Chipping yips

micklson66

Visit site
Anyone ever overcome the chipping yips ?
Its completely ruining my enjoyment of the game.
Ive suffered for about two years now and have to use the putter from off the green. As soon as i miss the green i am filled with fear as i realise i have to chip.
Watched loads of videos on youtube but nothing works :(

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nothing is wrong with a putter off the green, also worth trying a hybrid.

In other words, embrace it and play different shots for a while, then check back with wedges from time to time - chances are you’d get back to normal shots.

Have had multiple bouts of struggles and it passes every time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was naming yourself Mickelson an attempt at irony then? :D

Obviously the yips are more mental than technical, but all I do is take an 8 iron out, grip down it slightly, hold it a little more upright and basically hit a putting stroke with it. I don't know if this will help you, but the feel is like you're hitting a long putt, but it just happens to be an 8 iron in your hands. Alternatively, you could buy a chipper - they were basically invented for people in your situation. I find you can do the same thing with an 8 iron though.. but the chipper looking more like a putter may get your over the mental hurdle.

I have heard that some people chip left-handed to overcome yips. Bit weird but might be worth a go.

micklson66

Visit site
Thanks for the tips.
Will give them a go.
I think it is a mental thing as I've been to the local pro and he helped me with set up etc but i haven't been able to cure it

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 fixes i would try are.

Less loft
long putt stroke not "chip" hands dont start behind and pass the clubhead during the shot.
pick a landing spot and hit to that rather than the hole.

D

Deleted member 1147

For a simple chip and run:

Weight 60:40 on front foot.
Ball middle to back of stance.
Not too much loft.
Take club straight back (not outside or inside the line) and count “one”; then return club, at the same speed, to the back of the ball and count “two”.

micklson66

Visit site
When you do have to chip, are you wristy or do you try and use a putting stroke?

I have always been "wristy" when chipping but recently have been trying to use more of a putting stroke. I think i decelerate even though i try hard not to.

Thanks for the other replies. I have never tried the left handed option but will have a go.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The hybrid is a good shout.
I have seen lads actually play back down the fairway then onto the green with a hybrid when having to go over a bunker.
It’s a 20% technical thing but mostly just confidence and only you can overcome that.
Get your technical things right and the rest will follow.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have never overcome them.:(

Using a hybrid whenever possible helps. Can't shank it. I have now developed the yips with long putts from just off the green.

Can still play out of bunkers as it is a longer swing. Don't want to upset Paddy but leaving a full shot in rather than a 30 yard chip also helps.;)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Had them for three or four years now.

Chipping was a strong part of my game and I used the Stan Utley method of mostly body pivot rather than wrists bit for some reason I lost the ability to do this and developed a wristy jerk of the club to the ball and all sorts of body sways, resulting in fats, thins, quits, etc.

After much hair pulling and practice I seem to be finally rediscovering my old action and today hit some nice chips, some average, but no horror shots.
I'm sure the next game there will be a few wild ones but I guess it's just a matter of working through it until confidence is rediscovered.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have had bouts of this in the past, default becomes to use the hybrid where possible. The other option is to distract the brain by doing something different; chip with 1 hand (right easier than left imo), chip standing on one leg (easiest if you do on left leg and touch ground with right behind you). Head to the practise ground and try some different things to change the routine/feeling. If it really is a mental issue not a technical one then all the technical advice in the world wont help you until you change the mental side and actual trust/believe what you are doing works (and if I knew how to get there consistently the book would be on amazon lol)