Check if you overswing your irons.

darriusdax

Visit site
I have recently started video shaming myself on the driving range... the results are shocking... if you said i lifted my foot or went over parallel with an 8 iron i would never have believed you but the video dont lie !!!!!! A wee bit of practice and feeling like im half swinging but with a good follow through and suddenly im hitting an 8 iron straight and consistently 150 yards.. a wee bit less than my old swing... but much more accurate.... I can highly recommend videoing all your range sessions.

darriusdax

Visit site
No chance of me going beyond parallel....I'd need an ambulance
i guess thats why my left foot lifts up ... heel nearly off the ground !! because otherwise my lower spine would spit the dummy give up the ghost and say sionnara... did i spell that right ??

AdamC28

Visit site
After a lesson with a pro last week it was highlighted to me that I take the club far past an optimal line.
I will be doing some work on the range with video to try and get my back swing shorter, only taking the club to parallel.

darriusdax

Visit site
After a lesson with a pro last week it was highlighted to me that I take the club far past an optimal line.
I will be doing some work on the range with video to try and get my back swing shorter, only taking the club to parallel.
its surprising how little distance you lose with what feels a half swing

darriusdax

Visit site
Lets not forget its how many not How;)
true ... but if we mid handicappers can work out how.. then how many gets less... if you follow me... i now know how i have been spraying irons left and right... im sure i will forget this like a goldfish... and be found continuing to spray balls in a few weeks time :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
true ... but if we mid handicappers can work out how.. then how many gets less... if you follow me... i now know how i have been spraying irons left and right... im sure i will forget this like a goldfish... and be found continuing to spray balls in a few weeks time :)
not really i chased a perfect swing for ages, settled for my short flat swing... down to 4;)

In fact one of the worst swings you ever see at Tain is the guy at who's off goes between +1 and scratch

darriusdax

Visit site
not really i chased a perfect swing for ages, settled for my short flat swing... down to 4;)

In fact one of the worst swings you ever see at Tain is the guy at who's off goes between +1 and scratch
i bet the guy with the bad swing and low handicap doesnt overswing though... i feel sick when i watch jim furyk lol... just not human.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
its surprising how little distance you lose with what feels a half swing
True enough. A long time ago now I started shortening by backswing, not quite a half swing but certainly less than parallel at the top. Think Finau's driver backswing maybe. But I don't think I really lost any distance at all, the main plus was making good contact much more consistently. I've kept the shortened backswing ever since. Even if I go to parallel it feels like overswinging and I lose it on the way down.

darriusdax

Visit site
unbelievable... so this is the swing i felt was half... and which got me 3x more greens in regulation than normal today...... and im still over parallel... im annoyed but mega excited that if i can cement the feeling of a shorter swing im gonna play much better golf

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20190711-214531.jpg
    VideoCapture_20190711-214531.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 45

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lol, your perception of half must be miles off. What about when you need to do an ACTUAL half swing like on a 60 yard pitch or something??

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Peter Finch has done a video on this fairly recently. Think it was about hitting longer irons but said something about swinging less as the iron number increases. Seems to have helped me

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
unbelievable... so this is the swing i felt was half... and which got me 3x more greens in regulation than normal today...... and im still over parallel... im annoyed but mega excited that if i can cement the feeling of a shorter swing im gonna play much better golf
Your no where near over-swinging. It’s simply your cupped left wrist that’s allowing the club to move beyond parallel.
(Bet the palm of your glove gets worn out from re-gripping as you start your downswing)
Want to blow your mind, when you get to the top of your swing. Stop, then flatten your left wrist. Club will set into a good position instantly. Work on getting that better and consistency will come.

darriusdax

Visit site
Your no where near over-swinging. It’s simply your cupped left wrist that’s allowing the club to move beyond parallel.
(Bet the palm of your glove gets worn out from re-gripping as you start your downswing)
Want to blow your mind, when you get to the top of your swing. Stop, then flatten your left wrist. Club will set into a good position instantly. Work on getting that better and consistency will come.
Cheers. I will try... amd set up video from behind instead.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A real issue for me and yes I do get glove wear. I am trying so hard to get to a flat wrist position. When I am in a groove and swinging nicely (or even able to swing at all given my current bad back) I can a better position and the club seems to fall into a far better place to get back out in front and turn on top of. When I cup I seem to constantly play catch up