Club Captancy

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am taking over as our club captain early March and i wondered if anyone can advise me where i may get some help re a small speech setting out my objectives for the coming year? maybe 3/4 main bullet points,,thanks ...

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Tell everybody what an honour it is, tell everybody what a great job the previous captain did, declare you’ll be working with all the sections within the club to improve not only the course but also the reputation of the club to visitors, and tell everybody you’re always available for suggestions and ideas.
Easy. 👍

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tell everybody what an honour it is, tell everybody what a great job the previous captain did, declare you’ll be working with all the sections within the club to improve not only the course but also the reputation of the club to visitors, and tell everybody you’re always available for suggestions and ideas.
Easy. 👍

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What Mel S said is ideal. Be humble and explain you will need the support of your team. Advise that you are looking forward to the challenge in the coming season, explain that you are human, cannot please everybody and mistakes may/will occur.

Have a look on a few Golf Club Web sites and see what The Captain’s Message said. Especially some of the more prestigious Clubs.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Skytot

Visit site
Tell them how much you will spend over the bar . Our Captain was saying he’s spent £7k and he’s got till the end of March yet .

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Easy. 👍
Covers pretty much most of it really. I was thinking of anything else I could add but that sums it up without sounding too patronising or over the top.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
"I wish to be everyone's captain. I am aware of a great number of members that I have never played golf with. I will make a great effort to lessen that number this year."

I've never heard a captain say the above.
I've never seen a captain do this either.
It would seem like a worthy objective to me.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
If you’re anything like one of our previous captains, and I’m sure you’re not, tell everyone that you’re only taking the post so you can take advantage of courtesy at other courses, and then disappear for 12 months.

Seriously, though, some excellent advice above. Keep it simple, humble, and achievable. Good luck, and have a great year.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ask ChatGPT to write one for you…..

Dear Members of the Golf Club,

It is an honor to stand before you today as your club captain. I want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to serve this great club and all of its members.

Golf is a game that has the power to bring people together, and that's what this club is all about. Whether you're a seasoned pro or just starting out, you'll find a welcoming and supportive community here.

As club captain, I vow to do everything in my power to make this club even better. I want to ensure that all of our members feel valued and respected, and that the club remains a fun and friendly place for everyone.

In the coming year, I will be working with our board and committees to identify areas for improvement and to implement new initiatives that will benefit our members. I am also committed to ensuring that the club remains accessible to everyone, regardless of their skill level or financial situation.

One of my main priorities will be to continue to improve the golf course. Our course is the heart of this club, and I want to make sure that it remains in top condition for all of our members to enjoy.

I also want to encourage more of our members to get involved with club activities and events. Whether it's helping to organize a tournament, volunteering for a committee, or simply coming out to socialize with your fellow members, there are many ways to be a part of this club.

Finally, I want to remind all of our members that this is your club. I encourage you to offer your suggestions and feedback, as your input is critical to our success.

Thank you again for this opportunity, and I look forward to serving you as your club captain.

Best regards, [Your Name]

RichA

Visit site
Actions speak louder than words. Over the last year, our current guy has organised several mini Ryder cup style comps against other local clubs and a few trips farther afield, which have raised the stock of his position, the profile of our small club and been extremely popular with the membership. Start planning such things now and it will give you something genuine to talk about.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
"I wish to be everyone's captain. I am aware of a great number of members that I have never played golf with. I will make a great effort to lessen that number this year."

Hmm. Not sure you can go around killing off people just because you've not played golf with them? :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Love this. Most captains fail here in a big way!

D

Deleted member 29109

Don’t say anything you don’t mean or intend to do. And if you do say you are going to do a thing, make sure you do.

Otherwise there will be someone at the club who will take great pleasure in pointing out that you didn’t do it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just don't accept the antiquated position.

Golf clubs need to move on and become more modern....employ a club manager and leave decisions to them not fight amongst each other at committee meetings and change objectives every year with a change of captain and vice.

Radical but very much required.

D

Deleted member 29109

Just don't accept the antiquated position.

Golf clubs need to move on and become more modern....employ a club manager and leave decisions to them not fight amongst each other at committee meetings and change objectives every year with a change of captain and vice.

Radical but very much required.

Agreed. Changing captain and other roles every year can cause havoc with longer term planning and projects.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

This, at my previos club the captiain and other people in positions within the club got early access to competition booking and it was always the same, them and their makes take all the prime slots to play amongst themselves. I would have loved it if these people simply put their name down on thier own and invited other members to sign up and have a round and a chat to get a real idea about how all aspects of the membership feel about club matters.