Concrete, cement?? Who knows?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Ok, help needed from those in the know.

Before the lock down my missus ordered a new greenhouse... only four foot by two foot - to house her seedlings! (apparently)

So, we spent Easter Weekend building the thing. It sits on a metal base with a prong in each corner (about 6 inches long ) that spikes into whatever base you've laid. Well, despite my protest about not having access to anything to make a base, I (under orders) flattened the site (compacted clay based soil) and the thing is sitting on that. It a flattish fairly stable spot so it's ok so far, but not sure what will happen as it dries out over summer / gets wet next winter. Classi case of 'er indoors just saying do it now with proper materials or expertise!

Local builders merchant will soon be reopening for click and collect orders.... what should I be getting to put round the frame to support it? I don't rally want to mix stuff together if can be avoided? Do I dig our round the spike and fill with whatever mix is best?

(yes I have spent my whole working life in an office! :) It shows, doesn't it?)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Post Crete is easy to use and you can get it from B&Q or Wickes.

As for the base itself, often with a greenhouse you want to plant into the ground, so a concrete slab base is out, so either a flat bit of ground or cheap paving slabs around the edge only.

Whatever it must be level or the greenhouse won’t build properly. Or might crack

I did mine with 1/2 slabs (6inches wide cut with angle grinder)on a concrete base and screwed the frame direct to the slabs, so it doesn’t need anchoring ?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It s down, so can't put and slabs down... it is already sat on the ground with the spiked corners stuck in the ground - so it feels like "dig out the area around the corners and will with post Crete!"

Thanks for the tips... might not be too bad then!

That’s what I would do, 6 inches isn’t really long enough for a ground anchor into earth, but will be ok with postcrete

Try and put the spikes at 45 degrees rather than straight down as it gives more resistance, like a tent peg

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
That’s what I would do, 6 inches isn’t really long enough for a ground anchor into earth, but will be ok with postcrete

Try and put the spikes at 45 degrees rather than straight down as it gives more resistance, like a tent peg

can't, the spikes are fixed as part of the base and perpendicular the the unit. But will see how it goes when creted in

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
4ft by 2ft sounds like a cold-frame to me. How high is it. Does it have a hinged lid? (Its certainly too small to get inside?)

If it is just a cold frame, then as long as you'd levelled the ground nicely so that there's no twist on the frame, then quite frankly, it should be ok as it is. You migh want to consider putting down a membrane and then laying a slab "floor" inside it so that you dont get weeds coming through. But that means planting seeds/seedlings into trays - but that's what I'd do anyway. (Can us a horticultural membrane but heavy plastic sheet or even bin liners would do).