Changing your natural shot shape or not.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A mate of mine has spent years working on a soft cut. It has knocked 30 yards off his drives. He has recently gone back to his natural draw, and is hitting it miles. He is a good golfer too, but his coach thought he would be more consistent with the fade. I can't see it. I play with him every week, and he is much better off with the draw.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
back from tonights lesson and after an hour lesson and a details chat things are moving through.

After discusssing this thread and what was going on with my thoughts regarding fighting a natural shot shape, he went through the process of explaining why he is fighting me on this soft cuts thing.

after spending all of my golfing time playing with a natural draw he has me aiming for soft fades to exagerate the feeling of swinging out to in. in the first batch of lessons we worked on a neutral swing path to combat the strong draw , but it seems that my swing keeps working its way back to in to out swing path. After going through the video's and comparing them it seems that at the top of the back swing my "triangle of light" is quite small and my hands are pretty flat level with my shoulder, this is stopping me getting back to the ball square meaning im getting handsy amoungst other things which is giving me a block right, or a pull hook. by working on a exagerated out to in swing plane, im coming back down more on plane and getting a more consistent strike with a closer dispersion rate, and more importantly it enables me to hit 4i's pretty dam straight which tells me we are working in the right direction.

As a drill i was hitting half swing 5i working on cutting them around the 100 yard marker, aiming for massive cuts... after doing this for around 25 balls he asked to hit one straight..... ping.... perfect strike with a penertrating ball flight. something ive been missing for a month or too.

im gonna run with him on if for another 2 lessons before re-assessing things, i should have a swing to post on here saturday morning from the last 5 lessons.

What was interesting is if you compared my swing from last week, my arms were about 3 foot outside of plane at the top of the back swing, after a full hour lesson and a re check my arms were pointing directly at the ball at the top of the swing, with my hands more above my right shoulder and a bigger trianglee of light, .....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
after spending all of my golfing time playing with a natural draw he has me aiming for soft fades to exagerate the feeling of swinging out to in. in the first batch of lessons we worked on a neutral swing path to combat the strong draw , but it seems that my swing keeps working its way back to in to out swing path. After going through the video's and comparing them it seems that at the top of the back swing my "triangle of light" is quite small and my hands are pretty flat level with my shoulder, this is stopping me getting back to the ball square meaning im getting handsy amoungst other things which is giving me a block right, or a pull hook. by working on a exagerated out to in swing plane, im coming back down more on plane and getting a more consistent strike with a closer dispersion rate, and more importantly it enables me to hit 4i's pretty dam straight which tells me we are working in the right direction.

Sounds like I wasn't a million miles out with my original post. Sometimes I do know roughly what I'm talking about. :D ;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
after a full hour lesson and a re check my arms were pointing directly at the ball at the top of the swing, with my hands more above my right shoulder and a bigger trianglee of light, .....

...another slicer is born :p

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think you should have some lessons with me so we can push you through the sound barrier and get you to comfy single figures... you know you want it!! :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Anytime you're ready to be parted with some cash I'm available :)

I don't think it will be a challenge at all. Few hours on the practice ground/range and we'll find your game :)

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just caught up with this thread. I can relate to everything youre saying Oddsocks , as this was pretty much my game a few years ago. Always had a nice natural draw that turned into a massive hook a few times a round or when trying to not hook i'd hold the club off for a nice big block right.

Although my draw was a thing of beauty and got many admiring comments it was doing my head in. Since coming back to golf a couple of years ago i've worked very hard on getting a nice soft fade off my drives but staightened my irons out. Mostly worked on grip and finding a slight out to in swing path. My scoring is better and i'm much more in control of my bad shots. Occasionally i'll come over the top and blast it straight left but we all get it wrong sometimes dont we ?

The good thing is that when i require a nice draw round trees or whatever i've just got to go back to my natural set up and there it is.

Keep working at it as in the end you'll have a much more reliable game to move forward with.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
well ive just enrolled on another course of 5 lessons, one of which was used last night, if i cant get this soft cut thing nailed byt then it will total 20 lessons and then its over to justone to see what he can do....