caught no using a winter mat

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like the idea of the rocket lancher. I could use it all the time, as it looks way more forgiving than grass and mud.

I have one and can confirm they are really forgiving- you can hit pretty fat and it still flies, ball also spins like crazy off them.... I've actually shot some of my best rounds off them BUT it's the reason I don't use it as much now- much prefer moving to 1st cut and placing as you really want your bad shots to show up don't you? better for practice

only time I'll really use is if I'm bang in the middle of the fairway and either side I'd be up/downslope or if I'm 50 yards and under and moving to side would give me a tricky shot over a bunker

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have one and can confirm they are really forgiving- you can hit pretty fat and it still flies, ball also spins like crazy off them.... I've actually shot some of my best rounds off them BUT it's the reason I don't use it as much now- much prefer moving to 1st cut and placing as you really want your bad shots to show up don't you? better for practice

only time I'll really use is if I'm bang in the middle of the fairway and either side I'd be up/downslope or if I'm 50 yards and under and moving to side would give me a tricky shot over a bunker

Is there not a huge bog at the 260 mark in the first cut from everyone playing from the same spot? Or did I miss how this works?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there not a huge bog at the 260 mark in the first cut from everyone playing from the same spot? Or did I miss how this works?

LOL are we all so accurate that we hit the same sides and same distances with each shot (assuming everyone taking driver)?

So in effect no- I've never seen patches of several divots in one place.... tbh usually I'm there in the 1st place anyway :D

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have mats on at the moment. All members I play with just get on with it as they know it's for the best.

I don't agree with being allowed to move the ball into the semi as these areas can be a complete mess at the end of the winter.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've never had to use winter mats but the thing that annoys me about this is not restricted to winter mats or even golf. I just don't understand why some people think the rules don't apply to them? If the club says use winter mats then that means everyone, if the train carriage says don't use your phone then that means everyone. Why people think they are special and above the rules is beyond me.

Anyhow, back to the OP...if they are caught repeatedly then they should be banned until the mat rule is lifted.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you wants rules like this do you not need a course marshal too? I know its thought to be inefficient financially but telling tales on fellow members cannot be good for club spirit?!

NB I am aware that golf should be played by people who are honourable but ... back in the real world ...

can't be good for club spirit to ignore the rule that 95% of the rest of the members are doing and agree with, i'd imagine thats a far greater issue.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never had to use winter mats but the thing that annoys me about this is not restricted to winter mats or even golf. I just don't understand why some people think the rules don't apply to them? If the club says use winter mats then that means everyone, if the train carriage says don't use your phone then that means everyone. Why people think they are special and above the rules is beyond me.

Anyhow, back to the OP...if they are caught repeatedly then they should be banned until the mat rule is lifted.

I think people know the rules apply to them, I just one think they care.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
can't be good for club spirit to ignore the rule that 95% of the rest of the members are doing and agree with, i'd imagine thats a far greater issue.

For sure, its a complicated scenario as people pay for the privilege to being a member and as they pay its tricky to impose penalties. However being caught is an embrarasment that might tend to be a better deterent.

Patrick, you did not say in the OP what the penaltie is, I assume there is not really one hence the post?

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have used them for about 9 years now and everyone agrees they save the fairways. Our course is solid clay and at this time of year is very very gloopy, we all carry sticks to clean the front wheels of our trolleys so fairway mats have been accepted by the membership as being a necessary evil I cant recall anyone not using their mat in fact its the opposite, we have to stop them using it off the fairway. Scores in the accumulative stableford I run show that the course definitely is easier when playing off mats.. Certainly if we had to go down the route Crazyface recommends we would be closed 6 months of the year and out of business in very short order. But then he plays in Scotland where everyone knows the terrain is made for golf...

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
... But then he plays in Scotland where everyone knows the terrain is made for golf...

Only the links courses, parkland courses up here can be very wet.

Many links courses up here are on mats for a couple of months not because they are wet but because grass won't regrow.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If the course is so bad underfoot that you need a mat to protect it then you shouldn't be on the course it should be shut and you should get a refund of subs. Also for every day the course is closed the club should get a refund of rates to pay subs refunds.

Seems fair.

Think about why you don't mow your lawn in the winter and how that translates to recovery of divots. Soil temperature has to be a consistent above 6-7 degrees, incl nights etc for grass to grow.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Really? Who cares is it that big a deal? And if you find it is confront them about they will probably say sorry and continue to do it when your not looking lol

Have you joined this forum to contribute or just to troll?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My first year of playing golf me and regular pp seen the lady captain of the club ignoring this rule a couple of times over the winter...I didn't dare say anything at the time.

Its those who should be setting an example who should be confronted, if they don't lead then the rest are unlikely to follow.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The course hasn't adapted their use for the fun of it, its to protect the fairways over the winter where there could be little or no growth for some months.

there are a couple of guys who are reg seen not using the mat, one was given a telling last winter for not using it.

just wondered if anyone else who's club had mats knew of any action taken for it.

Have you reported them?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Have you reported them?

one of them,yep so have a few others in our group, plus a couple of committee guys caught him as well. Last year winter the starter who was helping out going divot filling on another hole saw him and watched him on the next hole, where he did it again. he was called in and told he must use a mat.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
one of them,yep so have a few others in our group, plus a couple of committee guys caught him as well. Last year winter the starter who was helping out going divot filling on another hole saw him and watched him on the next hole, where he did it again. he was called in and told he must use a mat.

Surely if it's gone on for two winters the club has enough to take action which begs the question why haven't they?

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Seems like the perfect punishment, chain the offenders to the the buggy and drag them around doing divots for 2 hours :lol: