chipping

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
quite possibly the weekest part of my game... (not including putting, driving, long and short irons)

very rarely i will pull it off how i picture it in my mind before i play, which is a tiny bit of flight then rolling out towards the hole. i normally thin it right through and straight out the other side occasionally stop closed and rarely gone in. I have tried usin my sw, a 60*wedge my 7 iron with a putting stroke (which seems to work a bit mroe controlled)

anyway is there a common fault for this? i now dread landing just short or just long of the green in slightly longer grass. eg fairway or 1st cut.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Use a 8/9 iron putting stroke. Try moving the ball back in your stance if you thin it. Oh and stop look where its gone as you hit it.;) ..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
One word - V-easy

Great bit of kit that takes all the wrist action out of the shot and allows a simple back and through motion. It has given my chipping the kiss of life and believe me it was moments from corpsing completely. Speak to Bob and he'll PM you the finer points and where you can send payment to ;):D

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't if this is the right technique or not but I stand with my feet about 8 inches apart and slightly open with the ball level with my back foot and slightly closer than normal. I also turn my right hand more on top of the club to try and eliminate any wrist movement and use a smooth putting motion but commit to the shot. That's probably really bad advice but it works for me anyway.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
thanks homer bob has all ready sent a pm just been reading up about it. Looks like a handy aid. Never really tried any practice aids before accept a putting machine in my bedroom when I couldnt play for 2 months as was on crutches due to a knee injury.
Would you say then it was deffinately money well spent and worth investing?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the biggest problem i had with chipping was not accelerating through the ball. a Short game lesson could be an ideal way to change any technique faults and see better scores

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All I think about is keeping my weight on my front foot and keeping my body as still as possible, especially my legs.
Once I've figured out where I want the ball to land I don't look at the hole again, just my landing area.

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds like the left wrist breaking down or looking up thus raising the bottom of the swing to me.

That v-easy thing might help. Other way is to stick a knife in your watch so that you stab yourself in the hand/arm if you let the left wrist break through the shot.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You are never going to chip close regularly, without a consistant strike. Do the basics (said already).

Then chose where you want to land the ball. About 10 feet on the green is good. A low landing point on the green is also good (as if you land it short, the slope kicks the ball on and if you land it long the slope checks the ball up). Then the loft of your chosen club dictates the length of roll requierd to the hole.

Remember, weight and hands forward, ball back.

For delicate chips I use a putting grip and the heal of the club off the ground at address.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I dont like a putting style with a club. The club is not like a putter, it is further away from you, a straight back and through chip needs perfect timing as just a little bit out and you will either thin or hit fat.

I like to feel the clubhead turning back and through on a natural arc rather than back and forward down the line, that just has a wooden feel to me, my method feels more natural. I also use a hinge and hold method where I hinge the wrists a little before taking the club back. I then unhinge into the ball with the forward turn but DONT let the clubhead pass my hands. A shorter backswing and longer follow through helps to keep accellerating.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
thanks homer bob has all ready sent a pm just been reading up about it. Looks like a handy aid. Never really tried any practice aids before accept a putting machine in my bedroom when I couldnt play for 2 months as was on crutches due to a knee injury.
Would you say then it was deffinately money well spent and worth investing?

Definitely worth the money. The V-Easy has a lot of supporters on here. My short game was crucifying me and although I am still pretty rubbish, regular practice has given me a nice back and through technique. My advice would also to be look at the ball position. Too far back isn't good and I'd be looking to get it towards the middle of the stance or a fraction forward of that. To be honest, get a V-easy, give it a go and feel the stroke and maybe get a pro to give you a lesson. Once you've got a basic stroke that works you can have some great fun playing around with different shots and learn to hit them high, low, check them or let them run out.