Clarification on rule

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've been meaning to post this for a while and a conversation with a work collegue has jogged my memory.

A few weeks ago, during a medal competition my father hit his second into our par 4 9th.

Just to the right of the green are white stakes denoting OOB course boundry (Approx 15 yards to the right of the green) beyond these is the clubhouse and carpark.

My dads ball came to rest against the OOB white post.

Here's where the clarification in required.

My dad was under the impression that the post could be removed to allow him to play a shot, similar to a yellow stakes for a water hazard.

I told him, as far as I was aware, Out of bounds markers, or ropes in between markers, cannot be removed, moved, or altered under any circumstance and thought the penatly for such was a penalty or disqualification(?)

In the end he used the toes of his putter (A' La' Vijay Singh) to bump the ball out, then play his chip/pitch onto the green.

Who was right?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Objects defining OOB are fixed. Improving the position of a ball by moving anything fixed is a breach or rule 13-2

You were correct.

I'm not sure if the ball touching the stake deemed it OOB though.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Objects defining OOB are fixed. Improving the position of a ball by moving anything fixed is a breach or rule 13-2

You were correct.

I'm not sure if the ball touching the stake deemed it OOB though.

Definitely right on the first count.

I thought that OOB markers were part of the course, and as such the ball had to be all the way over the OOB line before it was considered OOB.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
OOB markers are deemed fixed and may not be moved. Where stakes are used, the OOB line is from the inside of one post to the next. Where a white line is used, the line itself is OOB. The ball must be wholly over the line to be OOB so touching the inside of the stake is not OOB. (Whereas a ball touching a yellow or red stake denoting a water hazard is in the hazard.)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Whilst on the subject of OOB - the 18th at Wrag Barn has OOB running down it's right hand side. Running in parallel with the line of OOB and OOB is a track - then a hedge and trees. I'm guessing the OOB is internal and the first is over the hedge and trees; and they don't want folk playing from the 1st back over the hedge - or indeed deliberately hitting over the hedge from the tee for a better line in. But why not just have the line of OOB between the track and the hedge? Why make the track OOB. Can't think of any logical reason.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst on the subject of OOB - the 18th at Wrag Barn has OOB running down it's right hand side. Running in parallel with the line of OOB and OOB is a track - then a hedge and trees. I'm guessing the OOB is internal and the first is over the hedge and trees; and they don't want folk playing from the 1st back over the hedge - or indeed deliberately hitting over the hedge from the tee for a better line in. But why not just have the line of OOB between the track and the hedge? Why make the track OOB. Can't think of any logical reason.

if I'm reading you correctly this may relate to the rights of way over the track and ensuring that, as far as possible, players are not playing from where they are likely to constitute a risk to the public ie whilst they can't rule against people hitting over to that area (it's obviously not deliberate) they can rule against people playing along the line of the track.

but then again I may not be visualising it right at all!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks Dunc - possible as there are one or two public rights of way across the course. #

Simply picture fairway, first cut length rough, vehicle access track (not a footpath) and then hedge all parallel and running towards the green. Over the hedge is first fairway. OOB is between the rough and the track. Miss the fairway, go through the light rough, and roll onto the track and you are OOB. Distance from OOB to hedge maybe 8-10ft.