Clean air zones

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just a quick update. Drive to the ferry terminal and called into a McDonald’s which was in the centre. Couldn’t get to it but was in the clean air zone = payment. However I drove out of the centre and found another. Went onto the Gov website to pay and my car is ok to drive in nearly all centres apart from London, Bristol and Birmingham. They are Ultra low zones. 😳 So I don’t have to pay for Portsmouth.
So there’s different levels of clean air for City’s.
My cars compliant for some city’s but not others.
Look on the Gov sites and see the maps where the zones are. It is on a par with cheating at golf. They are rammel.
So I got on the ferry. Captain cracked up the engine, put it in first gear and the sun disappeared behind the black smoke.
Which meant the captain now owes HM government £14. But no coz it’s not in the clean air zone.
I agree with the principal of clean air zones but it’s run by village idiots. And there breeding. ☹️
Trust you have your clean air sticker for France.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Won’t a 20mph limit actually make pollution worse.
most cars won’t get out of third gear at that speed .
so lower gears higher revs and more fumes And fuel consumption.
I can see the logic but think it’s flawed slightly.

plus constantly looking at your speedo means your not looking at the road.

I don't buy the constantly looking at Speedo line

You would be doing that at 30 as it is

I agree with the above bit but the constantly looking at Speedo line is trotted out far to much when we should be doing that anyways

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds like you are a victim of the the War On Motorists.

No need for a 20mph zone in Solihull. Traffic rarely exceeds half that.
Well, if you can’t hit 20 then the speed limit shouldn’t be an issue anyway.

There is some construction work going on at The Hyde park corner underpass, so I travel in via Cromwell Road, but out via Paddington.
This week I traveled out via Cromwell and realised that while it is 30 miles in it is only 20 miles out. Now that’s one confusing set of speed limits. I guess it is temporary that way and both will be reduced eventually.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The council decided to make our estate a 20mpb zone a few months ago. No idea why, other than they had spare signs and needed to use them somewhere. Houses are in the middle and there is effectively a ring road going around the outside. The road is wide, big verges so excellent line of site.

It's painful if you stick to 20. I disagree with @pauljames87 on this, 20 is so slow that you constantly have to keep checking you are sticking to the limit so your eyes are up and down. Most people ignore the limit, 30 worked fine before, no accidents, no close scrapes, no need to do this. I'm pleased I'm not in Wales, having this limit all over.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The council decided to make our estate a 20mpb zone a few months ago. No idea why, other than they had spare signs and needed to use them somewhere. Houses are in the middle and there is effectively a ring road going around the outside. The road is wide, big verges so excellent line of site.

It's painful if you stick to 20. I disagree with @pauljames87 on this, 20 is so slow that you constantly have to keep checking you are sticking to the limit so your eyes are up and down. Most people ignore the limit, 30 worked fine before, no accidents, no close scrapes, no need to do this. I'm pleased I'm not in Wales, having this limit all over.

It really depends. I'd say 30 feels painfully slow when you just come off a motorway for example

Lot of my drives through London have become 20

If anything they move quicker because it's less speed up to 30 then back down again in the stop start traffic

But then I drive early so I don't get rush hour where it's 5 mph everywhere

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It really depends. I'd say 30 feels painfully slow when you just come off a motorway for example

Lot of my drives through London have become 20

If anything they move quicker because it's less speed up to 30 then back down again in the stop start traffic

But then I drive early so I don't get rush hour where it's 5 mph everywhere
It depends so much on the road you are driving on. Don't forget you are largely basing your experience on driving in and around London. That's a different animal.

If I'm on an empty, wide road with perfect visibility then a 20 zone is unnecessary imo. Past a school, absolutely, but for longer stretches I don't buy it. You need the public to buy into rules for them to work. I don't think people can see the logic in 20 zones all over 🤷‍♂️

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
20 mph is an excellent idea in small villages, housing estates and outside schools.

However. In Monmouthshire we're getting several A Roads set to 20mph, one of which is a bypass.

But, Dippy does have a stated policy of getting "Wales out of its cars." Very green, but given the rural nature of 80% of it, that's plain daft.

I guess he wants us all staying at home on the Dole!😉

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It depends so much on the road you are driving on. Don't forget you are largely basing your experience on driving in and around London. That's a different animal.

If I'm on an empty, wide road with perfect visibility then a 20 zone is unnecessary imo. Past a school, absolutely, but for longer stretches I don't buy it. You need the public to buy into rules for them to work. I don't think people can see the logic in 20 zones all over 🤷‍♂️

The best 20 zone I've seen was a sign that said 20 mph when the lights flash

IE school times

Rest of time 30

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't buy the constantly looking at Speedo line

You would be doing that at 30 as it is

I agree with the above bit but the constantly looking at Speedo line is trotted out far to much when we should be doing that anyways
I disagree 20 is just painful.
we have a few by us.

don’t forget your margin for error is smaller the slower you go.
so only two mph over and your done.
so speedo watching is a major problem. Imo of course.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And don't forget they are talking about making the limit 1mph over before penalty.
That'll be interesting as speedometers are not accurate enough.
Assuming these roadside speed check radars are accurate my car is showing 22 when doing 20.
I'd say enforcing 1mph over the limit is impossible.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe people should figure out how their speed limiter works.
Just somthing else to distract the driver when going from 30 to 20 and back to 30/40 mph.

Tried on my way to Tesco this morning ,it’s quite difficult to keep to 20mph because I was in fourth gear of seven in a DSG .
Because your in a lower gear any slight movement of the accelerator pushes your speed up rapidly not like seventh gear where it’s much slower so you can control your speed better.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
Just somthing else to distract the driver when going from 30 to 20 and back to 30/40 mph.

Tried on my way to Tesco this morning ,it’s quite difficult to keep to 20mph because I was in fourth gear of seven in a DSG .
Because your in a lower gear any slight movement of the accelerator pushes your speed up rapidly not like seventh gear where it’s much slower so you can control your speed better.
Maybe your driving ability just isn’t that good? I have no problem in either my own ICE car or my partners EV at maintaining speeds.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As a failed pedestrian, in a residential area AND on the pavement, I will always advocate for a 20mph speed limit in residential areas, around schools and town centres. In terms of time lost by a driver on journey that probably only a few miles in length, it’s negligible. And the argument over gearing, all those arguing that it’s too difficult to travel at lower speeds, I’d put money on you don’t have a problem in traffic jams and rush hour traffic.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe your driving ability just isn’t that good? I have no problem in either my own ICE car or my partners EV at maintaining speeds.
Cheeky prick.
in a manual car it’s easy but in a DSG it’s a nightmare.

My car is constantly changing from 3rd to 4th and back because it’s to slow.

Last edited:

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
Cheeky prick.
Must be easy in your electric go cart.

My car is constantly changing from 3rd to 4th and back because it’s to slow.

The accelerator on the Zoe is extremely sensitive and there is much less feedback to help judge the speed, yet still I can do it with relative ease. If you struggle then perhaps it really is your ability. Almost everyone rates their driving as above average but that’s not how averages work.