changing club

Coreservers

Visit site
So i've changed.... :) gone from the not confident returnnig newbie, to a little more confident (still rubbish). But am strugglnig with the club i go to. ( Pytchley) its good enough, decent place to learn golf. but in the summer holidays really hard to get a tee time and almost impossible to book 18 holes.. So am looking at a couple, Collingtree Park, or Pavenham Park. Anyone been to either?

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Played Collingtree a few times when I lived in Northampton. It's nice but knew a few members and think it is pricey for what it is. Some nice holes but a lot of water so recall it gets quite wet in Winter. Nice finishing hole with an island green , and good facilities with a driving range attached.

If it is too expensive then I would have a look at Overstone Park or Brampton Heath. The latter is a nice course and playable all year given it is Heathland. Its also the right side of town if you live out towards Pytchely.

Obviously can't comment on tee time availability these days, but we never had issues as booking in as guests, but tended to avoid peak times.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes both. Pavenham more of a member's course - tough greens. Collingtree had become even more corporate rather than members club last time I heard. Nice course, good layout but likely to be busy with societies and visitors.

Not sure what clubs in the area have waiting lists (we do - about 80 plus I think)...have you thought about Beds & County or The Bedfordshire?

Coreservers

Visit site
Thanks folks. Interesting suggestions. I know Beds has a long waiting list. I live south of northampton, in the denton area. overstone isnt a bad shout as its quite near as is kingsthopre. And Brampton heath.. Hmmm im getting married at Brampton Grange sept 2022... :)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'd second Brampton Heath, good length course and has a range.

Also worth a look is Cold Ashby, I played there a couple of months ago and had been warned that condition wasn't great but they've been putting some work in recently and I enjoyed it.
It's a bit hilly although I like elevation changes on a course.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Overstone is a good layout but everytime I've been there recently the tee has been rammed. We've played singles scratch matches and they've crammed the course full of four balls in front (not unusual for the commitment to women's golf though)! Bunkers are shocking and a short shower of rain has them flooded.

Kingsthorpe is tight and don't think it's in great condition lately - struggling a bit financially I think. Alway get a great welcome there though.

Only played Brampton Heath once and quite enjoyed it from memory. Snooty neighbours :)

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
So i've changed.... :) gone from the not confident returnnig newbie, to a little more confident (still rubbish). But am strugglnig with the club i go to. ( Pytchley) its good enough, decent place to learn golf. but in the summer holidays really hard to get a tee time and almost impossible to book 18 holes.. So am looking at a couple, Collingtree Park, or Pavenham Park. Anyone been to either?

Pavenham is nice, played a couple of times though not for a few years, and, as someone else has said, I recall it as being tough; just looked up my score and realise I did struggle as I played it a few months after starting, though also recorded my first ever birdie!

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve played Pavenham a few times, as a friend is a member … when I go up and see him, we have a round. Good course … quite tricky without beating you up. Can’t speak for booking though, as my friend always does that.

hacker_al

Club Champion
Visit site
Delapre in Northampton has seen huge improvements over the last couple of years.
Not sure where you're based but Oundle is worth a look if it's not too far for you.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of the 2 I would choose Pavenham, once you get through the first 4 holes and a couple of silly greens out of the way its a nice enough course, always seems a welcoming, friendly place to play (we used to play there a few times a year on reciprocal/club matches etc), theyd spent a decent amount on the course too, does get a bit wet in a few places in winter (you should get 25+ reciprocals of varying standard there too)

Collingtree used to be a nice course but has deteriorated over the years, become more corporate and will become a housing estate at some point in time no doubt (1 hole at a time probably lol). Course I dont mind playing, never felt like a place I would want to be a member though

Brampton Heath is nice enough but again never felt like a members club that much, certainly used to have a high level of pay and play and last time i played an open there a lot of the members werent overly happy

Not a fan of Overstone or Kingsthorpe personally

Would Northampton (Harleston) be an option, thats a nice track and seemed a decent place to be a member?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Big group of us went to Northampton (Harleston) a few years ago for 27 hole day-out. Clubhouse, food etc excellent. Don't know about membership, but imagine its not cheap!
Highlight of that day for me was climbing over the wall at back of 12th tee and having a wee onto Earl Spencer's land. (Am I joking? ;))