Childrens golf

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
My seven year old daughter has started to learn and wondered if anyone had any advice before I start her off in the wrong direction. She currently has a group lesson at the range every Saturday morning with 4other children 3 girls 1 boy. I have been Ill the last few weeks so haven't been able to add any extra practise in, so far covered the half swing, chipping and fairway woods. She enjoys it so want to keep the fun element in it for her. She knocks her little 6 iron between 40-60 yards bit mostly dead straight! Any tips greatly received or how did you guide your littles ones, I'm loving spending more time with her as I work long hours it really helps us connect.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Please don't push her into practicing.
If she asks, take her if she doesn't ask, dont.
Let her enjoy the classes with the other juniors and let the pro do the teaching.
Above all, as you say it has to be fun

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
When my boy first started the game he had group lessons. The pro was brilliant with the kids. He encouraged them, kept the sessions fun and always finished with a spot of competition for a small prize (mars bar/ bag of crisps)

Unfortunately the pro moved on so another one took over. Dear God he was awful. Had very little to say, no great encouragement or fun aspect. No competition. The kids dropped out one by one as they were just soooo bored.

Stick with the group lessons, they are less formal and hopefully fun. Let's face it, a 7 yr old will soon get bored if the session deals technically. She just wants to go down and hit some balls at this stage. Encourage but don't push. Don't be too upset if she loses interest, kids soon get fed up.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My 14 year old Stepson has just started having proper lessons at Cooden GC and I am very tempted to get him junior membership as it only costs £55.00 per year until he is 16. I'd really love him to get to know a few more of the youngsters down there, make friends with a couple of them and head out on the golf course for 18/36/54 holes!!
He started having group lessons at a nearby range but I didn't feel he was getting the best tuition as the groups were quite large and it appears he was basically given a club and a basket of balls and told to get on with it.
The assistant pro at Cooden advertised a course of 6 x 1 hour lessons for "complete beginners" for a total cost of £18.00 a couple of months ago and we sent Nick to these and he thoroughly enjoyed it.
I have had a couple of games with him at a local 9 hole course, it's a bit rough and ready but Nick sees a tee and a flag at the far end and as far as he is concerned its a golf course.
He has big problems keeping track of the number of shots he's had though

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Bit like his Step-Dad eh?

The Boy like to play our par 3 course and I'm hoping that soon he'll want to start having proper lessons. He wants to come out with me and Uncle Fragger!

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
No she loves going, I ask if she wants to go to the golf range as she calls it! If she says no I want mind she hasn't yet though think she likes the time with me also and impressing me when she creams one, she turns around beams telling me how far or telling me it's past the net, we high five, hug etc. I tell her if she can do it with the next one she can have a sweet. I hope to take her to the pitch and put as soon as I'm well and show her a "proper golf course".

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I get the feeling she will beat me sooner than later! It's great sitting in with the lessons, it's like starting from scratch all over again I see her errors and think hang on I do that! Free pointers for me! The worse thing for me is not being able to join in at the moment. My back went a couple of weeks ago and as soon as that got better I had a minor op which is just healing! So can only sit and watch but before was starting to hit the ball better than I ever had! Typical!