Benross Fitting Experience - SHW (long post warning!)

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was lucky to get selected for the Benross experience yesterday courtesy of GM and thought a separate thread was needed (rightly or wrongly) to summarise a top day which exceeded all expectations. Having never been custom fitted for any clubs and acquiring my set mainly through trial, error and Ebay purchases I was keen to understand what model of club would suit me and get a measure on some newer technology.

The weather was extremely kind to us and as I pulled into Worthing GC about half nine there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. Having done a circuit of the clubhouse looking for anyone to do with Benross or GM, I made my way to the covered driving range where I met Ben (Oxfordcomma), Duncan the photographer and Scott from Benross. We unloaded our stuff, changed our shoes in the car park ;) and started loosening up on the range. By that time Paul and Jake joined us from GM and explained the process – individual club fitting sessions in the enclosed teaching bay followed by photos and interviews.

Ben was first up and I managed to get warmed up by hitting some balls while he was doing his thing. From looking at his shots, the introduction of graphite shafts in his irons and higher lofted hybrid really made a massive difference to height and distance of his shots, he seemed pretty happy!

I was up next as Nick (therod) was held up in traffic so he arrived as Ben was just finishing. I was asked to hit a few hybrids first which led to some nice snappers from being a bit nervous and probably trying to lash it. Scott gave me a RIP Speed 20 deg to try and immediately it straightened out the hook and flew about 190ish – easy decision.
Next up was the 3 wood – this interested me as I hit my Burner really well and from the flightscope reading I was told I had a carry of 200 with 20 yd roll out, Again I was handed the RIP Speed 3 wood 14degree and this was a total weapon! It added over 20 yards carry with similar roll but the trajectory was really excellent – not too high, perfect for the course I play – another easy decision.

The driver was next and hitting my Burner (well) Scott let me know that the spin was killing the distance – over 3k RPM. It meant the new RIP 3 wood was outstripping my current driver. Again I tried the RIP Speed 10ged driver stiff shaft and the difference to my current driver was night and day! From memory the RPM was closer to 2k, a launch angle of 13.5 degree and apparently I was knocking it out to 270/80 yds. Again the flight was amazing, not to high and penetrating.

Lastly, and to my surprise, i tried some irons and this is where the decision was closer. Scott reckoned the Max Speed irons with regular graphite shafts would be perfect, as the additional help they gave on slight mis-hits would be a benefit. I thought they just looked too clunky having been used to my Mizuno MX23’s for the last few years. I tried the RIP irons which have a compact, brushed metal head (and steel shafts) and instantly preferred the look. I hit 5 shots with each of the Max Speed and RIP and the numbers were pretty similar – enough to make me decide on the RIP for purely cosmetic reasons!

So, my final set up was:

RIP Speed 2 - 10 deg 3 wood, Aldila ATX Tour blue in stiff
RIP Speed 2 - 14 deg 3 wood, Aldila ATX Tour blue in stiff
RIP Speed 2 - 20 deg hybrid Aldila ATX Tour blue in stiff
RIP Speed 2 Irons – True Temper Dynamic Gold in Regular

Oh, and on the way out a bag is being thrown in as well – so properly Benross-ed up!

I appreciate that some would have delved into the numbers in greater detail, but I was quite happy with a limited choice – and Scott seemed very perceptive to what would suit your swing. Really happy with the choice, the only downside is now having to wait at least 3 weeks for the clubs to be ordered and delivered. Scott confirmed that Benross uses the same Asian manufacturer for the head components as other major names. It certainly seemed to me that the component parts were good quality – such as the very stable Aldila shafts and multi-compound grips.

Finally, we enjoyed watching Nick pat some senior flex graphite shafted irons up the range before we called it a day ;):D

Nick, Ben and I were then offered the chance to have a knock round the Upper Course at Worthing as the Lower was closed for maintenance. Although this is the ‘short course’ at Par 66, it was testing enough and I think we all agreed it suited us after a full morning of testing. I thoroughly enjoyed the company of Nick and Ben and it was great to meet some other forumers.:thup:

I couldn’t have been more impressed with the Benross clubs and cant wait to get out on the course with them. Scott was very knowledgeable and stressed how the company was developing in a positive way to attract the club golfer. I would urge you to have a crack with them if you get the chance, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Finally, thanks to GM for this opportunity. All the guys were great and added to the experience – even if the Q&A to camera was a bit nerve racking! The photographer went through about 20 memory cards so unfortunately our mugs will be gracing the magazine at some point.

