Club Champs - Matchplay handicap allowances

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all....so my club is organising an inter club Matchplay knockout comp....all good there...however, they are doing it not in categories...so a 5 handicapper could be drawn against a 36.....3/4 difference is 23.25...so gets 23 shots....seems bonkers. I can understand people playing within the same categories of index as we do in comps but it seems to favour the lesser player in this format. We shall also be playing off the yellow tees and not the whites.

What do you think?

M

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
EGA 100%
Match Play: Singles:
The player with the higher handicap receives the full difference between the playing handicaps of the two players.

WHS 100%

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Full difference between handicaps in matchplay. A handicap is intended to put a player on a level with a scratch player. If his handicap is accurate and he gets 36 strokes that means that in a match against a scratch player he needs these strokes for the match to be even. When you say a 5 handicap player could be drawn against a 36 one , is 36 the handicap limit for participation in the competition? Such a limit can be set by the committee in the terms of competition but I'd suggest it should be clear what the purpose of the competition is and set a limit, if at all, with a view to achieving that purpose. At one extreme, if it were decided that inclusivity and sociability was the primary purpose, then there wouldn't be any limit and a 54 handicapper could participate. It's up to the organisers.

Also, the draw could be seeded.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The maximum EGA Handicap is 54 for both men and women.
Note: A national association may limit handicap category 6 to 45.

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Full difference between handicaps in matchplay. A handicap is intended to put a player on a level with a scratch player. If his handicap is accurate and he gets 36 strokes that means that in a match against a scratch player he needs these strokes for the match to be even. When you say a 5 handicap player could be drawn against a 36 one , is 36 the handicap limit for participation in the competition? Such a limit can be set by the committee in the terms of competition but I'd suggest it should be clear what the purpose of the competition is and set a limit, if at all, with a view to achieving that purpose. At one extreme, if it were decided that inclusivity and sociability was the primary purpose, then there wouldn't be any limit and a 54 handicapper could participate. It's up to the organisers.

Also, the draw could be seeded.
The primary purpose is sociability and inclusivity....so everyone has a chance....it is not seeded and will be drawn out of a 'hat'...handicaps range from 5 to 54....so I could be giving 3 shots a hole on some of them.....I can understand giving 3 or 4 shots per round of 18 within your category off the correct tees but to give at times unto 3 shots off the forward yellow tees per hole seems pointless...........and that's without taking matchplay rules into place which most of the higher handicappers will have no clue on....can't really see the fun in that.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The primary purpose is sociability and inclusivity....so everyone has a chance....it is not seeded and will be drawn out of a 'hat'...handicaps range from 5 to 54....so I could be giving 3 shots a hole on some of them.....I can understand giving 3 or 4 shots per round of 18 within your category off the correct tees but to give at times unto 3 shots off the forward yellow tees per hole seems pointless...........and that's without taking matchplay rules into place which most of the higher handicappers will have no clue on....can't really see the fun in that.
I've recounted it before but its valid here - we had a round a couple of years ago where a 27 was against a +1; never more than 1 hole in it all the way round and all square on the 18th tee. A great match all round.
I really don't know why people get so hung up about the shot situation, although I do accept the natural view that the closer the handicaps the better the game.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
....and that's without taking matchplay rules into place which most of the higher handicappers will have no clue on....can't really see the fun in that.
Could you please point me to the evidence that links handicap level to rules knowledge? Because no low/plus handicapper has ever got a rule wrong have they? Patrick Reed anyone?

If you are too good to play with/against high handicap players I suggest you join the pro tour and leave us mere mortals to enjoy our golf

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've recounted it before but its valid here - we had a round a couple of years ago where a 27 was against a +1; never more than 1 hole in it all the way round and all square on the 18th tee. A great match all round.
I really don't know why people get so hung up about the shot situation, although I do accept the natural view that the closer the handicaps the better the game.
I rather like giving loads of shots in matchplay.

I know that if my opponent plays out of his skin then I will be in deep doggie - but in truth that rarely happens. My experience as a SF handicapper, and having played decades of matchplay golf, is that the truth is also that the much higher handicap player is likely to blow up on any hole - that is why they are a much higher handicapper. I just have to play steadily to my game and minimise my own errors. Slightly different thinking for me if I am giving only a shot or three - then I have to be much more cognisant of what my opponent is doing.

Swango1980

Visit site
People get too hung up on the whole "giving x shots per hole" as being incredibly unfair to the lower handicapper. Yes, it would be unfair if the golfers were of similar ability. However, there is a reason why one player is getting so many shots per hole - they are nowhere near the ability of the lower handicapper. So, there shouldn't really be an issue. And, there shouldn't be an issue if the higher handicapper happens to win the match either. Otherwise, what are you saying - if the lower handicapper wins, it is deserved but if the higher handicapper wins it is unfair and undeserved (i.e. morally the higher handicapper has no right to win, and if he does it is only because it is unfair)?

Assuming that the handicaps are a reasonably fair reflection of the players ability, then even 100% difference still works slightly in favour of the lower handicapper. Yes, the high handicapper may win a few holes without giving the lower handicapper a chance, but I'd also expect the lower handicapper to win quite a few holes fairly easily. The biggest hurdle for the lower player may be their own attitude. If they start defeatist, that may well hinder them from getting the best of their round, especially if the higher player get a safe drive and second shot away, the lower player may panic. However, there is always that possibility that the higher player can still have an absolute disaster from around the green, with duff chips and 3 putts more likely than the lower player, so the lower player just needs to persevere.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could you please point me to the evidence that links handicap level to rules knowledge? Because no low/plus handicapper has ever got a rule wrong have they?

We had an incident recently where I had to DQ a low handicap player, of 30+ years experience of playing, because of practising on the course prior to to a competition. He said he was unaware that it was a rules infringement.

I agree handicap is no evidence of knowledge of the rules in my experience.

Swango1980

Visit site
We had an incident recently where I had to DQ a low handicap player, of 30+ years experience of playing, because of practising on the course prior to to a competition. He said he was unaware that it was a rules infringement.

I agree handicap is no evidence of knowledge of the rules in my experience.
True. I also know of a single figure handicapper, who had been playing for years (he was in the Seniors), who took an unplayable from a hedge he was under, and was adamant that he get's 2 club lengths from the hedge, not the ball (2 club lengths from the ball would have meant the hedge would have interfered with his stance). That is a long time to be playing not to be aware of one of the more common rules.