Chipping!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I wouldn't think about chipping with anything as lofted as a 56° wedge, unless I needed to hit the ball to clear a hazard or obstruction. From just off the green I'd use a 5 or 6 iron & hit it like a putt. From further away I'd use the 46° wedge. I was always told it's best to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My own personal view on chipping is much different to Gary's.

In the situation described above (Chipping to a 10 yard pin), I vary the club I use depending on how much grass/fringe I have to carry.

Either way, the technique doesn't change much, only my club selection which will vary from a 58° to a 7 iron.

Stand square

Ball fractionally back of centre

Handle pointing just left of by Belly button

Then simply rock my shoulders in a similar fashion to a putt.

Keeping the club head outside my hands going back and through.

I'm not saying either way is better, it's about what works

I wouldn't think about chipping with anything as lofted as a 56° wedge, unless I needed to hit the ball to clear a hazard or obstruction. From just off the green I'd use a 5 or 6 iron & hit it like a putt. From further away I'd use the 46° wedge. I was always told it's best to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

The video and its chipping method is a long way from flying everything to the pin with a wedge.

Pick a landing spot, a flat one is best.

Pick the club to fly to the landing spot, get the ball rolling sooner yes indeed! Easier to judge from my experience.

For me good technique has just meant I know how much till I get after landing and how much check.

My chips are now lovely low controlled spinning chips that settle up the hole lovely. They don't roll on and in or skip or hop uncontrollably. It's nicely between the two.

My usually chipping club is my 52* or my PW but it can vary from 56 to 7 iron depending on where the landing spot is and how long the shot is. Close and long it's a 7, far and short it's a 56.

WWG

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yeah will work as long as you are not using and opening a lob with 11 degree like my winter lob. I use an 8 deg lob in summer most of the time. I'd use my 56 and open just a fraction and do as above. My 56 has 11degrees to but a much small sole.

I made this video to show my friend how much you can hit behind and get away with it. I was only chipping to a flag 10 yards away or so. It is something you should play around with. Once you have trust that the club slides in under the ball there is no stopping you.

[video=youtube;nHkoJMGw1gM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHkoJMGw1gM[/video]

What language was that ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Chipping IMO is a part of the game that will always be a personal preference

How people chip will change from one player to the next

There are lots of methods used by players both pro and Amatuer

Which method and club will always be dependant on what sort of chip you are faced with in regards the lie , the amount of green in front of you , how you want the ball to react , the type of green you are chipping onto

I use two clubs around the green

- 56 degree wedge and an 8 iron

Will use whichever club suits the sort of chip I want to play - a chip where I want to get the ball in the air and fly it further up the green then it's a 56 degree - one when I want the ball running as quick as possible then it's an 8 iron but it will always be about trial and error to see what suits each person the best and try and get a feel for each chip

I even chipped with my eyes closed just to get the sound and feel of the club on ball with each chip

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chipping = more roll than flight = less loft.
Pitching = more flight than roll = more loft.

What's being described in the original video is a method for short pitching, not chipping, in my opinion.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Delc

Apart from moving the ball forward in my stance, I haven't really had to change anything. :D[/QUOTE]

This probably explains why the traditional method doesn't work for you and you blade or fat them. For traditional you want you weight left and hands lead the club head with a bit of shaft lean. New method requires the club head to catch the hands and in some cases over take through impact. Shaft more straight up and down.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Chipping = more roll than flight = less loft.
Pitching = more flight than roll = more loft.

What's being described in the original video is a method for short pitching, not chipping, in my opinion.

I normally chip with a gap wedge or a sand wedge. This is partly because I have a tendency to yip the shot with a putting type action, a problem I have overcome in my putting by adopting the claw grip. My other thought is that if I had a wedge a bit too hard it will only go 6 feet past the pin, rather than 6 yards if I use a 7-iron or something similar. :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yeah will work as long as you are not using and opening a lob with 11 degree like my winter lob. I use an 8 deg lob in summer most of the time. I'd use my 56 and open just a fraction and do as above. My 56 has 11degrees to but a much small sole.

I made this video to show my friend how much you can hit behind and get away with it. I was only chipping to a flag 10 yards away or so. It is something you should play around with. Once you have trust that the club slides in under the ball there is no stopping you.

