spec’d far from standard and he was shocked to find out the lie angle was 2 degrees flat. My height is 5,11. Is this a common spec for someone of my height or is he piling on the agony?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its not all about height, wrist to floor measurement is important (ie do you have long arms)

If it was me I would find an independent club fitter and get them to check the specs/suitability for you

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I was fitted for a new set of irons earlier this year as anyone will know if they have read the American golf thread in the lounge section of the forum.
After speaking with a friend who plays of 2 and in my opinion has a good knowledge of the game, he asked me if my clubs were spec’d far from standard and he was shocked to find out the lie angle was 2 degrees flat. My height is 5,11. Is this a common spec for someone of my height or is he piling on the agony?

Hight is one of many factors to take into consideration.

If I were you, I'd cancel the order and go get fit somewhere where they know what they are doing.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm 6ft and in Ping I'm 1° flat.
Standard in Mizuno as they're flatter as standard.
It all depends on your measurements and how you stand.

JamieB

Visit site
When I questioned AG about this they said it was because I mentioned my natural shot was a draw with a tendency to hook the ball with the ball flight backing this up in the fitting.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am 5'10" my fitting is 2 deg flat with Ping but I was recommended standard lie by Mizuno. It depends on the club manufacturer's standard lie as well as a static fit

Did they use a lie board for the fitting?

You hit this board with the club and it leave a mark where the sole of the club is contacting with it.

If you use a range with plastic mats you say see this for yourself with some types of mats.

Last edited:

JamieB

Visit site
I am 5'10" my fitting is 2 deg flat with Ping but I was recommended standard lie by Mizuno. It depends on the club manufacturer standard lie as well as a static fit

You hit this board with the club and it leave a mark where the sole of the club is contacting with it.

If you use a range with plastic mats you say see this for yourself with some types of mats.
He didn’t use a bored but he did put a marker pen line on the ball then checked where the mark had transfered onto the club face after the shot. Some of these replies have given me more confidence.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He didn’t use a bored but he did put a marker pen line on the ball then checked where the mark had transfered onto the club face after the shot. Some of these replies have given me more confidence.
It’s how you set to the club wrist from floor .
But one big factor is the droop in the shaft.
They bend down as well as forward / backward.
This has a bearing on the lie.
The marker pen method is good , but a lie board should be used to confirm.
Also if you are not happy with them ping will adjust the lie for you.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am 5'10" my fitting is 2 deg flat with Ping but I was recommended standard lie by Mizuno. It depends on the club manufacturer standard lie as well as a static fit

Standard lie is different for different manufacturers.

A Ping i210 7 iron is 37" long and 63* lie.

A Mizuno JPX921 Forged 7 iron is also 37" long but has a lie of 61.5*.