Ball position- individualised or just work on?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lot of info out there on ball position and wondering peoples thoughts on here.

A lot of videos say have the ball of a distance 3 balls inside lead heel(so under heart) and vary trail foot distance depending on club and even my own instructor says the same.

Right now I'm struggling with it -sometimes still hitting fine, others anywhere between and inch to 2 inches behind which I get away with most of the time but obviously not a crisp strike.

Last night took practice swings without a ball to find low point, then tried moving the ball position back to where it was and seemed to help with contact but wondering if this is a quick fix that won't address my faults properly? Or on the other hand is ball position an individual thing since we are all built differently?

Listening to on the mark Podcasts and so many different views on it- Geoff Ogilvy the one that seemed to go against the main saying it's fluid dependant on person and conditions as we don't play golf in straight lines and lies. Another guys though talks about Charley Hoffman I think it was always has same position no matter what shape or trajectory he wants to hit it- he gets his body, hands and arms to do that.

Watched this video and chuck cook seems to say find your own low point rather than following a guide? Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_T74m2j9E

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You can position the ball in the centre and adjust the swing.
OR
You can keep the swing* and adjust the ball position.

In other words, if you tend to hang back at impact, move the ball back whereas if you sway forward, move the ball forward.

It all depends on how much time you can practice and how good you want to become.

It is a bit of a quick fix really which will improve the contact but probably won't get you on tour.

*As long as the swing is half decent.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think ball position can vary dramatically depending on the golfer. If you take a really wide stance, then your probably going to have the ball further back from your left heel than someone who has a narrow stance. I'm a narrow stance player so my driver ball position is roughly level or just inside my heel. Then all of my other shots are about 2 balls inside of my heel.