Club Captancy

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Just don't accept the antiquated position.

Golf clubs need to move on and become more modern....employ a club manager and leave decisions to them not fight amongst each other at committee meetings and change objectives every year with a change of captain and vice.

Radical but very much required.
At ours, we have a Board of Management that does the major running of the club. The Captain and Vice Captain are there to represent the club, and sit on the Board of Management, but they don't ultimately decide on the long-term strategy. To be honest, I wouldn't have been a Captain if all the responsibilities were on me. Having a Board of Management made that choice a lot easier.
In terms of the members, I made a decision to enter medals at different times to meet different people, tried to speak to as many people at the club whilst I was there to see how they were, was up at the club several times a week to see how things were going, and also took time to chat to any visitors I met.
I never actually used any of the complimentary golf at the other courses (for various reasons, I just never got around to it).

But this is all getting off the original topic of this thread, which was setting out a small speech.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On a point about the antiquated terms with regard to the captain:
My club has a Club Captain, a Ladies Captain, Senior Captain and Junior Captain - Why do they use the term Club Captain when he should be the Men's Captain? Maybe we need to move with the times a bit more?

D-S

Visit site
On a point about the antiquated terms with regard to the captain:
My club has a Club Captain, a Ladies Captain, Senior Captain and Junior Captain - Why do they use the term Club Captain when he should be the Men's Captain? Maybe we need to move with the times a bit more?
If they are a true Club Captain then they should be an equal opportunity for a woman to take on the role. A lot of Clubs are constituted like this, mine certainly is.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If they are a true Club Captain then they should be an equal opportunity for a woman to take on the role. A lot of Clubs are constituted like this, mine certainly is.

Out of interest, if a woman is appointed club captain, is there then a men's captain appointed and is there still a Ladies Captain.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Out of interest, if a woman is appointed club captain, is there then a men's captain appointed and is there still a Ladies Captain.

We had a club captain who was a woman. There was also a lady captain who was a different person. There was no men's captain but there never is.

D-S

Visit site
No, the Club Captain represents the whole membership. They sit on the Board but do not get a vote.
The other Captains (Seniors, Women and Juniors) are just ceremonial heads of ‘special interest groups, there is no need for a Men’s section head as basically that is most of the Club not a minority.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have had two women who have been club captain.

We also have a line in our constitution that if the Captain is unable to spell captaincy correctly they are summarily executed on the first tee instead of driving in.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
"I wish to be everyone's captain. I am aware of a great number of members that I have never played golf with. I will make a great effort to lessen that number this year."

I've never heard a captain say the above.
I've never seen a captain do this either.
It would seem like a worthy objective to me.
We had a recent captain who invited 3 different members to play with them in each competition throughout the year. Great way to meet the membership.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had a recent captain who invited 3 different members to play with them in each competition throughout the year. Great way to meet the membership.

I did similar this last year, I played with 2 different people each week, easier from me as we are a much smaller section than the mens

D

Deleted member 29109

I think the parking space for a captain or anyone else at a golf club is a disgrace, especially if they are never there!

There are 6 reserved places at my club. They are almost always empty at the times I play.

sunshine

Visit site
I thought the role of the captain was to organise some social events and perform a few ceremonial duties. Don’t see how this has a big impact on the club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Agreed. Changing captain and other roles every year can cause havoc with longer term planning and projects.
Our Board makes all the longer term decisions for the club (Directors serve for terms of 3yrs, maximum of four consecutive terms) supported by our General Manager. The Men’s and Ladies Captains may attend Board Meetings but do not have a vote.

Further, our Men’s Captain is not Chair of the Men’s Committee, though he is a member of that committee - as is our Lady Captain. The Men’s Captains voice is heard where it needs to be held - his role as I see it is as principle ‘members advocate’ with his voice being heard everywhere that matters, but with no over-riding executive decision-making authority on matters other than perhaps pertaining and limited to specific Captain’s events during his year in position.

So if I think I may have strong opinions on any matter or if I might need committee approval on anything I deem it pragmatic to develop, if I can, a good relationship with the current Men’s and Ladies Captains 👍

Last edited:

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
"I wish to be everyone's captain. I am aware of a great number of members that I have never played golf with. I will make a great effort to lessen that number this year."

I've never heard a captain say the above.
I've never seen a captain do this either.
It would seem like a worthy objective to me.

Over 20 years ago one of our captains asked the competition committee to help him make sure he played with as many members as possible during his year. I remember because I was on that committee. We probably had 180 members or so then.