Club comps, how are they going.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Talking to a couple of lads on tuesday and they were saying that the club Is struggling to get Competition numbers anywhere near pre Covid, especially at weekends which I don’t play. It was the first Ave heard. They said the new WHS scoring has stopped lower handicappers from entering. Ave heard that before and it’s been done to death on here. But they also said folk have cottoned onto the idea they can now easily register on IG app and play a scoring round on there so why pay £5.
One thing they did mention was some folk prefer to play 9 holes only and won’t enter an 18 hole comp. others inc me prefer 18. So why can the club not run a nine hole comp alongside an 18 hole comp so you can choose which you want to play in. Is it possible though, I honestly don’t know.
So how’s your club doing and if it’s struggling has it tried to change anything.
Cheers me dears.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Can’t compare it to pre Covid levels, but the tee sheet is pretty much full every Sunday for our comps. We are a small membership though and the company doesn’t run all day.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same numbers for us, no outlandish scores either. 39 points won on Saturday for example.

We don't have a large membership to be fair so perhaps not the most comparable. Comp entry is only £2 as well. £5 sounds steep.

Unfortunately we are not rated for 9 holes. I'd love it if we were and I'd certainly enter those comps if we ran them. Much more user friendly mid week.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Same numbers for us, no outlandish scores either. 39 points won on Saturday for example.

We don't have a large membership to be fair so perhaps not the most comparable. Comp entry is only £2 as well. £5 sounds steep.

Unfortunately we are not rated for 9 holes. I'd love it if we were and I'd certainly enter those comps if we ran them. Much more user friendly mid week.
It was £4 just before Covid. The club shop which is privately owned put forward a motion that it goes up a quid as his staff police the comp and there had been no increase for a good few years. The upshot being more folk will now play in fiddles. The one I played in Tuesday had 14 lads paying £5. Front nine, back nine and four nearest pins gives you a good chance of winning something. Ironically it was run alongside a medal. 21 played in that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No real change to Saturdays where to get a game for sure you have to play in the medal however we also introduced one optional stableford every other Saturday and it is noticeable that one particular group of Saturday regulars do not enter in to them.

Weekday and Sunday comps have always been optional and there is probably no real change.

Senior comps have now gone to optional except for trophy comps it was noticeable that there was a drop off in numbers on Monday this week but the weather may have something to do with that as it noticeable our booking sheet for today for example is very empty

We have been £3 entry for entry and £1 for 2s for as long I can remember.

AAC

Visit site
No real change to Saturdays where to get a game for sure you have to play in the medal however we also introduced one optional stableford every other Saturday and it is noticeable that one particular group of Saturday regulars do not enter in to them.

Weekday and Sunday comps have always been optional and there is probably no real change.

Senior comps have now gone to optional except for trophy comps it was noticeable that there was a drop off in numbers on Monday this week but the weather may have something to do with that as it noticeable our booking sheet for today for example is very empty

We have been £3 entry for entry and £1 for 2s for as long I can remember.

Same as this for us £3 comp entry plus optional 2's & sweep at £1 each

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our numbers are very much down.
I know the low guys are having their own sweep and just putting their cards in for WHS.
From 190 players pre COVID to 140 last week.
So it’s not just the low guys who aren’t playing.
But in the last couple of comps 58/61/64/62 have been winning scores.
It’s putting people off playing imo.
They can win £15 in their own fourball and put cards in , in the comp have no chance.

I think what it is , the course has played very difficult the last couple of years (water table ) pre COVID and players have returned big scores a lot.
Under the old system they just got a shot back every ten weeks or longer using the .1 system.
WHS kicks in and their bad scores are in their 8 counting and they now have vastly inflated caps.
Now it’s dry they are ripping it apart with the amount of shots they have.
Guy shot 64 nett and came fifth, that’s unheard of 68 would normally win.
It’s going to take time to settle down until all players have played 20 cards under WHS and not just their older cards counting.

Time will tell but it’s not going to change over this season imo.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
No real change at my place. Well over 170 most weekends, including all the low guys. Up to a hundred on the Mid-Week comps. As expected, the first half of the season was dominated by the mid'cappers (12-24), but we are gradually seeing the low guys at the top end of the leaderboard now as the handicaps are beginning to find their true level.

It helps that the course set up has changed slightly now. The rough has grown up. The fairways and greens are hard and fast. You have to play some imaginative shots to compete at the top end.

At the start of the season you'd need to shoot 63-64 to compete. Last night it was won by some dodgy swine with a 68 ( -4 )

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Comps are rammed at my place. Loads of moaning from players not getting t times at weekends due to players booking their mates in in the slots. I've suggested one player one booking, waved aside. Oh well it don't affect me. Senior comps are busy as well, but I've with drawn from most until the winning scores increase. 62 + 63 on Tuesday. Nutz to that.

D

Deleted member 3432

27 hcap with 45 points pipped by the 33 hcap with 47 points in yesterday's Stableford.

13 scores of 40 points or more :ROFLMAO:

The crazy scoring continues :unsure:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
27 hcap with 45 points pipped by the 33 hcap with 47 points in yesterday's Stableford.

13 scores of 40 points or more :ROFLMAO:

The crazy scoring continues :unsure:
Is that not as much about the good weather we are currently having? I'm one of the few on here who hasn't played your course but based on my past knowledge of links course the ball must be running a mile right now and that will help the shorter hitters (I know it can run into trouble but more often than not it is a help). Perhaps a good dose of rain or stronger winds will bring the scores back in line.

Either that or you have had a big influx of newbies to the game and they don't really have enough scores in yet for their h/c to be accurate.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Increase in entries - up about 30 on average.

Winning scores are about 44/45 s/ford points or 64 in medal strokeplay.... however, this past few weeks has seen the high handicappers start to level out and the low to mid handicappers appearing in the list of winners, albeit with strong scores but the course is in great shape!

D

Deleted member 1147

Busier than pre-covid, it gets absolutely rammed on saturday and wednesdays - every tee time is taken on a saturday, and we're still in 4 balls rather than the previous 4 balls.

I wonder if we've taken a few too many new members on to make up for last year's cash shortfall

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say we are slightly up on competition entries and a big jump up in membership.

Generally the competitions are being won with 'sensible' scores, 39 to 40 points or 68 to 70 Nett.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have more entries on Saturday comps than a couple of years ago (usually around 170 now). Scores have been sensible too. The last medal was won by a net 66 (17 handicap) and the week before that the stableford first and second had 40 points playing off 2 & 1.

D

Deleted member 3432

Is that not as much about the good weather we are currently having? I'm one of the few on here who hasn't played your course but based on my past knowledge of links course the ball must be running a mile right now and that will help the shorter hitters (I know it can run into trouble but more often than not it is a help). Perhaps a good dose of rain or stronger winds will bring the scores back in line.

Either that or you have had a big influx of newbies to the game and they don't really have enough scores in yet for their h/c to be accurate.

Certainly not the good weather, its been happening from the start even with the cold northerly winds when the course plays its hardest.

Sure the ball is running miles now but this just brings the heather more into play, not much dry whispy stuff here mainly heather and if you are badly offline gorse.

In the 9 seasons I have played here never seen scoring like this and with one exception its golfers with who have long playing histories, usually late teens to mid twenties and they are hoovering every comp up.

Lower handicaps end up playing just to put a card in for handicap.

Interesting to see what wins this weekend off the very back Blue tees.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Our main comp day is Sunday and the entries are way up, and in line with the extra new members we've amassed since the return.