club gap

Banditchris

Visit site
after only playing with irons 4-pw. I felt i was ready to move on to trying to play clubs that would give me more length, so got myself a 3 wood which i love and can hit pretty well most of the time. Im looking to buy another club in the next week or so but am unsure what would be a better purchase. Do i get a driver or fill the gap between my 4 iron and 3 wood. So what i think im asking is, is the gap actually worth filling or not? Sorry if this makes no sense iv written it on the bus using my phone with a tiny screen and i forgot my glasses :(

A

Alex1975

if your ok with the 3 wood off the tee and your doing one club at a time I think I would start to fill the gaps between the 4 iron and the 3 wood. A hybrid or 5 wood would be my start.

Remember to fill the gaps with shot distance not just loft.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
after only playing with irons 4-pw. I felt i was ready to move on to trying to play clubs that would give me more length, so got myself a 3 wood which i love and can hit pretty well most of the time. Im looking to buy another club in the next week or so but am unsure what would be a better purchase. Do i get a driver or fill the gap between my 4 iron and 3 wood. So what i think im asking is, is the gap actually worth filling or not? Sorry if this makes no sense iv written it on the bus using my phone with a tiny screen and i forgot my glasses :(

Get a driver, its one of the fun parts of the game and i'm not in favour of messing around. grip it and ... you know.

Might be worth getting a 3 Hybrid or a five wood depends on your course.

Don;t get caught up with equipment just play and enjoy.

And good luck

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now you've added one to the top end. How about going to the other end and adding a sandwedge. More shots are saved around the green than from the tee.

Banditchris

Visit site
Thanks for your replys. Im trying not to get caught up in the equipment to much, i just don't want to waste money on clubs i don't need which is hard when they are so shiny. I just want a bag of clubs right for the job. I also already have a 58* wedge i use for bunkers and such so it is only the longer end of clubs im looking to build up but thank you for your input

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No need in my opinion to bridge the gap between 3w and 4i totally pointless, i agree either get a driver with 11.5 to 12 deg loft as it will be easier to hit, something like an old Ping G2 as they are superb, easy to hit and cheap now
The other choice is add a wedge as mentioned maybe a 52 deg or 56 deg for approach shots to the green

Good luck