Get into the #boomross!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was lucky to get selected for the Benross experience yesterday courtesy of GM and thought a separate thread was needed (rightly or wrongly) to summarise a top day which exceeded all expectations. Having never been custom fitted for any clubs and acquiring my set mainly through trial, error and Ebay purchases I was keen to understand what model of club would suit me and get a measure on some newer technology.

The weather was extremely kind to us and as I pulled into Worthing GC about half nine there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. Having done a circuit of the clubhouse looking for anyone to do with Benross or GM, I made my way to the covered driving range where I met Ben (Oxfordcomma), Duncan the photographer and Scott from Benross. We unloaded our stuff, changed our shoes in the car park ;) and started loosening up on the range. By that time Paul and Jake joined us from GM and explained the process – individual club fitting sessions in the enclosed teaching bay followed by photos and interviews.

Ben was first up and I managed to get warmed up by hitting some balls while he was doing his thing. From looking at his shots, the introduction of graphite shafts in his irons and higher lofted hybrid really made a massive difference to height and distance of his shots, he seemed pretty happy!

I was up next as Nick (therod) was held up in traffic so he arrived as Ben was just finishing. I was asked to hit a few hybrids first which led to some nice snappers from being a bit nervous and probably trying to lash it. Scott gave me a RIP Speed 20 deg to try and immediately it straightened out the hook and flew about 190ish – easy decision.
Next up was the 3 wood – this interested me as I hit my Burner really well and from the flightscope reading I was told I had a carry of 200 with 20 yd roll out, Again I was handed the RIP Speed 3 wood 14degree and this was a total weapon! It added over 20 yards carry with similar roll but the trajectory was really excellent – not too high, perfect for the course I play – another easy decision.

The driver was next and hitting my Burner (well) Scott let me know that the spin was killing the distance – over 3k RPM. It meant the new RIP 3 wood was outstripping my current driver. Again I tried the RIP Speed 10ged driver stiff shaft and the difference to my current driver was night and day! From memory the RPM was closer to 2k, a launch angle of 13.5 degree and apparently I was knocking it out to 270/80 yds. Again the flight was amazing, not to high and penetrating.

Lastly, and to my surprise, i tried some irons and this is where the decision was closer. Scott reckoned the Max Speed irons with regular graphite shafts would be perfect, as the additional help they gave on slight mis-hits would be a benefit. I thought they just looked too clunky having been used to my Mizuno MX23’s for the last few years. I tried the RIP irons which have a compact, brushed metal head (and steel shafts) and instantly preferred the look. I hit 5 shots with each of the Max Speed and RIP and the numbers were pretty similar – enough to make me decide on the RIP for purely cosmetic reasons!

So, my final set up was:

RIP Speed 2 - 10 deg 3 wood, Aldila ATX Tour blue in stiff
RIP Speed 2 - 14 deg 3 wood, Aldila ATX Tour blue in stiff
RIP Speed 2 - 20 deg hybrid Aldila ATX Tour blue in stiff
RIP Speed 2 Irons – True Temper Dynamic Gold in Regular

Oh, and on the way out a bag is being thrown in as well – so properly Benross-ed up!

I appreciate that some would have delved into the numbers in greater detail, but I was quite happy with a limited choice – and Scott seemed very perceptive to what would suit your swing. Really happy with the choice, the only downside is now having to wait at least 3 weeks for the clubs to be ordered and delivered. Scott confirmed that Benross uses the same Asian manufacturer for the head components as other major names. It certainly seemed to me that the component parts were good quality – such as the very stable Aldila shafts and multi-compound grips.

