Changing tape layers whilst keeping grips

BogeyHole

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I thought Mizuno were a good company.

If you went back to them to get it fixed, wouldn't they do it FOC ?

:cool:

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Leftie/Mimi me, Cheers guys for your input, leftie, very good point about the spec being so different from standard, suppose i was blinded by the 'custom fit' and expected to pick them up and shoot the lights out. Mini, got a lesson on Tuesday to get the 'once over' from the pro and he's going to check my spec from the fitting. After all the feedback on here i'm pretty sure it's sod all to do with the clubs, just my ambition getting in the road of my ability. I'll keep you posted if anyone's interested enough. :D

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bogey,I've not really got any issues with Mizuno, Fitting was done locally by the pro i'm seeing on Tuesday, if there is any spec not the same as the fitting i'd expect it done FOC, anything else i'd expect to pay to get altered, can't complain about the fitting, in my limited knowledge he appeared to know what he was doing and used the computer print out to send th mizuno for the clubs to be made.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spec was half inch shorter than standard, two layers of tape, 2 degrees flat and 'soft step xp gold steel'.

If I remember correctly from my fitting 1/2 in. difference in shaft length is equivalent to 1 deg, and if I also have it the right way round that 1/2 in. shorter makes them 3 deg flat

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Viscount17,
You could be bang on regarding the lie, fitter said that Mizuno wouldn't attempt any more than 2 degrees flat as clubs are the cast model not the forged JPX pro model. Again showing my ignorance here (thought i knew a lot until i came on here LOL)the one degree you mention is that increasing the loft or delofting the iron, cheers in advance. :)

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
Ive had Mizunos fitted at Wrexham this year- Some JPX 800 Pros - the spec surprised me the grip was thickers and the shafts stiffer- I didnt like them at first - but they are the longest straightest irons ive ever hit now ive got used to them and the mizuno forged feeling is wonderful.
Be aware that if you are new to the game and you havent got a repeatable swing it can be very difficult to fit, that said if the fit is wrong you should be looking to put it right.
My suggestion is get a lesson but not from the guy who fitted you, the pro will tell you if the clubs are wrong, its a good way of getting a seciond opinion.
Did they use the Mizuno DNA club at your fitting?

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
MarkA,
Are you talking about the small digital thing that clips onto the shaft? If thats the DNA then yes. I've actually just had a lesson on Tuesday and like yourself it's getting better all the time, it appears that i was slightly hooding the club at address sometimes and setting up ok the rest of the time, pro seems to think that would explain the difference in distance i was getting (you live and learn i suppose, still having problems with the ball coming off the face real hot around the green but it's something i can work on, thanks for your input mate. :D

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
MarkA,
Are you talking about the small digital thing that clips onto the shaft? If thats the DNA then yes. I've actually just had a lesson on Tuesday and like yourself it's getting better all the time, it appears that i was slightly hooding the club at address sometimes and setting up ok the rest of the time, pro seems to think that would explain the difference in distance i was getting (you live and learn i suppose, still having problems with the ball coming off the face real hot around the green but it's something i can work on, thanks for your input mate. :D

Most Mizuni fitters seem to know what they are doing and its a question of getting used to what is a correct fit.
It took me a couple of months, but you wouldnt get my Mizunos off me now! Stick with it

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the grips are the Golf Pride Multi compound ones, then they are slightly thinner hence the need for 2 layers of tape when normally one would suffice.

I had exactly the same when I was fitted at the Mizuno National Fitting Centre and the Mizuno fitter explained why.