Clean air zones

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yes it might be but it’s really bad for your tyres and suspension.

To be honest most residential streets by me are 20 now anyway.
But can’t understand if it’s 20 mph why do they need speed bumps as well.
Because the majority don't follow the speed limit.....especially a 20.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes it might be but it’s really bad for your tyres and suspension.

To be honest most residential streets by me are 20 now anyway.
But can’t understand if it’s 20 mph why do they need speed bumps as well.
Road humps were never putin place to limit speeds beyond the speed limit but to ensure vehicles kept to the limits. 20mph limits will require more humps not fewer.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Road humps were never putin place to limit speeds beyond the speed limit but to ensure vehicles kept to the limits. 20mph limits will require more humps not fewer.
I really hope not.
The wife’s car needed £900 of suspension work to pass MOT.
Speed bumps and pot holes caused most of the damage imo as she only drives slow anyway.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Much better and I suspect very effective 👍

You would think, but add people's selfish attitudes then you get the problem

If everyone stuck to 30 , then I doubt 20 zones would be a thing

Much like the 3 min search down from 5.. people were taking 7

Example just now (hence my reply)

Daughter's school has double yellows. Parents still park. I understand some parents have to drive. Got no issue with that but don't park selfish

So they brought out signs of kids "don't park here" parents still do

There is talks of (like other schools) no car road during school times (dunno if they have these your way?) Basically only residents can drive during school pick up etc otherwise it's a fine ..

All that needed because people can't just park responsible

Last edited:

Alan Clifford

Visit site
You would think, but add people's selfish attitudes then you get the problem

If everyone stuck to 30 , then I doubt 20 zones would be a thing

Much like the 3 min search down from 5.. people were taking 7

Example just now (hence my reply)

Daughter's school has double yellows. Parents still park. I understand some parents have to drive. Got no issue with that but don't park selfish

So they brought out signs of kids "don't park here" parents still do

There is talks of (like other schools) no car road during school times (dunno if they have these your way?) Basically only residents can drive during school pick up etc otherwise it's a fine ..

Or the problem could be solved by building a drop off area in the school grounds. One is obviously needed.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or the problem could be solved by building a drop off area in the school grounds. One is obviously needed.

If you had unlimited space much like America that would be a fantastic idea tbh but space is limited.

Would be a very good solution

However as I said it won't work

But to prove pure laziness there is a car park down the road, free 30 mins . Can park there an walk .. it's a 2 min walk

That's what the head has asked parents to do . Many do and a few don't

One kid went to our daughter's pre school, he used to park on double yellows get his son then speed round to the school park on double yellows to get his daughter

Then again the current pre school for the twins people park double yellows rather than the car park litterally across the road

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Many schools were built, or are located, in places where cars were never an issue. People largely walked to school. These schools can not suddenly magic up land to allow for drop off zones. If they do that then they lose playing fields, playgrounds, extra classrooms etc

If councils want to resolve the issue, have a traffic warden patrol the area at the start and end of the school day. A few tickets would soon stop the double yellow line parkers.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If councils want to resolve the issue, have a traffic warden patrol the area at the start and end of the school day. A few tickets would soon stop the double yellow line parkers.

Regularly see Newcastle City Council vans patrolling local schools near my area, around school pick up times
On the roof
2 cameras, left and right
Catching illegally parked cars near these schools

Great idea

Catching out lazy ignorant people

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
On our inner ring road ( not that we've got an outer one but that's another story) there's a school with single yellows outside it.
No parking 8am-6pm Mon-Sat.
And there's a speed camera
3pm every school day there are 30 - 40 cars parked there, not only are they illegally parked but they also cover the lines on the road used by the speed camera...which is there to keep traffic at the speed limit.....to keep their kids safer.....
The selfishness of drivers has worsened in the last 10 years
These days it's " I'll park here coz it's convenient for me" regardless of the chaos it causes everyone else.
As for clean air zones, the traffic around the local schools must be pumping out so much crap it can't be doing the kids any good...and it's their kids who breath it in...
The World has gone to rats and the sooner that massive asteroid hits us the better.......

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site

Our infant school has this for a year now. The road where the office and the staff car park are fines you between 8am and 10am, as well as between 3pm and 5pm, not sure about the exact times. I know of one mum who got a full week of tickets before realising.
No idea how teachers get there, do they have permission just like the residents?

The road where the actual gate is is a free for all with parents parking in front of driveways and anywhere.
The facilities guy tries to get people to at least avoid the zigzag areas.
Once I saw a parking enforcement there during drop off time.

We live in a cul de sac one road removed but with a pedestrian alley between, we see quite a few people parking here. It’s fun on bin day.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Rich people can so they just park / drive where they want and just pay the fine!

Should be Three parking tickets in 12 months banned for 30 days.
There are traffic offences in Denmark where the government just keeps your car. Double the speed limit, I think. Old Polo, new Lamborghini, same procedure.
And in Switzerland the fines are determined buy your income/wealth. Can be a few thousand for speeding.

More deterrent than a £20 fixed penalty, or whatever the fine is these days.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
There are traffic offences in Denmark where the government just keeps your car. Double the speed limit, I think. Old Polo, new Lamborghini, same procedure.
And in Switzerland the fines are determined buy your income/wealth. Can be a few thousand for speeding.

More deterrent than a £20 fixed penalty, or whatever the fine is these days.
But how does this solve the problem of needing to take your child to school?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But how does this solve the problem of needing to take your child to school?
It doesn't. It might persuade you not to park where you shouldn't though. It is also possible to drop your kid near to school and let them walk part of the way. They don't have to be dropped directly outside the school. People need to think about this and a few hefty fines might concentrate some minds.