Finally, we enjoyed watching Nick pat some senior flex graphite shafted irons up the range before we called it a day ;):D

Nick, Ben and I were then offered the chance to have a knock round the Upper Course at Worthing as the Lower was closed for maintenance. Although this is the ‘short course’ at Par 66, it was testing enough and I think we all agreed it suited us after a full morning of testing. I thoroughly enjoyed the company of Nick and Ben and it was great to meet some other forumers.:thup:

I couldn’t have been more impressed with the Benross clubs and cant wait to get out on the course with them. Scott was very knowledgeable and stressed how the company was developing in a positive way to attract the club golfer. I would urge you to have a crack with them if you get the chance, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Finally, thanks to GM for this opportunity. All the guys were great and added to the experience – even if the Q&A to camera was a bit nerve racking! The photographer went through about 20 memory cards so unfortunately our mugs will be gracing the magazine at some point.

Get into the #boomross!

:clap:

top write up of another quality day. Enjoy the new shinies.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Great write up and I hope you love the clubs when they arrive - you and the others mug shots in the mag, that's a different matter!! :D

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice write up mate. As I said on the other the other thread it was a real bonus to be fitted for irons also, and a real eye opener in terms of what I came out with...I can't wait to get the clubs now, if I hit those senior flex graphite shafts as well on the course it's gonna be a good year :D

Cheers benross & GM

Some pics for those that can't wait :thup:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Awesome write up, sounds an amazing day! Scott (AKA Austin) knows his stuff! i recently tried some benross gear and was seriously impressed! Especially at the prices!! £149 for a driver that keeps up with anything in the £300 mark seriously should make people stop and think about it. OK the brand name is not Ping or TM, the components are great, genuine Aldila shafts in the woods, and no need to charge through the roof as they dont have any big name sponsorship deals to pay for!

Whats not to like? My local pro has taken on their range and its selling like hot cakes!

Go Team #Boomross!

D

Deleted member 17920

Great write up, Sounded an amazing day and to get a full set inc a bag each just brilliant.

Lets see all those handicaps tumble this year.

Big :thup: to Benross and GM

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Awesome write up, sounds an amazing day! Scott (AKA Austin) knows his stuff! i recently tried some benross gear and was seriously impressed! Especially at the prices!! £149 for a driver that keeps up with anything in the £300 mark seriously should make people stop and think about it. OK the brand name is not Ping or TM, the components are great, genuine Aldila shafts in the woods, and no need to charge through the roof as they dont have any big name sponsorship deals to pay for!

Whats not to like? My local pro has taken on their range and its selling like hot cakes!

Go Team #Boomross!

I think what has always let down the clubs at the lower end of the scale has been the quality of shaft. The Aldila ones in the clubs I tried, including the graphite shafts for irons, seemed so stable that the gap is shrinking between the 'Names' and brands like Benross. For £149, the price of the driver is a steal.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got a nice surprise when I got back from work yesterday.....just need to get out and give them a smash! I will be sporting them at Camberley next week though.

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

Look as good as I remember - thanks again Benross & GM :thup:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got a nice surprise when I got back from work yesterday.....just need to get out and give them a smash! I will be sporting them at Camberley next week though.

View attachment 9495

View attachment 9496

View attachment 9497

View attachment 9498

View attachment 9499

Look as good as I remember - thanks again Benross & GM :thup:

excellent !! my woods/hybrids and bag arrived, I guess my irons must be still being constructed in a secret nuclear bunker somewhere. These senior flex shafts take alot of puring :thup:

just back from the range, clubs were good, my ball striking was average

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great write up and super looking kit. Have you entered for the Ping fitting? You know, for comparison purposes?:)

PS - Worthing GC have some seriously talented up and coming youngsters to look out for in a few years time.

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
SHW and therod, I am very jealous! A combination of a couple of late nights at work and then this morning's fog mean that my lovely shiny Benross set is still sitting in the corner with the wrappers on, staring at me and begging me to be allowed to hit a golf ball. Aggghh! I've owned them for 36 hours now, they should have played at least 18 holes by now! How did it go on the course tonight SHW?