Is it worth upgrading my clubs?

Grieve14

Head Pro
Visit site
I have owned clubs for the last 4 years but I have only played, at most, 3 rounds a year. 2 months ago I started playing properly and joined a club, I have since got my H/C from 35 to 18 and I am really enjoying the game and my improvement. Ideally I would like to get to 15 or below in the next few months.

My short game is ok but I sometimes have trouble when hitting my mid/long irons and hybrids, but my driver is fine. I currently carry;

SLDR 10.5 driver
2H & 3H Cleveland Launcher DST
4-PW Wilson Staff Ci9 irons
52, 56 and 60 Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0

I am looking to maybe ditch my 2H & 3H and add a 3 wood (possibly 16.5 deg) and a new hybrid (maybe a 3 (19 deg) or even 4 (22)). I am then wondering, with new technologies etc, is it worth upgrading my irons? I hit my current irons ok up to the 7 but after that it is not too consistent. With new technologies will i find the longer irons a lot more forgiving and hit them straighter? or will it not make a lot of difference?

I suppose what I'm asking is - has anyone upgraded their older (5 years+) irons for something like the RSi taylormade irons and noticed a difference that warrants the upgrade?

I hope all that makes sense!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not worth changing the irons imo - unless they no longer fit you. You can get a lot of lessons or range balls for the cost of that upgrade!

Might be worth changing the 2H for a FW, but I'd suggest you find the FW first. Actually, a 4W (or even consider 5W) would be my recommendation rther than 3W - easier to hit from both Tee and deck and quite probably goes further too!

Grieve14

Head Pro
Visit site
Not worth changing the irons imo - unless they no longer fit you. You can get a lot of lessons or range balls for the cost of that upgrade!

Might be worth changing the 2H for a FW, but I'd suggest you find the FW first. Actually, a 4W (or even consider 5W) would be my recommendation rther than 3W - easier to hit from both Tee and deck and quite probably goes further too!

I have no idea if they fit me or not haha - I bought them off ebay years ago and have just used them.

Thanks for the suggestion on the hybrids and FW, I think i need to hit a few 3W's and 5W's. I think my curiosity regarding the irons has come about from the fact I haven't been fitted, never really tried any others and when comparing the specs of them to other clubs they seem very different.

By different I dont mean lofts. Lofts doesnt bother me, I'll work out yardages and hit whats right irrelevant of whether its a 7 or 6 iron, but the shaft length being one of the main things i noticed - the Ci9's being nearly an inch longer on each club over say the TM RSi 2's

luke123

Medal Winner
Visit site
see if your pro shop will let you take a demo iron out on the course and compare it with your current clubs etc

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Buying new clubs is rarely a decision made with the Head; few golfers actually NEED new clubs - if you have the cash and fancy a change go for it.

Of course if you decide on a change then getting the best advice you can at a custom fit on some of the latest is a wise move.