Changing tape layers whilst keeping grips

Moff

Head Pro
Visit site
I recently got a custom fitted set of Mizuno irons which on the fitters reccomendation came with two layers of grip tape.
I'm really struggling with consistency & feel its down to the grips being a little two thick for my hand size. I'm looking to get the clubs "re-gripped" but keeping the existing grips as they are only 6 weeks old & having all tape removed & replaced with one layer only.

Is this possible without damaging the existing grips?

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That's a good question Moff, and strange cos i got fitted for my JPX 800's and was also told that two layers of tape were required when i've always played standard, i'd love to get the grips off and put one layer on but keep the originals but i don't know if that's possible, i never thought that two layers would make that much difference but i'm toiling with the consistency as well, keep us posted if you change them and i'll do likewise.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the grips are relatively new you should be able to "blow" them off.Failing that you could get them off by forcing fluid down the grip,but its a very messy job.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A decent pro should be able to syringe them off and if in decent condition re-use them, they do split or break sometimes when getting them off though

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmmmm....

Bought new irons fairly recently, not yet achieved consistency, must be the grip thickness that's wrong.

You can't get the fitters now days

Come on guys, get real. At a guess, each extra layer of tape widens the grip by what? 1/25", 1/50" ?? What's the variation in thickness of new/old gloves? Is the suggested grip size based on a gloved or ungloved hand?? The thickness of the glove must be the equivalent of several layers of tape.

Somehow I think that you should consider that all may not be as you first thought. ;) ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have to agree with leftie (damn)

If someone asks for 2 layers of tape, that's just one more than normal unless you ask for 2 extra layers of tape.
You could do it yourself if you have a grip syringe, but they cost around £65-£70

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Leftie,
I note your comments, if it doesnt matter how many layers of tape are on then why waste tape. Of course it matters man, you get a grip if you pardon the pun, the question from my point of view was, has the slight variation in grip thickness changed how if feels in my hands, not can it cause me to be crap, maybe i didn't word my reply very well. I wouldn't have thought that one extra layer would have made any difference to the flex but i do know that the more layers the stiffer the shaft gets.Perhaps Bob the pro could answer that if he doesn't mind. :p

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bob,i've heard this said amongst the 'elite' at our club but could never understand why putting extra layers on could affect the shaft stiffness, i always assumed it was decided by the size of your hands how many layers you'd need, the question i'd asked originally before lefties wisecrack was 'Can having an extra layer of tape on the grips make the club feel so different to standard grips and tape that it's causing me to swing or grip differently to my last set of standard irons. For your info Bob, Spec was half inch shorter than standard, two layers of tape, 2 degrees flat and 'soft step xp gold steel'.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
needmoreclub, having met leftie i can assure you it wasnt a wisecrack, he's not that way inclined. I do think he was being genuine when he asked to you honestly believe thats the difference.

Regarding tape making your shafts stiffer, i cannot scientifically see how this would be possible.

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oddsocks, As you can see i'm a newbie here so perhaps over reacted to lefties well intented comments, no offence meant, sorry leftie, just getting more and more frustrated with my game as it's fallen to bits since taking ownership of my 'custom fitted clubs',and looking for any help available, off for lessons next week, although i was playing ok with my 'standard bats' God i wish i hated golf. :D

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Jason, thanks for putting that myth to bed, just goes to show that some of the so called 'elite guys' at our club may be cracking golfers but don't know much about equipment. Put's my desperate theory to bed about my 'two layers of tape grip' changing my swing. Oh well here's hoping the pro next week can put my mind at rest that the clubs are fine and it's me that needs work. ;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think someone is pulling your chain about extra layers making the shaft stiffer, what it does is make the grip thicker. Thicker grips may make you hand action(release) quieter, nothing to do with shaft flex though.

What about wrapping the whole shaft with grip tape?

Would that make the shft stiffer :D :D :D

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gareth on a serious note, where do you play as I am attached to De Vere Wychwood Park which isn't far from you.

I play at Blythe Bridge GC. Wychwood Park is a beautiful track. Only played it once, but was well impressed.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
As you can see i'm a newbie here so perhaps over reacted to lefties well intented comments, no offence meant, sorry leftie, just getting more and more frustrated with my game as it's fallen to bits since taking ownership of my 'custom fitted clubs',and looking for any help available, off for lessons next week, although i was playing ok with my 'standard bats' God i wish i hated golf. :D

No offence taken mate.

My points were well intended but with a little bit of "tongue in cheek". Reading between the lines of many Forumers who have been custom fitted, it may take a little time before you start playing your "better" golf with your new bats. Yes, you may notice a slight difference in the grip size with an extra layer of tape but even a new replacement grip on an old club would also feel different.

By the look of it, your custom fitted spec is considerably different to a standard spec and that will take a lot of getting used to.

New clubs always play better until paid for. :D :D :D

mini_me

www.spreadshirt.co.uk
A mate at my golf club got fitted just as the season started and payed alot of money for them he played crap straight from the start of recievinghis"custom fitted"clubs he never got liked them from day 1 he went to see a more "local" pro and he fitted him and the clubs that he had were totally wrong for him he has now changed them at great expense and his handicap has come down by 2 strokes in a matter of weeks my advice would be to go to a different pro shop and see if it the club fitting that is correct for you or if you still got your old clubs try them out first I dont think that one extra layer of tape would make a massive difference.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you put the extra tape over the grip then you wouldn't have to take the grips off.

If you find the swing weight of the club is out after fitting the tape then you can always add a bit of lead tape to the face of the club.