Changing Spikes

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is a special place in hell reserved for the inventor of spikes. Who thought it was a good idea to have to out a metal tool in 2 little holes that wear away and fill with compacted dirt. Tell you what, lets make it so the tool will rip through the rubber of the spikes. All the development money invested in shoes that cost more than ever and nobody has come up with a better method oh, and while you are at it, lets make all brands take different spikes that have fittings that look similar with similar names. Rant over

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a special place in hell reserved for the inventor of spikes. Who thought it was a good idea to have to out a metal tool in 2 little holes that wear away and fill with compacted dirt. Tell you what, lets make it so the tool will rip through the rubber of the spikes. All the development money invested in shoes that cost more than ever and nobody has come up with a better method oh, and while you are at it, lets make all brands take different spikes that have fittings that look similar with similar names. Rant over
It’s all sorted with a pair of pliers.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The footjoy people I met the other week touched on the spike issue. Via a mixture of spike mfrs merging and mfrs getting together all spiked shoes should have a universal fitting within 2-3 yrs. The rest of the issue will be the same though.

Looking at the base of some of the new spikeless shoes there are some models now that have a more aggressive sole and are probably genuine all year shoes. The need for spikes will become less relevant.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

For want of a nail a shoe was lost...

If the holes have worn out, u should have changed them earlier. About 30 rounds for soft spikes, 40 rounds for metal varies on course.

Having said that get a bradall and make new holes before trying to remove then remove them by applying downward pressure whilst turning. If that fails as was said pliers can work well.

My bugbear on fastwist spikes is they untwist when u bring your right foot up in the swing. Most golfers are right handed, threads should be other way around.

D

Deleted member 23344

And then a spike falls out and, before you realise it has gone, you have walked on the empty mount and buggered it and so a new spike can’t be put in. There must be a better method!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Played with a mate a couple weeks back and he complained of losing a couple of spikes, I had a couple in the bag and asked for his shoe... what he didn't tell me was he must've lost the spikes 6 months back because the mounts were smoothed down to the sole!

The best way to notice a missing spike before the mount gets damaged is to clean your shoes after every round so you'll spot it before the mount is jiggered and if you also remove the spikes every few rounds (to clean the soles properly) it has the added bonus of stopping the little holes getting clogged up (i throw them into a little bowl of warm water for a few mins) and when you put them back mix them up so you get a more even wear

Best of all, you also have clean shoes ;)

D

Deleted member 23344

I do clean my shoes every round, but if you lose a spike early in the round, like I must have done last week, walking on paths can wreck the mount before the round’s end ... and did!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If the holes have worn out, u should have changed them earlier. About 30 rounds for soft spikes,
To my mind, of cleats have to be changed, for me, every 3-4 months then they're not fit for purpose.
I have shoes that have done 70-80 rounds and the softspikes are as good as new.
I think this is a thing made up by softspike manufacturers....

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find that when the spikes need changing the shoes are due to fall apart....as I said the the man in the "Pro" shop. Sure enough, I changed the spikes and the sole of one shoe came away on the next round. That's the last time I change spikes.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to put all my spikes in with vaseline, to help get them out easier. I did lose a few other the years as a result.
However, spikes are now a thing of the past for me and it's Ecco Biom hybrids all year round. It must be my weight, because I don't feel any less grip with the ground with these than I did with spikes.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This is the most irritating thing in the whole world. Dryjoys tour have now changed their cleat spec too. Hate buying spikes and trying to fit them, so many different combinations.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It certainly can be a pain and even just finding out what thread is in the particular shoe you have takes some research when you're buying replacements. If, like me, you have different brands then you have to have different spikes with fittings for them all.
In terms of getting them out, soaking the base of the sole in warm water for a while can help, and I tend to put a little lubricant (WD40 or vaseline) into the fitting before putting in the new spikes.

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
I ordered some replacement winter spikes for my dna`s this winter from eBay...

Turned up as a boatload of the adi zeros that caused carnage to the greens a few years ago and were banned . There must be a stockpile somewhere in China !

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of my pet peeves is people calling spikes cleats and reverse etc.

I am the worst offender though, I always get them mixed up! I guess stick with softspikes for golf...

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spikes came out of my last pair of shoes a bit easier having applied some of the suggested tactics. Trouble is, despite checking on google, these one do not have tri-lok spikes. Really should take one out to check. Back on Amazon prime for the right spikes for these shoes.