Changing Your Own Shafts?

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm looking to replace a steel shaft on an iron and thinking about doing a DIY job and wanted to see how feasible it is and if anyone here has tried it.

Plenty of youtube hints, but how powerful a heat gun should i buy - hoping just a "modestly priced" B&Q one would do. I'm clearly not going to buy a shaft pulling machine, can i do it with oven gloves and and a bit of elbow grease after i've melted the epoxy.

Usually after I do a DIY job I just wish I'd got the pro to do it, but i have ambitions of changing some other shafts around in the future, and I'm not wanting to spend £10 ish per club if i'm doing a full set.

Anyone tried it and then really wished they hadn't?

G

guest100718

Ive done 2 DIY shafts, I found the heat gun took ages and I ended up using the gas cooker........ But its pretty easy overall and I would happily do it again. same thing for re gripping, dead easy.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
agreed. Steel is significantly easier to do that graphite as the graphite shaft often breaks apart from the heat. If you are not using golf specific glue, just get some Araldite (think thats how its spelt).

always does the job.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Super easy to do on an iron.
1. Sick hosel under a boiling kettle to loosen ferrule and move up the shaft
2. Heat gun even a moderate priced one, for around 2 mins on the hosel.
3. Twist head and shaft until it comes out.
4. Clean up hosel straight away.
5. Prep new shaft tip with emery cloth to roughen up so glue holds.
6. Glue in place, cleaning up any excess epoxy with turps/spirits.
7. Measure and cut to size using a pipe cutter, and put on a grip

30 mins tops.easy peasy

G

guest100718

gamola golf is a good place for all your club making needs.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't be afraid to do it yourself. A standard heat gun is fine. I use one that I got from Screwfix and it's just fine (helps if it comes with a concentrator nozzle, helps you direct the heat better).
As it's a steel shaft in an iron then there is little that can go worng. You won't break anything or melt the head (unless it's a really poor knock off :D).
Give it a go, Shewy's guide above is pretty spot on (although holding it above the kettle might work better for getting the ferrule up the shaft ;))
It's a fairly easy process. If you use a two part rapid set epoxy then club will be ready to use in around 4-6 hours normally (although over-night cure is recommended).