Chipping

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong with the little chip shots around the green.

I try not to break my wrists or move my lower half too much, and sweep the ball off the surface, like the club would just skim the grass if the ball weren't there.
I stand with quite an open stance and have the ball about 6 inches in front of my back foot.

The problem is that every now and then I catch the ground a couple of inches before the ball which takes all the speed out of the club and I duff the chip about 3 feet.

Because that is in my head, most of my chips are almost thinned, the bottom of the club hits the ball about a quarter of the way up it rather than the sweet spot hitting the ball.

Is there something obvious I should check that I'm probably doing wrong, or any drills for catching the ball right?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you use your 60 degree wedge arond the greens?iuse mine all the time,i think your problem is your trying to sweep the ball off the ground.Try taking your club back steeper and hit down on the ball.Also you can try lifting the heel of the club off the ground slightly it can help produce a better contact,also try and be 60/40 favouring your left side with your weight,hope it helps.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
After my chipping display last friday I'm in no position to give any advice at all! So I'll be reading intently too.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Stand closer to the ball so that the club is a fraction more upright, swings back and UP, not back and around.... if it goes around then the tendency is to be way too flat and you'll end up trying to scoop it.

Keep your stance narrow and weight on your left foot.

Keep the grip of the club ahead of the clubface at all times.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get a v-easy

I have been having huge chipping problems as per my blog but went out with the V-easy today and got a much more rocking sensation and no wrist break and back to happy days. I use the heel up, toe down method as I find it helps stop some of the duffs. I think justoneuk has it right about swinging too much around. I felt I was always trying to lift the chips and ended up with a funny chicken wing sort of result.

The v-easy makes it much easier to just take the club back and through although on the longer chip and runs there does have to be a certain degree of hip turn to allow the arms to contine through after impact.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If I'm only just off the green but too far to use the putter, I'll normally use a 7 or 8 iron.
If I have to fly any distance I use my 52 wedge mostly.

I find that if I try to lift up more than take away I end up stabbing at the ball with little or no follow through, and find it much much harder to judge the weight.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, I have a few things to try now. Until the clocks go forward next week I can just about get to the club with 20 minutes of light left so time to hit the chipping area I think. :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi.I take it you mean the little chips that are from just off the green with the pin quite close to you?
As James says, stand close to the ball, heals about 3-4 inches apart, ball in the CENTRE of your stance and weight favouring your left foot (as you are right handed).
DO NOT pick it up steeply and hit down on it, thats for pitching.
Some coaches suggest taking off your glove and use your putting grip.
Hold the club at the bottom of the grip and just rock your shoulders like your putting stroke.
And lastly, if you get the chance to do some practice, try chipping it with a rescue club (if you have one)
Good luck with it
And if all else fails, get a "you know what" :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
.I take it you mean the little chips that are from just off the green with the pin quite close to you?

Yep, thems the ones. It only takes a little bit of contact with the ground before the ball to ruin the shot as I've got the strength of a supermodel in my wrists :eek:

A chipper !

I already have even trouble deciding which 1 club to leave out of my bag, I couldn't handle having to choose 2!