Change of driver ... any opinion?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have been playing with a Taylor Made R7 CGB Max driver but have found that whilst it is great when I put the best swing on it, it is not very forgiving on the poorer swing. I tested a Callaway FT9 driver with a white Fubuki shaft and liked it - not extra distance but very forgiving. Played 9 holes before being rained off this afternoon and then hit loads at the range.

Anyone got any views??

Chris

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
TM Tour Burners are being reduced everywhere it seems and a re pretty decent. Its like any club though you have to try them. I was given an I15 in a 9.5 head and thought I'd never be able to hit I but it felt great with decent distance for me but still under control so I have to say I'm tempted

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nike machspeed mate, have a look, although i have a voodoo shaft in as an upgrade, try the stock shaft and see, very forgiving and as long as my ft5 and prob longer!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had my FT-9 for nearly a year now and had an FT-5 before that. Great drivers. I could write a list as long as my arm of the ones I have had before but these are head and shoulders above the rest. Did a fitting session at the Belfry when I had my FT-5 and tried all sorts of drivers but the FT-9 was the only one better than my current one. Part of the attraction with Callaway drivers, for me, is the fact that they have a reasonable shaft length and I find them more controleable.

Would have no hesitation at recommending the FT-9 especially now you can pick one up new for £189. The only other one that may be worth a try is the FT-IQ, not hit one myself but meant to be ultra forgiving and now available for £149

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Would have no hesitation at recommending the FT-9 especially now you can pick one up new for £189.

The one that I have tried is the one from the fitting bay that the Pro put together and is asking £150 which seems ok for a decent Callaway.

A

Alex1975

I have a Callaway FT-IQ, I love it. If your looking for forgiveness this club has it. My drive is one of the strong points of my game but once a week or so I will catch the ball on the heal and I can feel it but it still goes away ok. Great fubuki shaft gives me loads of fell on all shots. Best club in my bag!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not enough information.

What happens with the poorer swing with the TM - hook, slice, duff?. What shaft, flex and loft are the TM and FT9? What handicap and driving distance is the OP?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

What happens with the poorer swing with the TM - hook, slice, duff?. What shaft, flex and loft are the TM and FT9? What handicap and driving distance is the OP?

I agree, so h/c 11, usually slice from over the top moves,drive average 260 yds, but play a tree lined course where driving straight is a premium.The shaft is 65g regular and the weight bolts suit best a slight draw.

The Callaway is now purchased and I hit loads yesterday and the bad swings were not as destructive as with the TM. If I hit 2 more fairways with the new club and save 2 shots per round it's single figures and fulfil my dream.

Chris

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I agree, so h/c 11, usually slice from over the top moves,drive average 260 yds, but play a tree lined course where driving straight is a premium.The shaft is 65g regular and the weight bolts suit best a slight draw.

The Callaway is now purchased and I hit loads yesterday and the bad swings were not as destructive as with the TM. If I hit 2 more fairways with the new club and save 2 shots per round it's single figures and fulfil my dream.

Chris

Thanks

The reason I asked is that it was not obvious if the TM was too little or too much club for you, hence a recommendation was impossible (although you got some anyway!). I assumed the former if a Callaway with Fubuki was better. Fubuki is a decent solid shaft and the TM stock shaft in the CGB is pretty rubbish. A lesson for that over the top swing might be a good idea too!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A lesson for that over the top swing might be a good idea too!

I have almost eradicated the OTT move with lessons, but like all faults, if you put a bad swing on a club I think we all have the problem that affects only us, and for me its "over the top", and its likely to happen more with the longest club in the bag. It may only happen once in a round but on days when I am not swinging well I think that a more forgiving driver is likely to score for me.

Chris

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
A lesson for that over the top swing might be a good idea too!

I have almost eradicated the OTT move with lessons, but like all faults, if you put a bad swing on a club I think we all have the problem that affects only us, and for me its "over the top", and its likely to happen more with the longest club in the bag. It may only happen once in a round but on days when I am not swinging well I think that a more forgiving driver is likely to score for me.

Chris

The OTT move and I are not strangers!

I find that if I start down quick, OTT looms, but if I take a momentary pause at the top, it goes better.

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
Try a taylor made burner, I used a 10.5 with a reg flex for a while and found it really good. I now use a R7 limited 8.5 and it playes really well, but my bad shot is now a 10yrd cut and not the draw.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Try a taylor made burner, I used a 10.5 with a reg flex for a while and found it really good. I now use a R7 limited 8.5 and it playes really well, but my bad shot is now a 10yrd cut and not the draw.

Thanks for the posting Lee. I have bought the Callaway and love it just returned from the range and have rarely hit a driver better. I could even shape shots with it. I have almost all Taylor Made club in the bag and sold a Burner driver when I bought the R7 and that was a mistake. I am happy now!

Chris