Has golf club technology improved in recent years - is it worth upgrading my Cobra driver?

Clot

Visit site
I'm 64, and I play to a handicap of 19. I use a Cobra S3 Max driver, which when hit properly now goes about 220 yards (it used to be 250!). I think this driver first came to the market ten years ago.
As I age, my swing speed has slowed down.
Is it worth upgrading my driver to gain a few extra yards? Thinking of eg Ping Max G400, Callaway Mavrik Max.
Cost isn't really an issue, but I don't want to needlessly trade up.
Would welcome any views, thanks.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes and no getting something fit to you will definitely be a benefit but gaining 30yards will be an achievement, something as simple as a shaft change could be all you needing, as technology changes at our level there isn't much between modern drivers it's all in the shaft you use imo

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The biggest change is going to be the ability to try different shafts and different lofts on the same driver (as per the S3) which you cannot do on the S3 Max. You may find new heads* and shafts are lighter than you currently use. This may or may not suit you

Having a better combination to suit your current swing speed may see you gain some length.

There is a lot more use of carbon in the better heads (mainly the crowns) these days and that allows the weight to be better distributed to help get the ball in the air etc.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am same age as you and imo a fitting is a must.
A lighter senior flex might be better.
A more spinning head to maximise carry etc.
The new ping G425 would be my recommendation if your going ping.
It’s more expensive yes but I have tried one and it’s a massive improvement over the G400.
The shaft is massive , they have improved so much in ten years, I still hit it as far now as when I was 40.
That’s down to the tech imo.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Even the cobra technology has massively moved on, I think a change every seven-ten years is a good service and you should have seen some leaps and bounds in head and shaft tech