Do you use that super strong grip for normal swing as well?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It used to be super strong for every club. It has morphed weaker these days and my striking has gone backwards in all honesty.

For those chips my hands naturally go strong as it tends to hold the club face open.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Trying to use the bounce isn't fool proof. Far from it. Homer has been trying to use the linier method which is basically using the bounce for a couple of years now and hasn't mastered it. You can still dig the club too much of you hit down too much. In drier conditions its possible to release the club too much and blade the ball if there is a lot of bounce on the club or big sole.

Actually this isn't true. Pitching I'm having issues and digging but on chips I am far better and getting a nice shallow contact and I'm chipping nicely. Works well in the wet and dry. Happy chipping but I've got pitching issues. Thank heavens HID has got me a lesson with Gary Smith as a Chrimbo present

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Actually this isn't true. Pitching I'm having issues and digging but on chips I am far better and getting a nice shallow contact and I'm chipping nicely. Works well in the wet and dry. Happy chipping but I've got pitching issues. Thank heavens HID has got me a lesson with Gary Smith as a Chrimbo present

Pitching is just a mini version of a normal swing. Slightly narrow your stance, ball in the middle, weight favouring your left side, keep your head very still and your eye on the ball (important), and aim to make your follow through the same length as your backswing. Above all, don't rush the shot, and keep it smooth and rhythmical. :)

P.S. Before anybody says anything, pitching is one the strong points of my game.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Pitching is just a mini version of a normal swing. Slightly narrow your stance, ball in the middle, weight favouring your left side, keep your head very still and your eye on the ball (important), and aim to make your follow through the same length as your backswing. Above all, don't rush the shot, and keep it smooth and rhthymical. :)

Linear method slightly different to that but thanks for the post. I'm not getting my linear pitching right and taking too much of a divot although the results not too shabby so it may be down to the sodden conditions. The chipping part is coming on. Might need Gary Smith's wisdom on the pitching

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting mentioning the linear method. I can get it to work out of bunkers...for which I am grateful, but I can't seem to make it stick for anything else. I guess it is just practice, but I can't get pitching or chipping right with it whatsoever

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Interesting mentioning the linear method. I can get it to work out of bunkers...for which I am grateful, but I can't seem to make it stick for anything else. I guess it is just practice, but I can't get pitching or chipping right with it whatsoever

Have you tried looking at some of the Gary Smith videos on youtube etc? The pitching and bunker method isn't too far apart. The chipping is a little different. As there are more moving parts than a traditional method it does take some work

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Was the first attempt an air shot ? I would be calling it.:whistle:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you tried looking at some of the Gary Smith videos on youtube etc? The pitching and bunker method isn't too far apart. The chipping is a little different. As there are more moving parts than a traditional method it does take some work

I'm in the no moving body camp for chipping, set it right at the start, the right amount of shaft lean (inside leading thigh) and accelerate through. I use the same method as puttibg, twice as far through as i take back.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yeah, got them all on my iPad as have his app downloaded. A few times, they'll work a treat, and accidentally pulled of a shot that was a lot more elaborate than intended, but others it doesn't come off quite so well!

Guess I need to practice them a bit more!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yeah, got them all on my iPad as have his app downloaded. A few times, they'll work a treat, and accidentally pulled of a shot that was a lot more elaborate than intended, but others it doesn't come off quite so well!

Guess I need to practice them a bit more!

Have a look at the feed drill where he gets the right hand feeding towards the target. Find it keeps me turning and keeping it straight down the line towards the hole

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Why would you want more moving parts. Having to sync up the body turn and the release of the right wrist takes a lot of timing.

There isn't really anything ground breaking in what he is saying or doing. Watch quite a few lob shot videos and they say the same thing about this releasing of the club head.

He is also hitting these shots out of semi rough. Quite easy to play that method as the ball is sitting up nicely. The trouble is when you are sitting on a nice tight lie on the fairway then your timing has to be bang on. Also of the ground is firm and you have the wrong bounce you are looking at thinning the ball.

Video on me and my golf showing this releasing of the club head for a lob.

[video=youtube;DG5HnT8jvfM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG5HnT8jvfM[/video]